Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Default almost adopted on friday

my wife and i go to the pound on a regular basis. we donate food, kitty litter and whatever else they might need. whenever we go, we make sure to see at least two dogs and take them for walks...do a little training...simple stuff like that...well we met this pup...couldn't have been more than 5 months old...his name was bently....what a cute, obedient, smart pit mix this dog was!!! my wife and i were acually talking about bringing our famed anabell to meet him before we came to our senses. we can barely handle bell...let alone another one with very high energy no matter how well behaved....oh but it's nice to dream....i'm sure he'll go to a good home in no time!!

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Re: almost adopted on friday

Aaaaw, I hear you loud and clear! But sometimes I just can't resist and do take a dog home from the shelter.

At the moment a friend of mine is looking for a home for a male Rottweiler/Pit mix with an insecure-aggressive personality, a ticking time bomb, because he has no leadership whatsoever.

So, I'm looking for somebody with your kind of attitude, but that's hard to find. I can't go through the shelter here, because they have a policy against adopting out pitbulls or mixes thereof.

I have to admit, I felt highly highly highly uncomfortable around that dog, almost scared. He'd be a case that would fit great into Cesar's pack too.

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM

with a dog like that it just takes time....oh...and really try hard not to show your intimidation (i know you already understand this stuff but in case someone else who is reading this would like to know)...training is the best medicine for an insecure dog. it builds a bond of trust and loyalty between the handler and the animal. it also establishes who the leader and who is the follower. also, when training, use praise for this type of behavior, not treats...it goes a lot farther with the bond.

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"

Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator

I agree. I stuck with "no touch, no talk, no eye-contact" and the dog eventually lost interested in me. Since it wasn't up to me to correct the dog, I tried to explain to the owner how to do it, but either I am not really good at making sense to people or they don't get it...it just never works.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM

that's because people treat dogs like little children instead of animals...that's a major issue....just on the behavior talk...we switched my dog's wet food mix in from nurtro max beef to nutro max high energy and almost magically my dog has been behaving 10X better...it's very strange...just thought i'd share

Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Your words in God's ear (that's what we say in Germany when we wholeheartedly agree with something lol)!

Now that IS odd about the diet switch. I choose my dog food by how much gas I can take living with 2 Danes, ROFL.