Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Maggots and Birthdefect (Warning: graphic and gross!)

Thank you guys .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Mange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
I just pulled a bunch of maggots out of that oozing eye...that is the grossest thing ever!!! Any idea how to treat/kill those? I heard they only eat dead flesh, so they might not be the worst thing that happened?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Mange?

I saw an "ER" documentary on TV where a homeless man went to the hospital ER with maggots from the knee down to the foot. The ER doctor was grossed out but said the maggots saved the leg and foot from being amputated because the maggots feast on dead tissue. The doctor cleaned up the leg and gave the man antibiotics and sent him on his way. This is a good thing.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Hey MissD, sorry to hear about all of your losses... But I am glad you are able to pull through, and can concentrate on the little guys that you still have.

As for the maggots.. well, that kitten must have been extremely ill. Although maggots aren't necessarily bad because they eat up the rotten or dead flesh, it's usually not a good sign that they have developed in the first place.

Poor kitty. At least he had somebody fantastic to take care of him before he passed on!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM

What disgusts me is how people that are suppose to be a bit smarter than animals can treat defenseless creatures the way they do. I would say that the animal world has more intelligence and compassion than a lot of humans. To treat innocent animals the way some people do is a crime. Too bad someone doesnt abuse them the way they do animals. Thank you for doing your best in helping those poor hurting little ones. If they go they go feeling loved.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Thanks! Unfortunately it seems that there are more ignorant cruel people out there than not..we sure got our work cut out for us.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Awww, Miss Doolittle, this story is so sad. The poor little kitten. You absolutely did the right thing in my opinion, but that never makes it any easier does it? All we can do is our best. Remember that if you weren't there, none of the animals in your care would have gotten a second chance. Every animal saved makes all the heartache and work worth it.

I just lost a squirrel yesterday to a freak accident. I had cleaned the squirrel cage out and released the squirrels back in (from their nestbox) and I had all their nestboxes out to clean and they were running frantic in the cage because they run away from me and my brother was out too and one jumped onto the big ledge about 6 and a half feet high and launched herself off into the open part of the cage and landed on her shoulders/back and just went limp. It looked like she tried to get up but then just took two quick breaths and was gone. I was right outside the cage and was in in about 10 seconds, but she was already gone . That will be the last time I ever leave the squirrels nestboxless! I was just wanting to get them back into the cage because they were making all kinds of racket and getting aggitated in the boxes, so I thought they would be better off going back in ASAP instead of waiting till I could clean some of the boxes and put them back. That was the wrong choice. I had the ledge lowered too about 4 feet, put straw around and won't ever leave them without a box and I hope nothing like that happens again. That has been the only death in over a month now and it is still so hard to handle. I can't imagine losing 20 in a week . You are amazing and do so much to help all the animals that come your way. Try to find comfort knowing you are doing your best and doing the right thing. Always remember the successes. Sometimes it is nice to have a release video or maybe one of a kitten or puppy you raised going to a loving home and watch that when you are feeling down. It helps a little.