Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Winchester

I just picked up a new foster dog yesterday evening. He is a Chiweine, I know that is spelled wrong, but any how he is a mix of chihuahua and dachund. He is very timid and shy and soo cute. He still needs to be nutuered and I have to really watch him because he will lift his leg in the house to mark things.
Our biggest thing right now is working with his fear of things and he seems to respond pretty quickly. He is getting pretty good out of the crate but when I try to put him in the crate his tail goes between his legs again and he gets all stiff. I'm trying to teach him the crate is nothing to be afraid of but so far he doesn't believe me.
Here are a few pictures of him that I took last night.
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_4124.jpg
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_4125.jpg
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_4126.jpg

Last edited by Fluffytial : 12-19-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: adding photo links
Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Winchester

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

Keep feeding him in the crate with the door open and give him a few more days, before you know it, it's going to be his safe place.

Gosh, when I remember Doogle, he wouldn't even walk, just stood there when I put him on the ground. Today he walked on the leash all the way to the shelter, crossing 2 highways with me and big semi trucks thundering by..that dog looks straight ahead and sticks to my foot...I love it!

Even though most of the time I just want to pick him up and cuddle him and tell him not to be scared, but know that's human psychology and won't do the dog's fear any good. But damn it's hard to resist, ain't it? lol
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 12-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Even though most of the time I just want to pick him up and cuddle him and tell him not to be scared, but know that's human psychology and won't do the dog's fear any good. But damn it's hard to resist, ain't it? lol

It IS really hard to resist, especially with those humongous eyes they always give you!!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Thought it was time for an update on Winchester. He has improved in the two weeks we have had him as far as the fear goes. He is very comfortable in the house now and will even go into his crate about 50% of the time now on his own although still a little reluctantly. He will let me handle his feet with out protesting most of the time now too.
But now we have run into another problem. He is very dominant(with people and other dogs)and has aggression issues with other dogs but which will cause him to growl at me too. The smaller the dog the worse his reaction. If my lap smells like other dogs and I invite him to sit in my lap, then if I pet him he will growl. So he is no longer allowed in my lap at all because he always misbehaves.
He goes for about a half hour to fourty five minute walk every day with the other dogs and does ok if we make sure the keep him focused on moving ahead otherwise sometimes he will growl at one or the other. We are still working on him not jumping up on us all the time ( I think this is a manifestation of his dominance along with his insecurity, we always corrected this from day 1). He is starting to do it less and less. He has figured out that I go out the door first not him, that he has to walk beside us on walks(he does this best if there are no other dogs but has begun to realize he has to do it regardless of what is around him).Though he still has his tail up like a stick when walking some of the times.
Right now we are looking for another foster home for him that doesn't have other dogs and is better equiped to deal with his behavior issues. I am doing all I know to do for now and knowing that at least he has some structure that he has never had before.We are also hoping that once he is nuetered it will help some.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

That sounds like a handful of dog! Dexter started to turn that way, and so did Kicker, the Dumpster Puppy. I might not be assertive enough to successfully rehab an aggressive dog...I'm better with working with the scared ones, lead them, encourage them, help them face their fears, and teach them to be more confident. But once it comes to aggression..I know it in my head, but facing an aggressive dog is a total different ballgame.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog