Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Default Re: please help, injured squirrel

Hehee, I actually had the domain drdolittle.com registered or something, but I figured doctor in front of the name would be misleading, since I'm not a doctor or vet, so I went with MissDolittle, since this is what my grandpa used to call me anyways.

I totally agree with you on the laws. The reason why they were made to begin with was because mainly of the many roadside zoos in the 70ies. Also many people simply take wild animals out of the wild and keep them as pets, that was what they wanted to discourage.

However, they did not consider the people like us that want to help and are forced to get a permit now.

It all depends in what State you live. If you want to have a permit for songbirds, you have to even get a federal AND state permit.

If you want to do small animals like squirrels, raccoons, opossums, rabbits and such, a State permit is usually enough.

Best is to google Parks and Wildlife Department for your State and find the section about Wildlife rehabilitation and permits and go to www.iwrc-online.org and become a member there, because that is usually one of the requirements..that you are a member there and have taken a couple of courses (they do them online now too) with them.

Here's what I had to do in Texas:

1) I needed 2 recommendation letters from either vets or other rehabbers.
2) I needed 3 letters from people that give me permission to release animals on their property, preferably ranches.
3) I needed proof of membership with the IWRC
4) I needed to meet the minimum requirements for facilities (you can download the pdf on the IWRC site here:http://www.iwrc-online.org/pub/Stand...%20Edition.pdf ) and a State Inspection by the local Game Warden will be done.
5) IWRC basic wildlife rehab course or the equivalent of it.
6) The application forms

I think that's it for Texas. But as I said, different States, different rules. In Florida for example it's legal to keep squirrels, no permit required.

The best thing of course would be if you could turn up a permit holder in your area that teaches you hands on or makes you a sub-permitee first.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll be checking into this today. Also he was laid to rest this morning, wrapped in a clean white t-shirt and buried in my back yard. I buried him with a few acorns, nuts and some seeds so he would have some food for his journey. I'm hoping to see a tree sprouting up there soon so his passing might some day provide a home for his relatives. I had forgot that I even had the acorns, I collected them last fall and for some reason put them on the side. I found them this morning while looking for something else, just in time to plant them with him.

Jacob
Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 PM

Talking Re: Spring Babies are Finally Here!

Hey Squirrel Lovers,
I just got smitten by the adorable pics you took. I recently had a baby fall from my Blue Spruce. After waiting for a week, no mama, or any other cousins are around. I am trying to figure out what has happened to the 6-8 squirrels who have had the run of my yard for years. So I;ve begun a routine that siuts the lil guy, "Rocky". tonight I built him a cage from a wooden cabinet with a open front panel. Screened it in and works great! He's gettiing healthy using puppy formula by syringe and a peeled grape or two. He LOVES those. I read all your advice and got the right food and cage, so I hope he will be a normal critter soon. Probably about 5 weeks old, and does not seem to have broken anything, but just caring for him and he;s coming around after a week or so.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Spring Babies are Finally Here!

Welcome to the nutty club, Skidgy! I hope you can share some pictures too!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Welcome to the nutty club, Skidgy! I hope you can share some pictures too!
Doc,
Are you there? I am panicking as Rocky has taken a turn for the worst today. I came home at lunch to feed and he is lathargic. Seems almost lifeless. What can I do?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Is there any way you post a picture here or email me one? Is he dehydrated? How often do you feed him? Has formula ever come out of his nose? Do you hear a clicking in his chest? How old is he? Are the eyes open? Is he warm to the touch? Tell me everything that comes to mind!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:24 PM

He does seem dehydrated, I am giving him 0.4cc every hr of pedialyte, since noon. I think because he was feeding on the puppy formula for the past 3 days, he started getting diarhea, whereas he was peeing and lil poop here and there not solid tho. I was thinking just any poop at all was good, but now this could be the reason he's lethargic. His eyes are not open, but up until today he has seemed very good, eating, but moving unsteadly since I found him 10 days ago. Maybe 4-5 weeks old. I wasn't sure if its his age or the fall because he is crawling more than walkng. I've held him in my hands, kept a hot water bottle next to him and he's even screamed for me once when he crawled out of his box. I really thought he was getting better. I don't have a photo and I will listen to his chest. You think he may have snorted some formula? He would sometimes sneeze when feeding but he seemed to be handling it and I did not rush him. He goes a little crazy at feeding time, so I bet this has not helped. He is so small I can't tell if he is warm enough, I just keep putting a hot water bottle with him and He lays on it.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

0.4 cc? That's nothing...4 cc would be a different story. Are you sure it's just 0.4? You said you have a 1 cc syringe, if you fill that up four times, it should be a good amount to feed.

If you have a letter scale, weigh him. He needs to eat 5-7% of his body weight each feeding. For example if he would weigh 100 grams, he should eat 5-7 cc each feeding.

