Pets and Wildlife Forum

Pets and Wildlife Forum (http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com//index.php)
-   Squirrels (http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Strange Sounds (http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com//showthread.php?t=838)

MissDolittle 10-14-2008 07:36 PM

Strange Sounds

I have 8 grays left and they are all outside and off antibiotics. They all had pneumonia, of which we believe it was viral. All 8 look healthy and eat well on their own, but still get formula twice a day.

Now I got this one squirrel, that is making sounds i have never heard before. At first I thought she's injured, hurt, stuck, in total distress, but each time I hear it, I run out in panic, expecting blood and guts and whatnot, but she's just sitting there, making these sounds...clearly upset at something, but not in any distress really.

Anyways, today I managed to grab my camcorder and run outside and catch it on tape. I never heard a squirrel make these sounds before, have you??? I know the chattering is the sound of being upset, but the rusty door sound...?

Helenmary 10-14-2008 11:30 PM

Re: Strange Sounds

Wow, that's pretty amazing! She almost sounds like she's trying to mimic a blue jay (or a chicken..lol)
But you're right, she looks good so it must just be another one of those squirrelly things. Or maybe she's just vocally gifted....

MissDolittle 10-15-2008 08:28 AM

That's interesting that you mention a blue jay, because that's exactly what is sitting on top of that enclosure and screams half the morning lol.

The squirrel also saw a cat a few minutes before the noises started. Maybe this one is "The Alerter", hehehe.

Fluffytial 10-15-2008 09:47 AM

It sounds like the distress call of a baby squirrel just a little rusty. I've never heard it before though. I am going to search the internet and see if I can get some info on gray squirrel language:smile29:

MissMuffett 10-16-2008 02:19 AM

What an odd noise! They do look very healthy.

matrixdukenukem008 10-19-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMuffett (Post 5645)
What an odd noise! They do look very healthy.

even changu makes odd sounds sometimes. do they immitate or tease anything they see? changu does this when he is very naughty usually during daylight. i think sometimes they eat something that get structed in their throat, to remove it they might be doing such things. like we do when fish bone gets stucted in our throat.

Helenmary 10-19-2008 10:20 PM

OK, you're not going to believe this. Due to some resituating of JohnJohn's home (he bit someone so I had to move him...), I had the pleasure of waking up to a noise very similar outside my window this morning. I saw it was him and immediately ran outside to see why JohnJohn was screaming bloody murder. Uh, a blue jay was trying to steal peanuts and was making the exact same sound whenever JohnJohn defended his "property". Then JohnJohn would scream back (twice as loud I might add). He didn't really seem afraid of the bird, just angry. They continued to yell back and forth until the blue jay flew away. I had never heard him do this before and I'm not sure it's something I want to hear a lot again. It was enough to raise the dead (and the hair on the back of my neck).
Strange....

MissDolittle 10-20-2008 09:37 AM

Now you know what I felt like! And we DO have a blue jay here too. I never heard of squirrels mimicking anything, but hey, maybe we are on to something? But one would think somebody else would have discovered that fact way before us, lol.

Helenmary 10-20-2008 10:22 PM

Yeah, it's pretty odd. But I have heard them make the little clicking noise in response to my clicks so maybe they are impersonators at heart. All I know is that sound, doubled by the overall loudness, was something I won't soon forget.