Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Orphaned Kitten, Dying I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo View Post
Sorry to hear your little kitten isn't doing well. Are these babies you found that were strays or are they ones that are little ones of a cat you have that the mom is rejecting? Are you feeding KMR?

Miss. Doolittle is in Texas so she probably can't help . I am the rehabber in Ohio and I have never raised a kitten before. I currently have 33 babies too, so I really don't have any time. I do know how to tube feed though, so if the babies get really weak and you think they need a boost, I could tube them for you if you are willing to bring them over (I think I am a couple hours from you, in Lake county (northeast Ohio). I have 2 dogs and a cat with feline leukemia though, and really can't take on anymore pets. I am actually looking for a home for the cat with feline leukemia. You wouldn't happen to be interested would you? He seems healthy but can't be around other cats because he could spread it to them. He was a stray, but is the nicest cat in the world and he is already neutered. I have had him for a year and a half and he is a very happy healthy cat, so I think he is just a carrier of feline leukemia.

I may be willing to trade you the cat for the 2 kittens, provided you would also take the kittens back (if they make it) once weaned to find them homes. Oh, and Rumble (that is the name of my cat with feline leukemia) comes with an automatic litter box and his toys . I just want to find a good home for him.

I will have to see how all the feedings go today, though, because tomorrow it is back to work and I have 9 eyes just opened tiny little opossums, 3 eyes just opened grey squirrels, 4 flying squirrels that are older but 2 are still on milk, 5 bunnies that just went off milk in the rabbit room cages, 7 older rabbits in the outside cage off milk and will go free Tuesday (it is supossed to rain the next 2 days ), and 4 older grey squirrels in the other outside cage. Oh, and a song sparrow fledgling. So, I am swamped, but would REALLY REALLY like to find Rumble a home, so I may be willing to take on more babies if you could help me out with taking him in. Even if you take him in and then find him a home with someone that doesn't have cats, that would be fine (good luck finding someone though, everyone that likes cats seems to already have one ). I wouldn't want him to end up at the pound or humane society or anything like that though.

Sorry to ramble.

OMG do you have your hands full!!!
Here's what I want to know: HOW DO YOU SAY GOODBYE?! And so frequently... I would be a puddle of emotion if I rehabbed on a regular basis, truly, don't know where you women find the strength to care & love for these guys and still do the right thing when it's time for them to go. I think you're amazing.

Thanks again for the offer, and I will be on the look out for someone to take in your Rumble (cute name! , and I think that automatic litter-box is going to be a strong selling point .
Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear the kittens didn't make it.

Definetely let me know if you know of anyone that wants a kittie that doesn't already have one. He is an awesome cat and likes everyone (most cats don't like me because they can tell I don't like cats, but Rumble came right up to me and was purring and rubbing on my leg the first day). He is a short haired cat that is orange with the lighter orangish whitish stripes. He is very cute and sweet.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

lol, that was the reason I got the automatic litter box . There was an older guy at our church that used to have lots of cats, but they all died over the years and he stopped getting new ones so he doesn't have any. He loved Rumble as soon as he saw him and we told him he could have the cat and he said he would love to but he couldn't clean the litterbox anymore and that was why he didn't get anymore cats. So, I got the automatic litterbox hoping that would do the trick, but he wasn't interested and has had a stroke so he really doesn't get around well. I thought the automatic litterbox would make someone more inclined to want him, but so far no luck.

As for rehabbing, my first couple releases were really hard on me. I wanted to continue protecting my little guys and when they moved on to be wild and live on their own, not needing my help (I fenced in my porch with that stuff that little bunnies can get through but not bigger animals like cats) and set out their food and everything and released them right near it. I was so bummed when they didn't go under there and stay there. After I got over that, it became enjoyable watching them run off, knowing that I helped give them another chance. When you rehab as much as Miss. Doolittle and I, release day becomes a relief. To be able to let them go knowing they are ready and that you have helped them is great, plus it makes room for the next creatures that you know will be coming.

For me, bunnies are my favorite creature to rehab and release. They are one of the most challenging creatures on the planet to keep alive because their guts are so sensitive, but it is so rewarding when they do make it. The wildlife center where I volunteer has given up on the eyes closed bunnies. If it is eyes closed and a volunteer won't take it home, then it gets euthanized . So, if I don't release bunnies, I will be full and can't take them in when the center calls me saying they have more, which means those bunnies die without getting a chance. That is what makes me sad and angry because they are paid to care for wildlife and don't. So for me, release day is a relief because it frees up time so I can take in that next set of bunnies that is bound to come into the center. The hardest thing in the world for me to do is to say no when they call with babies because I know what will happen. They get in hundreds of bunnies every year and it kills me to think of how many die without getting a second chance.

Sorry to ramble, I am beat and just waiting for 9 to roll around so I can do the last feeding of the day and go to bed.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I don't have much time right now, but wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to go through this. I just posted something to the other group that might help you a little:

People often ask me how I do it, how I can just release them and let go, how I watch them die and still move on.

So I tell them that I'm not God and only do the footwork, leave the results up to the higher powers, which also eliminated the "beating myself up" for every "loss". More often than not I have an animal rather die with me than with the family with the little kids that brought it to me, because it would have devastated them.

Little example: a mother with 3 children under 7 years of age came driving half an hour to bring me a nest of cottontails. They had mowed over the mother accidently. That was already traumatic enough to have witnessed, so they wanted to save the babies. By the time they got here, 2 were already dead and the last one died the second they pulled off the curb, but they didn't know it and I didn't tell them. So they left knowing they did the right thing and could start healing and I felt good about having been able to spare these kids from yet another trauma.

Somebody once accused me of not caring about people, only animals...I think us rehabbers help just as many people as we help animals, if not more.

When it comes to death, I might have a little advantage. I had a near death experience (to those who believe in such things) a decade ago during a flash flood, where I was ten minutes under water. Since then I don't fear death at all anymore, because it's a beautiful thing, just the dying part sucks!

And the pains of releasing, well. I keep picturing myself as a nurse at an infant ward in a human hospital. She can love on those newborns and gets to keep some of them longer than the others, but once the mothers are ready, they have to 'let go' too.

The only difference in our case is that the mother here is Mother Nature.

So instead of feeling bad and worrying what might/could/should/will happen after release, I can smile and be grateful that I had the privilege to raise this animal and give it back to it's mother. Then it's my turn to leave and feel good about having done the right thing, because nothing has ever felt so right in my life. There is no doubt in my mind that I was born to what I'm doing right now. Just took me so long to get here!

Of course I get burned out here and there, frustrated, angry, sad and just flat out mad when I'm at a weak spot, stressed out, had no sleep in weeks, and then I want to quit too, but that usually doesn't long. Nobody is perfect .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-02-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo View Post
lol, that was the reason I got the automatic litter box . There was an older guy at our church that used to have lots of cats, but they all died over the years and he stopped getting new ones so he doesn't have any. He loved Rumble as soon as he saw him and we told him he could have the cat and he said he would love to but he couldn't clean the litterbox anymore and that was why he didn't get anymore cats. So, I got the automatic litterbox hoping that would do the trick, but he wasn't interested and has had a stroke so he really doesn't get around well. I thought the automatic litterbox would make someone more inclined to want him, but so far no luck.

As for rehabbing, my first couple releases were really hard on me. I wanted to continue protecting my little guys and when they moved on to be wild and live on their own, not needing my help (I fenced in my porch with that stuff that little bunnies can get through but not bigger animals like cats) and set out their food and everything and released them right near it. I was so bummed when they didn't go under there and stay there. After I got over that, it became enjoyable watching them run off, knowing that I helped give them another chance. When you rehab as much as Miss. Doolittle and I, release day becomes a relief. To be able to let them go knowing they are ready and that you have helped them is great, plus it makes room for the next creatures that you know will be coming.

For me, bunnies are my favorite creature to rehab and release. They are one of the most challenging creatures on the planet to keep alive because their guts are so sensitive, but it is so rewarding when they do make it. The wildlife center where I volunteer has given up on the eyes closed bunnies. If it is eyes closed and a volunteer won't take it home, then it gets euthanized . So, if I don't release bunnies, I will be full and can't take them in when the center calls me saying they have more, which means those bunnies die without getting a chance. That is what makes me sad and angry because they are paid to care for wildlife and don't. So for me, release day is a relief because it frees up time so I can take in that next set of bunnies that is bound to come into the center. The hardest thing in the world for me to do is to say no when they call with babies because I know what will happen. They get in hundreds of bunnies every year and it kills me to think of how many die without getting a second chance.

Sorry to ramble, I am beat and just waiting for 9 to roll around so I can do the last feeding of the day and go to bed.

I have a confession: I've always thought of bunnies as being a rather dumb animal, sort of like a cow..
*ducking from whatever squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is throwing at my head*
BUT that's only MY ignorance because I've no experience at ALL with them. I've seen a couple wild ones in my life and a few in pet stores, but never interacted with one. Maybe i should edumacate myself, because from the way you describe them, they sound far different from my the way I've viewed them. I'm going to YouTube "Baby Bunnies" after I'm done here..

EUTHANIZATION. Drives me crazy. The whole issue, and I know I am an outsider just catching a tiny glimpse of your frustration, but I AM FURIOUS at the laws. The week or two we spent learning about the laws governing wildlife and who can or cannot care for sick/injured animal, which creatures are killed simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or because their mom was a "pest", or because their eyes are shut, or they live in the wrong damn county... it's the most insane, mixed up, backwards, load of crap I've ever encountered! And THEN to be LIED to about a center's policy on euthanization... that's what happened to us, they flat out LIED to me about what they would do with the baby raccoon!! I am STILL fuming over that..

Heh, you apologize for rambling.. at least you don't RANT like me...
But this whole business with the laws is really eating me up and I am trying to think of some sort of action I can take. Have no clue what sort of action, but something, I need to do something, just to feel like I DID do something.. write a letter to a congressman, I dunno. I did call the center who lied about the euthanization and confronted them directly about it and they claimed it was an ill-trained volunteer who misinformed me. However I was told by a seasoned rehabber that it's not an uncommon practice to lie to the public in order to "protect" them..
Grrrrrrrrr...... I better quit typing, I could probably go on for hours about this... hahahha...

About letting them go.. just after we gave the baby coon to the rehabber my 7 year old daughter said "They are going to teach her to hate us, to hate humans, they are going to CHANGE her!" while she was crying... I think that was the saddest moment of the whole experience.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
I don't have much time right now, but wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to go through this. I just posted something to the other group that might help you a little:

People often ask me how I do it, how I can just release them and let go, how I watch them die and still move on.

So I tell them that I'm not God and only do the footwork, leave the results up to the higher powers, which also eliminated the "beating myself up" for every "loss". More often than not I have an animal rather die with me than with the family with the little kids that brought it to me, because it would have devastated them.

Little example: a mother with 3 children under 7 years of age came driving half an hour to bring me a nest of cottontails. They had mowed over the mother accidently. That was already traumatic enough to have witnessed, so they wanted to save the babies. By the time they got here, 2 were already dead and the last one died the second they pulled off the curb, but they didn't know it and I didn't tell them. So they left knowing they did the right thing and could start healing and I felt good about having been able to spare these kids from yet another trauma.

Somebody once accused me of not caring about people, only animals...I think us rehabbers help just as many people as we help animals, if not more.

When it comes to death, I might have a little advantage. I had a near death experience (to those who believe in such things) a decade ago during a flash flood, where I was ten minutes under water. Since then I don't fear death at all anymore, because it's a beautiful thing, just the dying part sucks!

And the pains of releasing, well. I keep picturing myself as a nurse at an infant ward in a human hospital. She can love on those newborns and gets to keep some of them longer than the others, but once the mothers are ready, they have to 'let go' too.

So instead of feeling bad and worrying what might/could/should/will happen after release, I can smile and be grateful that I had the privilege to raise this animal and give it back to it's mother. Then it's my turn to leave and feel good about having done the right thing, because nothing has ever felt so right in my life. There is no doubt in my mind that I was born to what I'm doing right now. Just took me so long to get here!

Of course I get burned out here and there, frustrated, angry, sad and just flat out mad when I'm at a weak spot, stressed out, had no sleep in weeks, and then I want to quit too, but that usually doesn't long. Nobody is perfect .

This is wonderfully written and I think I get it now. Thanks. The analogy of a nurse in a maternity unit is perfect.
You said rehabbers help people as much as animals: when I handed over the raccoon to the woman who was going to rehab her I felt such relief and gratitude. I had spent so much time worrying about doing the right thing, and at that moment, for the first time since we found her, I knew I had done the right thing, the best I could have for the baby. What you guys do is as invaluable to people as much as animals. You know Ryan from Yahoo? Just TALKING to him on the phone eased my mind more than he'll ever know. Messages from you comforted me, gave me hope. So yeah, you do help people, probably more than you know.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Thanks! That was a nice thing to say .

I'm with you on euthanizing animals at the wrong place at the wrong time and misunderstood on top of everything. That's why I'm doing what I'm doing...it's the only way I found somewhat efficient to make a difference in at least a few of these lifes.

I figured that everybody can complain and get angry, but DOING something about it is the only thing that works.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle

This helped me too, I so admire people like you.