Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM

Default I thought this was interesting

I found this in a book entitled "The Care and Handling of Dogs" written by John Lynn Leonard, D.V.M. copyrighted and printed in 1928 (I bought it for a quarter at a yard sale!) This is an excerpt from the chapter on choosing your dog and give a little description of dog breeds. Here is the information given on
" The Pit Bull terrier, poor fellow, is now almost obsolete, and what a shame! Will no one endeavour to bring hiim back to his rightful own? Not to his former, much abused- pitifully abused- state, which was actually the cause of his downfall, but to the position of a true dog among dogs. Never was there a more noble, well-meaning, loyal, or courageous dog on the face of the earth. While perhaps some of the inferior types of this class were nothing much to look upon, yet those of the better specimans were really splendid-appearing animals and worthy of a place in any home or show ring. This terrier did not lose his reputation, and with it his popularity, because of any fault of his own.Those who handled him, those who made him fight to maim and even kill other dogs, always at the grave risk of his own life, ultimately caused his descent down the grade rapidly toward oblivion. Left to himself, he was no more of a fighter than many of our other dogs which are held in the highest respect, and under the right supervision he was one of the most peaceful creatures living. Of course, it must be admitted that he could not really boast of blue blood, nor could he exactly claim a true-to -type strain, but, nevertheless, if other breeds could be carefully developed and raised ot a standard recognized by the American Kennel Club, why could he not have enjoyed this honour? Surely, he well deserved it. So let us sincerely hop that some sympathetic person, or group of persons, may sooner or later take up his cause and carry it through until he has a fitting place in canine history."

Last edited by Fluffytial : 11-11-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Default Re: I thought this was interesting

I haven't finished reading the book completely yet so I am sure more quotes will follow. The writer seems to follow a lot of the thinking of the Dog Whisperer.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Wow, I had no idea how long this breed is being miused...I thought it was a pretty new occurrence. And the "fitting place in canine history"... .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-11-2008, 12:10 PM

even back then some knew the value of a good pitbull.

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs