Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Unhappy Pink Head

I am seeing a squirrel who is missing fur all over the top of her head. Her head is pink. She is active and appears healthy otherwise. Will this self-correct? What should I do? This squirrel is very shy and fearful.
Thank you.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Pink Head

Heyas Helper, let me ask you a few questions:

is this a squirrel that is living in your yard or one you raised?
can you tell if it's an adult or still growing?
when did you notice the pink spot first?
has the spot been growing since you first noticed it?
does the exposed skin look inflamed or painful to you?
are there other bald spots on this squirrel or any other squirrels?
do you think it bothers the squirrel?
and do you think it could have just scraped his head somewhere?

Lets start with that .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Hi Mrs Dolittle,
Thank you so much for your wonderfully prompt reply. I have lived on the second floor of an apartment complex for about 6 years. I have a deck and have been feeding several squirrels and birds on the deck since I moved in. (It started with one very special squirrel and my patronage grew from there.) I have about 7 "place settings" currently on the deck. This squirrel is one of several I have been feeding. As much as I love the squirrels I can't tell them apart. I "kinda" remember seeing a squirrel with a small pink spot some time ago, but I am not 100% sure about that. He is definitely an adult squirrel. I did not notice any other bald spots on this squirrel. I did see one tiny pink spot on a squirrel some time ago (I think it was a different squirrel, but that is only a guess really). I figured it was from a bird peck. Those are the only bald spots I have seen. The bald spot does not seem to bother the squirrel. It does not look inflamed or painful to me. I did not see any scabs or blood or anything. It was just so large in that it covered the entire head. I have not seen the squirrel today. I hope it is just a scrape, but the size of it is what bothers me.
Thank you.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator

That sounds like it's really just a scrape or a burn maybe. Keep an eye on it and see if it gets bigger or starts changing in any way. Of course I can only guess without seeing it.

Your set up sounds beautiful! I'm glad you enjoy these cute critters up close!

I don't know what kind of food you are putting out, but in case it's the commercial corn/sunflowerseeds/peanuts mix they sell as squirrel food at the stores, you might want to read this thread here:

http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...read.php?t=832

There's lots of variety out there that's probably cheaper and much healthier for them .
Old 07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator

I forgot to mention...if you ever manage to shoot a picture of the squirrel with the spot visible..I'd like to see it!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Hi MissDoolittle,
Thank you for your good news about the pink-headed squirrel. Currently I have neither a camera nor a scanner. I do plan to buy a camera. A scanner is beyond my means right now. I feed the squirrels peacans, peanuts (without shells), and sunflower seeds. All of what I feed them is human food without salt or preservatives. I have tried feeding them spinach and broncolli, but they will not eat it. I placed an organic strawberry in one of the food dishes and one of the squirrels ate it. He looked so adorable running across the railing of the deck with the strawberry in his jaws. I am going to be buying more of those for them. I am going to be trying other foods on the list to see if they will eat them.
I was surprised to see that "sunflower seeds" was on the food list as a food to be avoided. I thought sunflower seeds were good for them. Like I said, I feed them the sunflower seeds intended for humans-not the ones with hulls. Why are sunflower seeds considered bad for them?
Thank you so much for your helping me help the squirrels.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

If you get a camera these days, you don't need a scanner, because all cameras have cables that go directly into the computer and transfer the pictures you shot onto your hard drive. Or they have little cards/chips that you take out and stick into a slot in the computer. I have a scanner and never use it, because it's easier for me to photograph a document and send the picture, if I need it. How's that for good news?

OK, back to the squirrels!

Sunflower seeds are like chocolate to a child. It's ok, but only in small amounts.

The main problem with the diet is that the teeth of a squirrel are continuously growing and need to be kept from overgrowing, which will result in the starvation of the animal.

So the squirrel needs to gnaw on things like hard-shelled nuts and tree bark.

I don't want to scare you, but this is the result of commercial squirrel diet and overgrown teeth:

The teeth cut into the gums and cause infection, the squirrel isn't capable of chewing anymore and eventually dies.

Here, the squirrels live off pecans and acorns, so the only food I ever offer them are pecans and acorns along with some fresh fruits. Only on Sundays do they get a big plate of sunflower seeds and peanuts and unshelled nuts.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM

How aweful!! I feed the squirrels hard shelled (holiday nuts) from when they go on the market in October until they are no longer available (about February). There are loads of Oak trees around so they get plenty of acorns in the fall. I know where I can get some Brazil nuts (without shells), but I do not know where I could find hard shelled nuts this time of year. (I live in Virginig Beach, VA). Is there somewhere I could buy them something to chew on in case they are not eating hard enough food? They are going to be very upset if I stop feeding them. Thank you so much.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Nono, don't stop feeding them, just cut down the 'bad' stuff and add more of the 'good' stuff . I buy nuts year around either online or at produce markets.