Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Default Baby squirrel HELP!!

I have a 3-4 week est baby sq.....he has been on esbiliac for the 3 weeks I have had him....His mom got hit by a car and so now I have him....He has been eating well but he seems to have lost weight....now this morning I am hearing a clicking noise and I have read all about this....closet lady I have to call tonight is about and hour from me....I have also talked to the vet and they r not sure how much antibotic to give cause they r not wild life or they would.....is there possibly any thing antibotic wise I would have here at home that would get me started....I also have a guy that will be back in town in a day or 2 that can help...need to get him started on something...Can anyone please help.....I has asprirated 2 times and I did hold him upside down and done all I was suppose to do.....I was on here reading the day I got him but now I need help!!! Please to hold him for a few days til he gets in town...thank you!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby squirrel HELP!!

Welcome on board and thanks for taking care of the squirrel!

The pneumonia usually comes from aspirating (milk coming out of the nose while feeding), but if caught early enough, chances are good that it will heal with the correct meds.

I'm using either Infant Amoxil or Clavamox. Both available at the vet's. We have a thread about the dosage, but I usually give mine a 1/10th of 1 cc twice a day for a week of Amoxil (50 mg).

I encourage you to read through the squirrel posts, lots of info about that!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM

I have read thur everything....problem is I do not have either.....My heart goes out to little guy...he ate really good about 2 hours ago....just this clicking noise.....I can not get my hands on no liquid amox....I have a anti that says sulf/trimeth 800/160 but its tablets and I know right now Im in a pickle but I dont want to do nothing without i guess some support....I know i have read people wing it....but im to scared but the way he is going what else can I do....I will know in 30 mins about amox in a capsule form and one other anti so I will post the mg and the name of each as soon as i know. Have called all I know for some childrens amox
thank you
Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM

ok MissD....sorry.....I have some amox coming in one hour.....125mg/5ml....problem now!!! I have no idea how much this baby weighs.....I est 3-4 weeks...bottom teeth are in ..no tops yet...hair on tail fuzzy....you can tell eyes gonna open anyday he blinks Can you possibly give me a good idea on cc wise....I was gonna shoot for the .05 that I read....What do u think! And how many times a day? Should I still continue to feed formula or stay on pedilyte?
Thank you again!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator

OMG I so suck at dosages! Your Amox is twice as strong as mine, so you'd need to give less than 1/10th of 1 cc. The bottom of a 1 cc syringe is barely covered..it's hardly a drop that he gets.

Is he dehydrated? Then continue with the Pedialyte. If he is not dehydrated there is no reason to feed Pedialyte. They often get the runs from it and that won't help to digest the medication.

Continue formula as usual but give meds twice a day for a week to 10 days.

And hopefully some other more dosage-skilled rehabbers will post soon here!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM

He just ate 3 cc's 2 ml formula to 1 ml water....I have been hydrating since 7 oclock yesterday afternoon....I started formula back today at 3....He has took in all aprx 8 cc's formula today.....He is very very weak.....so I barely dribbled the formula and he swallowed...so thats where we r right now....the weakness is what im worried about.....thats why i keep thinkin like a mom push clear liquids when sick... just a mom u know...Im his mom now but have to transform from human to animals...lol I hope he pulls thur.
thank you
Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Just figured I'd come back and let you know MissD that he didnt make it! (((
It just came on so quick....He was so good yesterday but then the clicking and 3 hours ago I started hearing the click in the throat....I wish I would have known sooner and I could have gotten the amox sooner....I guess that is what happend=s when you r new to a baby squirrel. I have always gotten attached to my animals and this one I did took...cant help but to love the little guys and gals. Thank you for what info you could help me with but this was a lesson learned....TO EVERYONE that see this and has homed a baby squirrel..prefessional help is the best way if u can get to them...I take this to heart and realize no matter what we get attached and its a family member lost!!! I tried getting him to someone but no one close or was in town so I was trying my best to come up with options BUT if it were one of our children would we wing it to hope he or she lived..NO! So as much as I loved having the little guy around I will have a way and a source if I ever find another lonsome dove some where to take them!! Will miss the little guy even tho he was only 4 weeks old!!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

I am so sorry! I know you did your best. Pneumonia can happen fast, sometimes it only takes aspirating once. If that happens I start my squirrels on Amox right away. Almost all babies I get from people that had them for a few days or longer have been aspirated.

That's how I got started...found a baby mockingbird and did all the wrong things and it died. I swore to myself that this is not going to happen anymore just because of my lack of knowledge.
Since then I'm learning as much as I can and share that information online with everybody who listens.