Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > News > Laws

Laws Share the laws concerning wildlife and pets in your State or Country.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Michigan Age Laws

according to michigan law, i am not allowed to help rehabilitate birds, even though i've gotten the IWRC training and i've worked with one bird organization before. they say i can't help until i'm 18. it really sucks too, cause this local bird center needs a ton of help, they've got tables full of buckets full of birds.

just thought i'd share, cause it's such a silly law. *sigh* it's hard to be a teenage rehabber. lol.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Administrator

What a stupid law!

What happened to teaching our teens to become involved?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 PM

lol, i already love you wingedcat.

i'd be willing to sneak around, but the rehab center isn't. it used to be run by this woman who, despite her extreme love of birds, had the entire center in the basement of her house, and conditions were....unsatisfactory, to say the least. anyway, the state visited her center and shut her down. her friends bought a place in town and saved her operation, but they're under extreme scrutiny.

my mother is looking into the possibility of a waiver. i guess the state doesn't care about the birds getting hurt; all they care about is me. so if we can convince the founders to let me sign a legal waiver, i could probably help out under supervision.

it's RIDICULOUS, though. i've been certified! i didn't spend two days calculating nutrition values and medicine dosages and gavaging and sticking needles in dead birds so i could sit by while a center needs help.

it'll work out, though. the most important thing is that i get some experience, which is possible with the squirrels.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i guess the state doesn't care about the birds getting hurt; all they care about is me.

So you could go to work at a burger joint where you could suffer grease burns etc., but they won't let you work with animals because you *might* get bitten or clawed?

[sarcasm] Makes perfect sense to me. [/sarcasm]

I already love you too, Thundersquirrel, you've got spunk!