Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 AM

Default Orphan screaming when trying to stimulate to pee - help needed!

I took on 2 orphan babies nearly 2 weeks ago and lost one on day 3. Squeak was originally the smaller of the 2 but seemed to be going from strength to strength.

Squeak had her 2nd vet check-up on Friday and we found out he's a she! The vet said her bum was very sore and to be a bit more gentle and try some cream if needed. Since last night she won't let me stimulate her at all! I did the warm water bath for her rear end to get her to pee and I'm hoping she'll calm down enough to be able to stimulate her properly with her next feed. She was born May 6th so it's now day 13 for my baby girl. She's become very clingy the past 2 days, demanding to be held and to sleep in my arms - until then she had been more than happy to sleep in her nest with a warm rice-bag. Her eyes are still shut although they do look like they could be opening at the corners.
A friend suggested using weak tea on the washcloth instead of warm water as it's a mild antiseptic, has anyone tried this? If not any other suggestions on making her pee/poo time a bit more comfortable for her?

I'm attaching a pic, just because I'm so proud of my beautiful girl.. I know she hasn't made it yet, but she's nearly 2 weeks old - it's ok to be optimistic now right?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Orphan screaming when trying to stimulate to pee - help needed!

OMG, she's so tiny, my two now 10 month old cats, where about the same age when I adopted them, maybe a day or two older, one of them hated to be stimulated, and about a week later was using already the litter box, she just hated it, she didn't poop again after ther first time I stimulated her, until she learned to use the litter box, the vet suggested to use suppositories for constipation, for babes of course, he said to use a tiny bit to get her going, that migth work. Also changing the composition of the formula helps, and about the eyes she's about to open them, maybe not completely, but a little bit at the time. And her being clingy maybe is because she adopted you as her mom, and also maybe she noticed that the other little guy is not aroun anymore, my two cats at this age slept hugging each other, and would not go to sleep if they were separated. one of them loves still to be with her mom clinging and sleeping in her arms, the other one prefers a corner of the bed just for her. and be optimistic about her, they smell that, if you give her the will to live she'll grow up to be a playfull and healty kitty.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Sounds like overstimulation to me. Here's what I do with sore bums. Leave them alone. If they gotta go, they will go, if you stimulate or not. Just clean the baby after the fact instead of making her go for a few days until the soreness has improved.

If you can be sure that she won't lick anything off her behind, I suggest putting some human triple antibiotic ointment on it and just leave it alone. With baths and this and that you are just going to dry out the skin even more and make it worse.

Welcome on board, by the way!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 AM

My kitten has had bowel movements just fine, but I can't see that she has peed in acouple of day. We believe She is now about 6 weeks old and has been eating small bits of cooked chicken with dry kitten food moistened with kitten formula mixed with some yogurt. She will poop in the litter box but not pee. I will try stimulating her tomorrow. I stopped because she was pooping on her own. Help !
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Administrator

5 - 6 weeks is the age where they are are starting to become comfy with the litter box. They first poo in it, the peeing part takes for some reason a bit longer with some kittens.

I'm sure your kitten pees, just not in the box, yet .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog