Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Default Pounds/Shelters

Ok so I just went onto the Maricopa County animal care and control site.... 262 dogs and 231 cats.... this is ONE shelter out of many...and only in ONE county. Sorry just feel the need to get this out there so people realize the economy effects animals as well. I wish I had a bigger home and lots of money to rescue many of these animals lol
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Pounds/Shelters

What would be of real good use is a mobile vet clinic! All these vets here have such high prices that they contribute more to the overpopulation than anybody else. Who can afford it these days?

There is no such thing than low cost spaying and neutering or a rabies drive where a shot costs 5 bucks in small towns like this. Sure in big cities it's usually available, but out here we are at the mercy of what the vets demand.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
What would be of real good use is a mobile vet clinic! All these vets here have such high prices that they contribute more to the overpopulation than anybody else. Who can afford it these days?

There is no such thing than low cost spaying and neutering or a rabies drive where a shot costs 5 bucks in small towns like this. Sure in big cities it's usually available, but out here we are at the mercy of what the vets demand.

How unfortunate. We have low cost spay/neuter clinics through the county shelters but to be honest when I worked at a vet office we saw a lot of these animals with infections and horrible scars because the cheaper the cost the more pathetic the work and treatment which in itself is so unfortunate. Its always about money now-a-days. If youre not paid or underpaid you dont feel the need to do the best job. Now granted what I said doesnt apply to EVERY low cost vet so dont ever be afraid to go see one. Again I wish I had money to help others like in these situations. Thats why i always try to recommend people get pets from shelters because they spay/neuter them for you
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

A lot of people seem to believe that shelters are obliged to spay/neuter/vaccine before they adopt the animals out. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Our shelter can't afford to even have an injured animal treated leave alone vaccinated, spayed or neutered. All they can do is hand out a 20 Dollar coupon that some vets honor here.

They still call themselves a "pound" and not a shelter...maybe that's where the difference lies. 3000 animals in a year, 2500 are being euthanized. This town has a population of 12 000.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
A lot of people seem to believe that shelters are obliged to spay/neuter/vaccine before they adopt the animals out. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Our shelter can't afford to even have an injured animal treated leave alone vaccinated, spayed or neutered. All they can do is hand out a 20 Dollar coupon that some vets honor here.

They still call themselves a "pound" and not a shelter...maybe that's where the difference lies. 3000 animals in a year, 2500 are being euthanized. This town has a population of 12 000.

wow, did not know that... you learn something new everyday. The shelters/pounds here do neuter/spay pets (but not strays until their time to go up for adoption comes around) but they do not vaccinate with rabies which is odd because a rabies vaccine is REQUIRED as well and LICENSING dogs in this county. Born and raised here in AZ so I am very sheltered to other states and their laws and how they run things sorry
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I grew up in Germany where shelters have a WAITING LIST! Where an adoption costs 300 bucks and another couple of 100 for the seminar everybody needs to take about basic dog care and behavior. The license costs too, and everybody has to have one. The cops do stop dog owners on the street to check for licenses! It's being enforced, everything! Stray dogs in Germany? Unheard of!

So ya, I know where you are coming from and how it can hit ya when you go back to the stone ages (well almost lol).

That also means that a lot of work still needs to be done and we are not stepping up to the plate and make a difference, who will? That's why I'm here where I'm needed.

For example just by being the link between the internet and the shelter (I go take pics on weekly basis and put them on petfinder and get the word out, they don't have a computer at the shelter) we have increased the adoption rate by 30%! A little effort goes a long way!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Germany where shelters have a WAITING LIST! Where an adoption costs 300 bucks and another couple of 100 for the seminar everybody needs to take about basic dog care and behavior. The license costs too, and everybody has to have one. The cops do stop dog owners on the street to check for licenses! It's being enforced, everything! Stray dogs in Germany? Unheard of!

So ya, I know where you are coming from and how it can hit ya when you go back to the stone ages (well almost lol).

That also means that a lot of work still needs to be done and we are not stepping up to the plate and make a difference, who will? That's why I'm here where I'm needed.

For example just by being the link between the internet and the shelter (I go take pics on weekly basis and put them on petfinder and get the word out, they don't have a computer at the shelter) we have increased the adoption rate by 30%! A little effort goes a long way!

woooooooow!!!! I like Germany lol. some people dont think we should have such strict laws... I think we should. I think breeders should all have to be licensed or fined. I think people need to be at least informed before purchasing/adopting an animal, go through classes, something. The lack of information readily available (and i dont mean by computer because not everybody has one) is sad. We purchased our first two ferrets without any advice or acknowledgment of their bodies and diseases and risks etc.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Totally agreed, however, enforcing laws like that is nearly impossible in such a big country as the US. Consider the size of Germany; it fits about 3 times into Texas alone! Texas has 23 million people, Germany has 86 Million. Just to give an idea.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM

true true
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 PM

I am so sorry you have such bad luck with Vets , it is so true they charge so much anymore. Two of my vets are good friends one was a young volunteer at the wildlife center were I volunteer I actually trained her now 12 years later she is a Dr. The other one I met when she was a young intern, I thought who is this young girl they are letting help out and to my surprise, she was the new DR. They use to cut me a break when I went now I donít even get any discount, or if I doÖ the price for everyone else must be outrageous . They do however take care of all our wildlife at no charge, and give us the meds free or at there cost. We even get to help with surgeryís I love that part.

I have been getting my dogs vaccinated at Pet Smart itís a local pet store, they offer rabies vaccines for a low price, the whole package for 42 distemper and whatever else I usually go for that .But Holly my oldest is to old they will only give a dog over 10 ,1 shot at a time.

Also if you have any Agway itís a farm and feed store they do Rabies vaccines for $6 to 8dollars.

Like you have the timeÖÖ But is it possible to organize a vet clinic somewhere in your town get a vet that is willing and some volunteers everyone volunteers their time. Write them some letters tell them your community needs this.

Just a suggestion