Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Dog Fight!!!

My lab/collie and chihuahua just got into a fight....the chihuahua is now dry heaving and her heart is beating a mile a minute....does anybody know if this normal behavior? I have never had to deal with my own dogs getting into a fight so I have never paid this close attention to the results...no punctures or blood.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Dog Fight!!!

If a bite occurred, the impact could have broken some bones and causes problem breathing...could that be the case? Doesn't have to show puncture wounds to be a bite. Is the dog showing any other signs or pain response? What about taking him to a vet?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
If a bite occurred, the impact could have broken some bones and causes problem breathing...could that be the case? Doesn't have to show puncture wounds to be a bite. Is the dog showing any other signs or pain response? What about taking him to a vet?

Ok its been what maybe 10 minutes? Her breathing is back to normal. She is not yelping or showing any signs of pain (I am putting some pressure and squeezing areas as well), I was able to pick her up immediately and she was shaking but not yelping or snapping. My concern was the impact breaking something. We were debating taking her to a vet, our vet is on the other side of town btw, and my bf grew up with chihuahuas and said her heart beating fast and the weird breathing is because of shock...(he has had to deal with this more than me) I was just getting dressed and her breathing has subsided and she has stopped gagging. ugh how stressful...the only fight I had to deal with btwn my own dogs ended with one being put down due to him being 18 and his jaw being shattered This just brought back horrible memories and added one to it. TY for the quick response. I am going to make sure she acts ok and eats something tonight or I will be heading to the vet first thing in the morning.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM

ok whew she just took some food and started giving kisses (very normaly behavior) Still gonna keep an eye on her
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Thank goodness! Any idea what triggered the fight?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 PM

well our big dog has some issues and is food aggressive so I thought it was that since my bf just sat down a cpl bags of dog food and the fight occurred by the bags.... But then after my nerves cooled down I thought of two other possibilities... Harvick (the big dog) was super excited from going to the store with the dad and could have gotten out of hand, or Tinkerbell (the chihuahua) could have snapped at Harvick (which she does sometimes) and again due to his excitement could have taken it as a super threat.... Its hard...because people say "oh he has issues and should be the only dog" but we have had them together for over a yr and have never had a fight occur and dogs do get into fights, we just now know we have to not lay bags of dog food down and maybe when we bring him back from a walk alone, or from the store put him outback to cool off first.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Excitement is usually one step away from aggression. I taught my dogs to be calm and stay away from the kitchen where I prepare their bowls.

It took a while of course, but now when I take the food bowls, all dogs go into their crates, lay down and don't move. You can hear a pin drop!

It was Dogstar I think who suggested a while ago that for a dog, nothing should be for free. No treat, no attention, no praise, no pad on the head...they have to do something for everything. It's amazing what difference that made!

I usually make them sit or lay down or just focus on something I have that they want for a bit longer than normal..whatever. They come up with their own tricks by now, don't have to teach them anything anymore.

Olliver, my Great Dane, is the bully of the crowd. He runs over people, has an extremely intense prey drive, and gets into everybody's face that comes in here. He is not aggressive, he wants to play! He'd never bite a person, but he'd probably break their necks knocking them over.

And then comes my 4 lbs Chihuahua named Doogle that doesn't even have functioning vocal cords, and he gives Olliver the lip and you can see a 120 lbs dog running into his crate crying loudly as if a herd of buffaloes is after him!

So I learned from Doogle how to give other dogs "the lip", and guess what! It works! These days I can send a cat flying from across the street just by hissing and my growl is well respected with the dogs too LOOOL.

But this is your key, hun, learn from the dogs themselves! They are the best teachers. We only have human responses to offer lol.

Now even Olliver comes 9 out of 10 times when I call him and his mind is somewhere else. He comes running and slides to a stop on his butt into the sitting position looking at me. I'm getting there!!!

He's the hardest to handle dog I ever had! He was basically feral the first six months of his life, lived in a pack of 30 Great Danes and his Pitbull grandfather out in the country. A guy came out once a day and threw down a few bags of dog food. That was the only human interaction he ever had until the place was cleaned up and I adopted him.

Took these pics yesterday:

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM

See thats why it was so shocking... all the dogs know the word "eat" and "hungry" and run to their crates... so we didnt even think about a bag of dog food setting him off. I was also replaying the entire incident in my head and it could have been numerous issues...so we decided from now on when he is out of the house alone and we get back, we will take him to the backyard to run and cool off first before letting him in (we take all 4 for walks almost all the time together and when this is the situation he is not so excited but if its just him who goes out its almost like hes showing off that he got to go out). He has a lot of behavioral issues and we have dealt with them as needed so now its another issue we are adding to the list. I am sure he will be fine, he needs a sturdy hand TY so much for you advice and concern I appreciate it.

Oh also I make him of all the dogs work for his food and treat, some people tell me its wrong, I tell them it gets his attention focused on me.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 AM

first off, i'm thankful to hear everyone is okay...but i did have a question...

i'm new to the whole two dogs in a house thing...now when it comes to my wife and i giving comands...we rule the roost...even when the two of them are playing...we give a correction command to settle, and then whatever is next (i.e. down, sit, place, etc) but since were on the subject of fights...is it okay to let them "play fight" as long as it's not aggressive or should we put a stop to it right away? we've had the two dogs in the house together for about 2 weeks now and everyday, they take each other's toys, then play bow and play...then rest and repeat...very little growling and they are always aware of their leaders' presence when they play (constantly looking for approval or disapproval...my wife and i are getting the looks down)...and if it is okay to let them continue like this, how long usually will it last?? ((just to let you know, anabell, the dog we have had for a while now gets things first (food, treats, praise, etc.)and the new guy levi understands this and is starting to get it. he won't even come in a room first if she doesn't lead..after me of couse))

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 PM

settle is my favorite command when the two boys are rough housing! I pretty much use it when it starts to sound TOO aggressive or when a yelp occurs if the other one doesnt back off. This way they know a yelp means too rough. However....in this situation the yelp didnt do anything but me hollering "HEY" sure scared him off. I dont think its a bad thing for dogs to rough house just make sure it doesnt cross your limit.
the joy in the heart.
Closed Thread