Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Default Seizures in squirrels

Hi my names Aly I volunteer for a wildlife center in Oregon. We had both squirrels for a few weeks and all of a sudden they appeared to develope problems rapidly. Even though the other squirrels the same age have no problems.

We've run across some rather disturbing squirrel problems. Here's some info from the lady that runs the center in our quest to find out what happened to a few of our little guys.

Her message:One was 5 weeks old at passing and the other 3 weeks at passing
Had both for 2 weeks
Did not have parasites on intake nor were they cat caught nor bloody noses etc.
Just dehydrated and we always SQ fluids right away and for 24 hours then introduce Esbilac at 4:1 ratio, 3:1 ratio and finally 2:1 ratio and feed every 3-4 hours around the clock until eyes open then eliminate the 2AM feeding
Feces and Urine were normal and eliminated every feedingGrowth was perfect
No medís were given
Both had actual seizures Ė the feeding before they started they were lethargic and didnít eat well then the same thing with both Ė a few hours later they would twitch continually then every minute or so they would have a full seizure.
This continued for an hour or two then they died.

any ideas? Ė we know the Esbilac formula has changed this year but the signs users were complaining about was only diarrhea and the ingredients apparently didnít change, just the process. They suggested users mix a 2.5:1 or a 3:1 instead of 2:1. K- found info about the roundworm larvae migrating to the brain and even with our hygiene protocol that could have happened but I can hardly believe in all these years we havenít seen this happen before and our issues with housing raccoons are the best this year. No other squirrels in the 5 she had died (all from different families).

* I did see the second squirrel was developing foam around the mouth while having his non-subsiding seizures.

Any help would be majorly appreciated any more incidents that we can prevent would be awesome!

Thanks,Aly
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Seizures in squirrels

This is really hard to figure out. It does sound like it could have been something genetic going on or they had injuries from a fall that only show up later.

I'm sure it was not the Esbilac and I very much doubt it was roundworms, but it's possible. I treat all my animals, dogs, cats, coons and myself with human-grade Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension. It says it's for pinworms, but it also kills the raccoon roundworm.

I have not tried it on squirrels yet though...didn't see the need to.

Foam on the mouth during seizing is normal since the control over the saliva function is lost.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 PM

thanks MissDolittle, one was an eastern and the other a fox squirrel so it caught us off guard. I will give her your message of what you think. Thanks so much.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I was hoping for more ideas from the other rehabbers around here, but I guess they are busy busy busy.

If you ever get to find out what this was, please let me know!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog