Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Default Cat gets sick a lot

I adopted a four year old cat from the humane society a few months ago. He's the most loving cat I've ever had. About every two weeks, he throws up all of his food. His check ups are fine, and he eats normally. I monitor his food (as he's a bit overweight) and make sure he has plenty of fresh water daily. I also brush him to help prevent hair balls. He doesn't really like butter, nor hair ball remedy, so I figure brushing a least helps a bit.

I've had several cats in my lifetime, and don't remember them have ever been sick like this. He isn't fatigued, doesn't act abnormally, and uses the bathroom with no problems. Any ideas what causes this? A quick search on Wikipedia states its normal for them to get sick this often, but I just don't remember it when I was younger.

- Michelle
Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Cat gets sick a lot

Hmmm, this could have numerous causes. My cats throw up at least once a week, right back into the food bowl, eeeew! But they are doing this for 7 years now, so I'm not worried at all. They just puke more often than the cats I owned before, that's all. To me it's cleaning out the system.

Have you de-wormed him? Did a vet check him out? Is he neutered? Vaccinated? Does he get to go outside? Have you tried switching diet? Offered him some cat grass?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Cat gets sick a lot

My Cat Beanie would go through wee stages of this.

Finally worked out what it was after 2 years. It only ever happened when we got a certain brand of dry food. what would happen was that she'd get a belly full of food then take a big drink of water and the food would expand in her tummy lol.

Could be something really silly like this but I wouldnt say it is anything to worry too much over as long as hes bright in himself and the tests were clear.

Keep us posted