Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Other Wildlife

Other Wildlife Talk about wildlife not covered in the above forums or make a suggestion for a new forum.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Default I need help with a little bat I found today....

As the title says, today I found a little bat. Found it lying on a concrete floor beside a building in my neighborhood. It was totaly still, just breeding. I took it home with me, and now it's in a shoe box with a piece of wood on which it hangs. It changed positions in the box before I put that piece of wood.

I don't know what to do with him. I don't know what it's species eat, if they drink watter... He's about 4.5cm-5cm long. Looks like these here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Pipistrelle , so I suppose it's adult. Haven't flown at all since I took it in my hands and brought it home.

What should I do??
Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: I need help with a little bat I found today....

Where are you located? The bat you are referring to is not in the US. Do you live in Europe? If you are in the US and found the bat, be VERY careful because he could have rabies. Bats with rabies are not often agressive, they just kinda go off by themselves and die. Be sure to wear gloves because they can spread rabies through biting or even if you just come into contact with their saliva. So, be careful washing his water bowls, etc. I would try to get him to a rehabber ASAP. You can try www.wildliferehabber.com. If you are in Europe, I don't think you have a problem with rabies there? You should still try to find someone with experience in bats though, because he sounds like he definetely needs some help.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Oh rabies is just as bad in EU as it is here, make no mistake there.

Unfortunately I have no clue about bats, but I think it's ok to give her some water with an eye dropper. Just very careful so you don't drown her..one tiny drop at a time.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 AM

I found it beside a building about 150 meters from the place I live in. Yesterday I looked around to see what I could find around the place I found it. Nothing, apart from noticing a boarded basement window, from which he could have crawled out off. The other basement windows have holes big enough for cats to get it.
Should I put him in the basement or in an abandoned home I found about 100 meters from the place I found him.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

No, I wouldn't do that. If you were able to pick the animal up, then it's either too young or too sick to survive out there on it's own. Call your nearest vet, animal control, or shelter and ask about if there is somebody in your area rehabilitates bats.

http://www.batworld.org/main/main.html

This is a good site..this place is not far from me, but that doesn't help you any..but some good information there.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

The little guy definetely needs some medical attention. Have you fed him anything? I don't think bats can go long without eating. I would find a vet or rehabber ASAP.