Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself This is a good place to tell a bit about yourself.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Default New member is San Diego, CA

My name is Kat,

am in my thirties and I am a huge animal lover. I do tend to lurk a bit, but have this group on individual messages so when I have something to say I do chime in. Because of my job I do get a bit busy but am trying to get more active with my groups as much as possible.

As far as hobbies, I like collecting pet recipes, so if you have any you'd like to share let me know. Or if you are looking for some let me know. I also am a beginner gardener and am always looking for ways to spruce up my outdoor area that is also pet friendly.

If you guys need any information about anything pet related I have a huge resources list on my website at http://www.petsitdogwalkbykat.com

Please let me know if I am missing a good link. Pretty much everythng from pet owner communities to pet friendly places to finding low cost vets and emergency information is listed. But I am sure that I am missing something.

I am a professional pet and house care provider for a living and offer a wide variety of client home as well as in my home services to San Diego County residents and love what I do despite all the hard work.

I can also make any recommendations for trainers, communicators or other services here in SD to. I network with many other businesses and would be happy to help.

Best,

Kat

Pet and House Care Service Provider
San Diego County, CA
www.petsitdogwalkbykat.com

Don't leave home without me! "Where pets and home are priority!"
Yahoo Messenger ID petsitterkat
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New member is San Diego, CA

Welcome on board, Kat!! I'm looking forward reading some of your recipes!

Say, I was always interested in dog walking, but having 4 dogs on my own, it's not that easy. How many dogs can you handle at one time?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Well my services are pretty broad, and as a result the terms of service are broad.

For example if I had dogs at home I wouldn't (and probably couldn't without requiring socialization records and such) since I private board family by family. Where I live it's rare to have a large dog family since most cities have a 2 dog max per household.

But the most I've ever had was 4. With dog walks I walk dogs seperately or together if their total weight does not exceed the weight limit I know can control should a dog pull 4x its weight.

So if I had 4 dogs all 10# and they were all very well behaved on walks I would be able to walk all four no problem since the total weight is 40# and at worst case scenario the likelihood is 4 crazed dogs pulling 40# of pressure each on me to get to whatever it is they are focused on.

Large dogs should never be walked in more than pairs. Mostly for safety of the human. But I am lucky I am a thick tall gal so my weight puts a stop in larger breeds. It causes me to be able to control hundreds of #s because my own weight accounts for most of the poundage which means the dog would have to be stronger than that and weigh more to knock me down.

But usually I also take into account how behaved they are, if they display leash etiquette (no pulling, staying within a space cushion, stopping for leash holder upon reaching a street crossing, how aware they are of the fact you are holding the leash and not other way around, etc) , trainability, and develop a good relationship in addition to considering the size of the dog.

Some of my best clients happen to be larger working breed dogs that are easy to train and keep trained and those have been some of my best walks thus far. I have more trouble with the smaller dogs because mostly folks think small dogs don't need walks which is untrue...all dogs have a natural inclination to walk and move their legs....

Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the insight!

See, I have 4 dogs, 3 of them large (2 great danes and a lab). I can walk them all at once, no problem, but as soon as somebody else touches that leash, they start pulling, unless they have a certain attitude about them, such as strong personality or assertiveness.

I love the way the dog whisperer not only explains about how dogs are all about walking, just like a bird is all about flying, but also never to let the dogs walk in front of you, because position matters to a K9.

What's your take on this? Do you use his methods too?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog