Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Diet

What kind of nuts can an 8-9 week old baby eat? Are acorns okay?

I have tried pine nuts - he doesn't like them. Loves peanuts - but I am do not want to give him many of those. Almonds, he will eat, but not very enthusiastic about them. He eats apples, carrots, bananas, brocolli. When he was smaller, he liked unsweet apple sauce - but he had a bad case of diarrea and I am afraid to give him that now. Once I changed his formula to Esbilak his stools are better. I was really stupid when changing over - I just switched without mixing the two formulas and he would not drink - but once I mixed them - he is doing fine and is now on 100% Esbilak.

I have left messages to locate a local rehab and hopefully will be taking him to her soon - there are no squirrels in our area and I am sure she will know where to release him.

I raised sugar gliders for years and he makes me miss them.

Thanks for helping a newby and for all the good work.

Debi
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Diet

Any hard shelled nut works, but your best bet is to go outside and see what the squirrels outside live off, because this is what your squirrel will have to eat once released.

However, since you said you don't have any squirrels in your area, maybe you can figure out what trees are common around there? Here it's pecan trees and oaks, so I always have a supply of acorns and pecans.

The reason why hard shelled nuts are important is for the teeth. They keep them short by opening the shells as well as gnawing on fresh branches.

So don't crack the nuts for the squirrel, cuz that's not the point...and also the reason why peanuts don't work.

Overgrown teeth will lead to death by starvation or infection from cutting into the gums.

You are doing a good job there!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Great we have plenty of acorns, our pecan trees did not produce this year, but I can get some from friends. He is having trouble with the opening the shells, but is learning - is this normal...Thank you for all the emails - his diarrea is completely gone now. He does not want much formula at some feedings (3X a day now???) and at others he can't get enough. He is eatting alot on his own - so I am guessing he is weaning himself....but I should keep offering the formula - right?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Yes, everything is perfectly normal. Just continue to give him pre-cracked nuts, but crack them less and less until one day he can open them all on his own. He then will eat less and less formula too. Encourage it to cut down the feedings, so he eats more solids. Mine are down to 2 feedings a day, except the smaller ones, they still get 3 times a day.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog