Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself This is a good place to tell a bit about yourself.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hi all

Oh no, I do not own the land=I wish, its signed off to me by the owner to release on, thats the only legal way to release wildlife. I do not have a web site yet=in progress.
My presentations are at libraries ,schools and such, and mostly with reptiles and inverts. However I give talks on wildlife and bring many biofacts such as skulls, hair etc.
Im whats called a bear response agent for the state of Florida through the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Im one of three agents for all of central Fl.= over nine counties, I handle bear situations and public education about bears as in what to do when you live in a bear area i.e. explain the the laws/rules of living in a bear area. People call in about a bear around their home so I do what is called a site evaluation and I go and investigate why the bear is coming around. Someone or the complainant may be intentionally(60 day jail sentence) or unintentionally attracting the bear. Then I help remedy the situation by getting the person to secure attractants or simply explain how to live with bears around if the bear is just walking through the property.
Also, I collect data on road kill bears and dispose of them ,
Catch, collect data and relocate bears
Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Interesting job! At least you get paid for it. Right? But you sound like you would do it without getting paid too. Like me.

I used to live in walking distance from the Wild Animal Orphanage in San Antonio for 2 years, so you can imagine where I volunteered every spare second I had. I also got to work with bears amongst other large wildlife and I have to say I was way too intimidated by them to do a good job.

I clicked more with the wolves, the dog person that I am lol.

My point is that I know what it takes to do the job you do and I totally admire you for it!

Please let me know if I can be of any help. I have a little design and web hosting business in order to support my wildlife rescue, and I basically work for free (except the fees I have to pay myself) when it comes down to a good cause to help no matter what animals, so if you need any assistance in that area, let me know!

I have a question: how often does it happen that a person actually has to go to jail for 60 days, because he violated the law and purposely attracted bears?

I just had to think about how the game warden here made me pay a 155 dollar fine for having a newborn squirrel without a permit, which I found extremely ridiculous, but I can see how the law needs to be enforced when it comes to bears.

And do we have bears in Central Texas? What kind? I am ashamed to admit that I have no idea! I concentrated on the small urban wildlife for now until I hopefully can afford a bigger place and accept larger animals as well.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Good question, we preach and preach and OFTEN it gets to court and it is thrown out by some misinformed judge or Non compassionate to the cause judge. However, since 2007, one goes to jail first then gets arraigned before the judge. So there is automatic jail at least for a short period AND a $500 min fine. Also, it is a felony to shoot a bear and we have convictions for that but some get thrown out as well. We do ballistics on suspected shooting as well.

There are bears in west Texas but none in central Tex. However with the large ranges of males (as much as 250 sqr miles), I would never say never. There are bears in Louisiana and they have been seen in N.Tex so I would believe it if someone saw one in Central Tex, they are very stealthy though.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator

So it's not any different from here when it comes to enforcing laws. Only the silly ones get fined. But this is why I love this country..if you don't like it, change it!

Thanks about the bear info!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog