Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Wild Birds

Wild Birds Talk about Songbirds and Raptors.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Wrens

This is not a rehab post, just some backyard fun. I had this little birdhouse which I used to cover up a hole in the enclosure. I had to cut the screen so I could get in there to rake some dirt away from the entrance, because I couldn't get in anymore. Look at the rabbit thread for that one lol.

Anyways, I had tied up that birdhouse there until I get the screen fixed and yesterday I look outside and see the wrens moving in.

I also had this little 'I forgot what it's called' in the red net. My friend's 2 year old made it. She collected all sorts of hairs and grasses for the birds to pick on for nest building material. Isn't that the cutest thing ever?? And it soooo works!!

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Wrens

Moving in day at MissD's. I guess you can't move the house now.

That nesting material thingy is a good idea, I should see about putting up something like that in my yard.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Miss D -
I think I have a wren baby, but am not sure. My cat pounced on it while it was on the ground, but there are no punctures and no broken wings. It seems very active (after the shock wore off). We put together a nest box with some coastal hay, wildbird seed (unshelled) and fresh water. It opens it's mouth to get some water from a dropper, but I haven't seen it eat yet. It appears the gullet is close to empty. I'm worried it's a baby and needs a different kind of food. It's still very active and jumps around; can't really fly well, but I don't know if my cat bruised its wings. Here's a pic; any direction?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Our wrens look very different, but there are so many species out there...it looks close to the Canyon Wren in my field guide. In any case, these birds don't eat seeds, they eat insects.

Also cat's saliva alone has bacteria fatal to birds, no puncturing necessary. But these are tough lil guys.

Make sure he gets fluids, once he poops we know the major stuff is still working, start him mealworms or soaked catfood, if you don't have any and let him rest.

You can carefully pry his beak open and place food in it, see if he swallows. He's not a baby so probably not eat from hand.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Could be a Warbler too, but makes no difference in diet, as far as I know.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the advice; I've placed some soaked catfood in the cage for now. He took a little bit of water mixed with the bits of food; but I thought he might do a little better without some giant making him nervous. He'd pooped when I rescued him, so I don't know that he's had enough to eat/drink to make another movement. Good to know he's probably not a baby. Once he's strong enough, I'll let him free outside again...away from the cat.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Ok, after even more research, he appears to be some kind of woodpecker. I woke up this morning and he was going crazy pecking at the cage. I placed some soaked catfood in the cage last night and it looked as though it had been pecked through. He still doesn't seem to fly as much as hop around. So I'll keep him until he can fly and then we'll place him in a tree.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Administrator

I'm afraid he's going to starve to death before that. You have to force-feed him, now! Feel his breast bone..is it protruding? That means he's emaciated. Most older juvis and adults just don't eat in captivity. Maybe live food if the wiggling turns them on bad enough.

I too thought of a woodpecker first when I saw the long beak, but none of the birds in my field guide comes even close looking like that. Woodpeckers are also a heck of a lot larger. I'd stick with a wren or warbler.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 PM

He's been eating on his own very well and has even been pottying well. He's been taking food from me and water, too, when I go in there to check on him. His gullet feels full and he's pecking away.

I have a book here about backyard birds; says woodpeckers can be as small as 4 inches. But I don't know what he is for certain; but seems to be doing well.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Great job!!! I just sent the pic off to the bird rehabber. She will ID it for sure!