Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 PM

Default Sick Baby Squirrel

I found a dehydrated and emaciated five week old baby squirrel a week ago. I warmed her up, hydrated her, etc. She came down with pneumonia four days ago, though she never aspirated her Esbilac, and she has been on 0.05 ml Amoxicillin 250mg/5ml 2x daily for three days so far. She seemed to be getting better. Then, at around five today, when I went to feed her, I noticed that the right side of her head was swollen. I didn't know what to think, so I fed her and she went to sleep. I just checked back a few minutes ago and the swelling is so bad that her right eye is now swollen shut. She is also uncoordinated. Sinus infection? Middle ear infection? Something else? Can I give her any sort of antihistamine? I'm terribly worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Sick Baby Squirrel

Oh gosh, there could be a lot of reasons that can cause that and none of them is a good one. Since I am not a vet, I could only speculate though.

That animal needs professional help from either a vet or a rehabber ASAP. This does not sound like something an over the counter medicine could solve.

Thanks for taking care of the baby, but please get him professional help.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM

It sounds like a massive infection or a growth. I agree with MissD, you really need to find a vet that will see the baby.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM

No vet around here will take her. I work with a large animal vet, but squirrels are slightly different than horses.

Also, the swelling went down some in the night. It is still visible, but much better. Both eyes are normal now.

Thanks for the advice, I am looking for a rehabber.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Hmmm, yeah a vet would have been a good idea...
You might want to try upping the amox. dose just a bit. Since it's getting a bit better, that's a pretty good sign that you're doing the right things.
Along with above mentioned, it could also be swelling from a fall or blow. Swelling can't occur until the baby is hydrated so it could just now be showing up.
Good luck with your baby. I'll be thinking about you.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 PM

When this happens to people patients, the best bet is a warm compress, not hot, just warm, this should help relieve the swelling/edema. Also it can help to break up any debris that may be in her sinus. Contrary to popular opinion an antihistimine will not reduce fluid build up, and can cause a lot of problems with an animal. good luck
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM

If a vet wont see the baby demand they do. I found kittens from a wild cat while they were about 2 1/2 weeks one kitty was sick and died the others had the same symptoms so i scooped them up and took them to the vet. Vet said nothing I can do they are to young so I demanded she take care of them or they would die. She did. Now those kittens are my cats. I also have a different vet. Its worth a try thats what vets are for Good luck squirrels are precious.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator

In most States a vet will lose his license if he treats wildlife and is not certified to do so. It's not that they don't want to, they just don't want to take that risk, and I don't blame them.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog