Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Rabies vs loss of fear of humans

I'd never say anything to a guy who needs the food! But we both know that's not the majority.

The worst I find is when they take their kids along. Sometimes as young as 5 years old. Just recently they had a picture of 13 year old on the front page of our paper holding proudly 2 coyotes he had shot with bow and arrow.

Or the neighbor who took a baseball bat to the maybe 8 weeks old raccoon right in front of my eyes and beat it to death in front of his then 9 year old son, claiming it had distemper because it was out in the day light.

That same son, now 5 years later looks at me totally puzzled when I told him I'm raising orphaned raccoons. To him that's like raising mosquitoes!

I know a guy who loves to gross me out with his hunting stories. He thinks I'm supposed to find it funny when he tells me how he cut that hog apart with a chain saw, the same one he was holding cutting down my trees. Dried blood still on it.

Just now over the police scanner - Animal Control: "The dog just jumped out of the bed of a pickup, the owners are going to tie him in." Pfffft.

The deer situation...it really doesn't matter what the cause or situation or why and how, the deer is the loser in the end because of humans, that's the sad fact.

By the way, I had already bought 12 acres and had funding to construct a 12 ft chain link fence around and working on the paperwork to make this a wolf sanctuary. It was way out in the country, no neighbors for a mile, it'd be perfect.

Wolves would be my #1 choice to rehab, if I had a choice. I worked with a pack before and it's just where my heart felt most alive.

But that real estate deal fell through, well no we were screwed actually, it ended in court and the broker pulled a bankruptcy on us and we lost 25 000 dollars. We are still recovering from that 7 years later...gosh, I could have built quite a rescue for that kind of money right here.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
I'd never say anything to a guy who needs the food! But we both know that's not the majority.

The worst I find is when they take their kids along. Sometimes as young as 5 years old. Just recently they had a picture of 13 year old on the front page of our paper holding proudly 2 coyotes he had shot with bow and arrow.

Or the neighbor who took a baseball bat to the maybe 8 weeks old raccoon right in front of my eyes and beat it to death in front of his then 9 year old son, claiming it had distemper because it was out in the day light.

That same son, now 5 years later looks at me totally puzzled when I told him I'm raising orphaned raccoons. To him that's like raising mosquitoes!

I know a guy who loves to gross me out with his hunting stories. He thinks I'm supposed to find it funny when he tells me how he cut that hog apart with a chain saw, the same one he was holding cutting down my trees. Dried blood still on it.

Just now over the police scanner - Animal Control: "The dog just jumped out of the bed of a pickup, the owners are going to tie him in." Pfffft.

The deer situation...it really doesn't matter what the cause or situation or why and how, the deer is the loser in the end because of humans, that's the sad fact.

By the way, I had already bought 12 acres and had funding to construct a 12 ft chain link fence around and working on the paperwork to make this a wolf sanctuary. It was way out in the country, no neighbors for a mile, it'd be perfect.

Wolves would be my #1 choice to rehab, if I had a choice. I worked with a pack before and it's just where my heart felt most alive.

But that real estate deal fell through, well no we were screwed actually, it ended in court and the broker pulled a bankruptcy on us and we lost 25 000 dollars. We are still recovering from that 7 years later...gosh, I could have built quite a rescue for that kind of money right here.

Dang, yep a friend gave me some photos of the Druid peak pack in Yellowstone =beautiful stuff
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Oh man...I have a few things to say, let me start with the last posts first.

I'm not even going to comment on the gas pouring to get rid of armadillos bit, ya'll know me good enough by now that to guess what I'd say.

Now, "'hunting in order to control population". If there indeed still is an overpopulation of any kind, then it is because we are taking their habitat away.

So because man takes the land away from the animals it's ok to shoot them because there is an overpopulation? My answer to that is NO. That reason or excuse does not fly with me anymore.

I have not not met ONE hunter that kills in order to eat or "help the overpopulation". They all do/did it because they are having FUN.

As to the coon...they only become nocturnal at the age of about 1 year old. Until then they are outside during the day, mostly with mom around too.

There's one perfectly normal reason to see adult coons outside during the day.

How many coons have you seen up close to determine if he was confused or maybe just raised by a person and wanted food? Which could be another reason why appeared tame.

If it was rabies, it had to be in the beginning stages of infecting the brain, because a thrown soda can would not have scared it off.

Yes, poison is another possibility. Lots of people put anti-freeze out to "get rid of unwanted pests".

Of course it could have been rabies. Distemper shows almost the exact same symptoms too. Here a raccoon can pretty much only get rabies when bitten by a skunk.

In any case, it was a good move to chase the animal off and not give in and encourage it stay by throwing food at it. It's never wrong to be cautious!

Just for the record, please read that rabies article Bear pointed out (thanks!) here, since you and obviously your aunt still believe in some of the most common misconceptions:

http://rainbowwildlife.com/news/rabies-article.html

and here is a shorter and a bit simpler version:

http://rainbowwildlife.com/news/shor...s-article.html

I see that I too didn't go into the "seeing a coon at daylight spells rabies" myth, grmpf. Next time!

K there is a misconception here...it was NOT daylight it was 12 midnight. It came up about 5-10 feet from us at a campfire while hollering and being drunk.... My aunt lives up there and has never had a coon come that close and act the way we described so I would rather call it experience not misconception. I understand your feelings about hunting but the problem is, we have taken their land and it wont ever stop so control has to be done. My aunt and uncle hunt because they prefer the meat over farm raised hormone fed cattle. I think hunting is a topic that some people are totally for and some totally against. I did read that distemper and rabies can show similar signs. This coon was by no means showing the same demeanor I am used to with them...I lived in the mountains and they were very common and not once did one NOT run off when I came close...I saw plenty of raccoons during the daytime and plenty at night. My experience was just not normal and it scared and confused me when he looked out of it.
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Let me clear something up first:

I'm not trying to talk you out of being concerned here, I'm just throwing some information around that should be considered before making a judgment call, even though we'll probably never know if there was something wrong with the animal or not. All we can do is speculate. I"m also not trying to undermine your aunt's experience with raccoons or am saying that your concerns are invalid.

Having said that, have you checked your county's statistics to see if you have confirmed cases of rabies in raccoons in your area? Or any confirmed cases at all? There might be an outbreak for all we know.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ive seen more coons with distemper than rabies . We are really having a problem with it. Well it made for a memoral camping trip for ya for sure.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Let me clear something up first:

I'm not trying to talk you out of being concerned here, I'm just throwing some information around that should be considered before making a judgment call, even though we'll probably never know if there was something wrong with the animal or not. All we can do is speculate. I"m also not trying to undermine your aunt's experience with raccoons or am saying that your concerns are invalid.

Having said that, have you checked your county's statistics to see if you have confirmed cases of rabies in raccoons in your area? Or any confirmed cases at all? There might be an outbreak for all we know.

No that is a great idea tho! This is not where I live lol but up in the high altitude mountains. I asked my aunt and she said yes rabies is pretty bad up there, but neither of us were sure if it was in raccoons or just skunks. Definitely will check out the statistics. I just felt real bad for the poor thing. I hope he is ok
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Ive seen more coons with distemper than rabies . We are really having a problem with it. Well it made for a memoral camping trip for ya for sure.

I can imagine, considering how long distemper virus can survive outside of the body (months) compared to the rabies virus, which dies within 24 hours in an infected animal. I'm not sure how long it'll stay alive in saliva left behind on a bowl of water for example...ha! Back to research LOL.