Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Need help for 4 little raccoons

This past Saturday, I saw that the 4 young raccoons were back in the old oak tree again. They still have water that I've set out, and the other various foods, but little if any of it was eaten. I'm guessing they are finding something in the tall grass to eat. They split into teams of 2 and go on little scouting trips during the midday. I could see them playing in the sun out in the yard, so they might be doing alright on their own. Only later in the day I took a break from working in the garden, and saw two of them playing in the road. I managed to nudge them back off the road before they got hit. However, late in the afternoon I saw the other 2 working their way across the yard digging periodically (looking for grubs?). When they spotted my dog they went over to investigate. When my dog wanted to play, the duo felt threatened and started hissing and lunging towards him. One ran back to the tall grass, the other was being subborn. It took some persuasion, but I managed to move her back towards the old oak again. Finally, I ended up getting my leather gloves out and picking her up and putting her back in the oak.

When weather permits, I leave my dog outside all day. And now I am afraid that he might get bitten. Since these fellas seem to be able to live on their own, at what point could I consider relocating them down the road to a larger remote wooded area? They seem to be calling the old oak 'homebase'. But, it is only 30 feet from the road. I think these little fellas are cute looking, but I don't want them to become a problem. Any suggestions? I'm in Central NY if someone wanted to rehabilitate them.

As far as size, when I pick them up they are a little larger than an adult squirrel, but not by much. Maybe 2 pounds.

Last edited by Mike P : 08-11-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM

From what you've said it sounds like they are having a good time at least.

Relocating them might not be needed, if you can help them learn to fear some things. Especially the dog, they need to be scared of it. What kind of dog is it?

Also if they consider that tree their home base they might be living there.

I'm guessing by how you describe their size that they are not yet teens. They should be eating solid foods though. I don't know why they aren't consuming what you put out for them, but like you said that could be a good sign.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I hope you find a happy balance and they can stay there though.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure what I would do...but I suppose re-locating them probably makes them attempt to come back to the place they know, especially if it's not far away. I know that coons are social animals and just because you don't see an adult, doesn't mean there is none around...even though I'd think they would eat the food you put out there...I was thinking just about any other animal would go for it..which is very strange. No opossums, no birds, no stray cat, nothing around of that at your place?

I let the experienced rehabbers give you advice here, I can just guess at this point, but I'm learning right along with ya .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM

I can hear them once in a while in the oak tree still. I've decided to leave them alone and just check on them periodically. Last Saturday morning (before I spotted my 4 youngsters), the neighbor girl came down to tell me that her dog (female husky) was attacked and killed a few days before by coyotes. And that her billy goat had killed a young raccoon with it horns. Naturally I thought it might have been one of mine, but it wasn't. I can hear the goat from my yard, and I can see where a young raccoon might mistake the sound for a mother raccoon.

I have yet to spot any possum (luckily). There are lots of birds, squirrels, and the occasional stray cat do come around. So far, they have been leaving the food alone.

If you like, you can move this thread to the General Animal Talk section since it really isn't an emergency anymore.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

That's good news!!! What's wrong with opossums?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Yeah, opossums are great :P
Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 PM

LOL! Years ago I seen the carnage they can cause inside a chicken coupe. The sleeping chickens are easy pickings for a possum. I've also seen a few up close, and they are not on the top of my 'cute' list. I wouldn't hurt one, but I wouldn't hug one either. Sorry.

Update: 8/18 - This happened while visiting family living in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Sorry to say, the opossum on this occasion did partially eat the chickens (some were almost entirely eaten). There were 5 chickens lost over 2 weeks before 2 opossum were caught in live traps and relocated. They most likely started out stealing the eggs.

How can anyone not fall in love with those 2 cute little faces? VVVV

Last edited by Mike P : 08-18-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

LOL, yeah I guess after an encounter like this, one would not be a huge fan.

See, I see them with eyes of a mother who raises the orphans and can't get enough of the cute Micky Mouse ears.

I also appreciate the fact that they are the only Marsupials in the US and that they are NOT predators, inspite of having the most teeth of any land mammal in the US (144 to be exact), they still prefer to play dead before they'd bite.

They were probably after the eggs in the chicken coop, not the chickens. They are peaceful, laid back animals that would never attack on their own, plus they can't get rabies.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Yeah I was thinking that too.

Meanwhile my favorite animal, the fox does quite a lot of damage in a coop