Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Top Pet Myths Busted

Top Pet Myths Busted
Source: http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/assets/ht...fcode=09842037

If you own a pet, you’re bound to hear some strange things from time to time. So of them may leave you scratching your head and thinking “I wonder if that’s true?” Well here’s a few of the most popular myth’s and the truth about them.

Myth #1: Corn on the cob is safe for my dog.

Fact: Most people are unaware of the risk of feeding dogs corn on the cob. People understand the risks of feeding dogs table scraps, especially those high in fat and although corn on the cob may seem like a healthy alternative in a pet’s diet, serious dangers exist.

Corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction, a serious and potentially fatal condition. Signs of intestinal obstruction include vomiting, dry heaves, diarrhea, anorexia, painful abdomen or lethargy.

And many dogs are allergic to corn and will suffer both the effects of the allergy and the potential intestinal obstruction. So keep those tasty, salty, buttery and fun-to-chew corn cobs away from your dogs. Don’t forget to safely secure your trash as well. Dogs can be awfully clever scavengers.

If you suspect your dog has eaten a cob, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Myth #2: Tapeworms come from bad food.

Fact: Most pets become infected with tapeworms from swallowing fleas or from eating infected mice or other animals that carry the parasite. To help protect against tapeworms, make sure your pet is fully protected against fleas. And consider a strategy for eliminating mice, other rodents and rabbits. When treating your pet for tapeworms, select a product labeled specifically for tapeworms, e.g. prazquantel.

Myth #3: Garlic on a pet's food will get rid of worms.

Fact: Garlic may make the animal's food taste better but has no effect on worms. The most effective way to treat worms is by medication.

Myth #4: Dogs and cats eat grass when they’re sick.

Fact: Not true. Many dogs and cats simply enjoy the taste and texture of grass. Beware, however, if your pet begins snacking in your garden. Certain common plants such as rhododendrons, daffodils and marigolds can be toxic for pets.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Top Pet Myths Busted

thanks miss d...i never knew the one about the corn...good to know though....thanks again

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Top Pet Myths Busted

I always believed that myth about the grass. :O Now I know better! Thanks for sharing those!