He should not get the runs on the puppy formula (do you use Esbilac, 1 part powder with 2 parts of water?), unless you add Pedialyte each time, that can cause diarrhea.

I don't think he screamed for you, they only scream when in distress, at least in my experience.

Yes, sneezing indicates aspiration which can cause pneumonia really fast. You would need antibiotics to give him for that.

Try a rice buddy instead of the hot water bottle..it keeps the heat longer. Here's how:
http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...ght=rice+buddy

Do you have any friends with babies or know somebody who can get you some Infant Amox? You need a prescription for it...but that's what I use on squirrels with pneumonia or any kind of infection.

Last but not least, in case you haven't read it yet, here's the entire "how to" on baby squirrels:
http://www.squirrel-rescue.com/found-a-squirrel.htm
Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
0.4 cc? That's nothing...4 cc would be a different story. Are you sure it's just 0.4? You said you have a 1 cc syringe, if you fill that up four times, it should be a good amount to feed.

If you have a letter scale, weigh him. He needs to eat 5-7% of his body weight each feeding. For example if he would weigh 100 grams, he should eat 5-7 cc each feeding.

He should not get the runs on the puppy formula (do you use Esbilac, 1 part powder with 2 parts of water?), unless you add Pedialyte each time, that can cause diarrhea.

I don't think he screamed for you, they only scream when in distress, at least in my experience.

Yes, sneezing indicates aspiration which can cause pneumonia really fast. You would need antibiotics to give him for that.

Try a rice buddy instead of the hot water bottle..it keeps the heat longer. Here's how:
http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...ght=rice+buddy

Do you have any friends with babies or know somebody who can get you some Infant Amox? You need a prescription for it...but that's what I use on squirrels with pneumonia or any kind of infection.

Last but not least, in case you haven't read it yet, here's the entire "how to" on baby squirrels:
http://www.squirrel-rescue.com/found-a-squirrel.htm
For the Puppy formula, I was diluting Esbilac liquid with half water the last 3 days, giving 3-4 full syringes each time. So that was corrrect, 4cc per feeding. Only today did he receive the 0.4cc of pedialyte. He has started to improve in the last hour. But should I be diluting formula and pedalyte now? I was feeding him diluted formula every 3-4 hours prior to today. Since noon he looked so bad, every hour I gave him a half a syringe of pedialyte. If I can obtain the amoxicillin liquid, what dose is appropriate?
If not, should I take him to a vet within 24hrs or sooner? I felt he had been improving until today, so I am prepared to tend to him, including getting the medication. He is usually pretty alert and spunky so I noticed right away he is not himself. so for the last 5-8 hrs, he has been experiencing this listless state. Acually, He is better right this minute, He would not even move earlier and now he is curled up in my hand asleep. I think he was definitely dehydrated, the pneumonia , not sure yet. He did get distressed yesterday, got out of his nest, and I think I am making him wait too long (overnight) for his am feeding so he came looking for me. Is there something I can put in his pen that he can feed on if I am sleeping? This is the only time between feedings that is longer than 4hrs
i can't quite hear a rattle in his chest but I am closely attending to him. I know he is abandoned, so I am just doing my best and yes I have followed your web instructions. This lil guy is amazing and reslilient, I am trying not to smother him with too much of anything, but if he has pneumonia, I want to get him help in time. What exactly are the symptoms, just wheezing or clicking? He feels warm and I have just resumed the diluted formula since he is back up and himself at the moment. He drank 5cc and passed out. I think he has improved alot from 5 hours ago. I will try the rice pad and set my clock for 2am tonight. Thanks for responding, I will keep you posted.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

If you can find a vet that will treat him, what are you waiting for?

It would really surprise me though, since by law only special licensed vets are allowed to treat squirrels or something like that...lots of red tape in different States.

Anyways, if he has only gotten diluted formula (even though I am not sure what you mean with "half water") and not full strength (or double strength?), he is probably starving and lacking nutrition (or gets too much). The diarrhea on top of it doesn't help of course.

Is he bloated? Can you tell? The belly should feel like a marshmallow. Overfeeding is just as dangerous as not enough feeding, so please try to find out what the lil guy weighs and measure the amount carefully.

Have you done the 'skin tent test' to determine how dehydrated he is? How many seconds does it take for the skin to return to normal after pulling it up?

If it takes more than 5 seconds, feed 2 cc of Pedialyte every 2 hours until it snaps back.

If he is not dehydrated, start full strength formula, following the directions. Do not microwave, it will destroy nutrition!

The stool should improve almost immediately. It should look like mustard colored pellets or paste..not runny. A bit darker color is ok too.

He needs to be fed every 4 hours, but I think it's ok at this age to go 6 hours over night, but I wouldn't risk 8 hours yet, especially not if he is dehydrated.

If you can get the Amox, 50 mg strength, give 0.2 cc (and this time it is indeed 0.2 cc, not 2 cc) twice a day for a week.

I think I got all the questions covered, did I?