Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:53 AM

Default Baby pigeon help!

Found a baby pigeon last night by the doorway to our home, nobody was open to even talk to! Put it in a carrier with some water (I dont know crap about birds) just went outside, its alive and has pooped a lot over the night, its small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. I am trying to find someone to come get it, I do not want it to die, should I be doing anything with it right now or let it be in the carrier?
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Baby pigeon help!

NEVERMIND! Got ahold of someone they said if its not injured its a fledgling, told me what injuries to check for, it was not injured and oddly enough it flew off a few houses down, so it can protect itself while mom takes care of it
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Alright, good job!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Alright, good job!

There was a storm while we were gone so I don't know if he just got disoriented or if they don't always fly? I am not good with birds but got cell numbers for a bird rescue just 20-30 mins away for the future
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Doves and Pigeons are one of the worst nest builders among birds. Fledglings often stay on the ground and the parents continue to feed them until they can fly themselves. That's how I get 90% of the birds and shouldn't have. They were all stolen from their parents because people wrongly thought they were orphaned.

But in the middle of the night in a door way, I'd probably intervened too.

Another thing most people don't consider...would you have guessed that it takes about 20 Dollars per bird to raise on average? Often people bring me entire nests and act like they are doing me a favor.

Thankfully doves only need to be fed every 2 - 4 hours, but most other birds go every 30 minutes. I have no life when I have birds. Nothing gets done.

I know that most rehabbers experience the same thing, so really, before you (with that I mean everybody who reads this) pick up a baby bird and call in for help, really really make sure that there are no parents to re-unite it with.

Put the bird in a basket and hang the basket into the nearest tree and observe from a safe distance for a couple of hours first. If no parents show up, then call for help.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Yea what totally sucks is it was midnight LOL we just got back from a concert, lights were off and all I heard was fluttering so turned the light on and saw it. Left it alone and called like 5 numbers, nobody was open of course. I never knew what a fledgling was until I started reading up on it (oops) and until the lady called me back. I told her we did not have any nests in our trees and neither do our neighbors (all our trees are still tiny and couldn't hold a nest) and she said it could be from anywhere on the street. I now know not to even mess with a bird unless it clearly looks injured.
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator

You actually called people at midnight??? Wow!

Actually, somebody did call me last night at midnight about an opossum his dog had found. Thankfully I have my phone on 'no disturb' so I didn't hear it, because otherwise I would have told him something else. I find that so rude!

Don't get me wrong, it's nice of him to care, but I don't know of anybody that appreciates being woken up at night about something that can wait until the morning. Even then it would have to be a grave emergency before I bother somebody at night.

I work with and for the animals up to 20 hours a day, I cannot and will not answer the phone at night too. If I don't get my sleep, I can't help the animals. I even have a note next to my phone number on my site saying this:

Please keep in mind that this is my home phone number and not a business phone, so I'd appreciate it if you would email me in non-emergency situations and if possible, keep the calls within reasonable hours. Thank you!

At 8 pm I hit that no disturb button and I turn it off again at 8 am. It's not that I'm getting paid for it.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Glad the bird took off!

I know what you mean Miss. Doolittle. I often get calls at 9:30-10:00. Sometimes I prefer to get the call though, so the person doesn't do something stupid before I get up, plus I have to go to work so I can really only talk on the phone from 3:00 PM til I go to bed, so I guess I would rather be woken up than leave it go. What gets me is they always want to chat and chat and never show up at the time they say and then I end up up way too late!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Oh the numbers I called are actual facility numbers. I didn't call any of the personal numbers lol. I know some places have someone who answers after hours or has an after hour answering machine but neither of these did.
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Pheeeeeeeeew lol!