Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Our Squirrels Again

Ok, you haven't heard from us because things have been going great with the squirrels. But a few questions...They are now eating peeled grapes, strawberries, peeled apples, peeled cucumbers, peeled squash, peeled avacados, snow peas, green beans, acorns off of trees, pecans and lots of them, raisons, sunflower seeds-not shelled-not salted, pine nuts and formula with a hint of gerber baby banana mixed in. What else can they have? They seem to be getting bored with these foods and only want pine nuts and pecans. I put out dishes of formula watered down, but they will not attempt to lap at it. They usually just knock it over, jump in it, or ignore it. Can I put a hamster water bottle in the cage? They will be 7 weeks old this Saturday. This is a guess at age based upon when thier eyes opened. I fed them outside at lunch today and they were terrified. They also will not chew on the sticks I put in the cage for thier teeth. I don't feel they will be safe to rehab here in our yard. I am willing to drive them to you. I want them to have the best chance at survival out there they can be given. But alas, a friend of mine, fosters with the shelter on Hwy 242 and they told her all the squirrels sent to the Dallas area were coming back to Montgomery and Harris counties, because they were dying there because of the climate. Is this true? We are quite attached to ours and want the best for them. Freedom, safe freedom is the best thing for these two wonderful squirrels. Oh yea, they hate the rat pellets. They will not touch them. PS we only have one tree left in our back yard, the storm took out the other four.

Last edited by jlich : 10-02-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Our Squirrels Again

You are doing such a great job!!!!

All those foods you are giving them are more treats for right now as long as they are getting formula. The main diet should be what the other wild squirrels eat outside. However, you can add pretty much any fruit or vegetable to their diet.

I don't know anything about squirrels dying, but I'm sure that lots of Ike's squirrels that were transported up here, didn't make it, because they were either too stressed and many of them had pneumonia already.

If you are near the metroplex, call 972-234-WILD, they will refer you to a rehabber.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 AM

Where y'at??? I've got a long weekend coming up and my JohnJohn could use a friend or two before his release. (They sound about the same age, give or take.)I also need a good road trip...
I'd love to meet you half way but it may be too long of a drive. (I'm in Tennessee...) But I've got at least two very safe, very squirrel friendly release points, both of which I can watch over with relative ease.
Just let me know before this Thursday...
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

WOW!!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog