Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Lone Ranger and Grizzly Bear

These two guys are now permanent residence of Little Whiskers and Paws Rescue. I got Lone Ranger when he was three weeks old. He is the only surviving one of the litter of 4 coons. He has some health issues with joints and his very small size. He weighed 15 oz at 12 weeks old when he went to the vet and he wasn't underweight. His biggest problem his to put it very simply he is mentally very slow. He doesn't have the fear of things that he should and he doesn't figure things out very quickly. He was clearly unreleasable so I now have a possesion permit and an education permit for him.
Grizzly Bear I got from another rehabber when he was 5 weeks old. He was also small for his age but not as bad. He has some arthritis issues that prevented his release. He was pretty healthy otherwise and he is definantly mentally all there. To see him and Lone Ranger (AKA Bump) together can be funny at times. Once I gave the two of them some minnows and Bump was taking to fish away from Grizzly and putting them back in the water. Almost like he was trying to save them . So I have a possesion permit for Grizzly also and am working on getting an eductional permit for him as well.
Both boys are about 8-9 months old now and have both been nuetered.
It has been great fun watching them grow up and of course the satisfaction of seeing them enjoying life now and remembering the fight we had to get them healthy is always there. It is an experience totally different from rehab though to plan for the well being of these guys for years to come. Things like keeping them active and stimulated can sometimes be challenging. I love it though and it has also allowed me to observe their behavior in a different way. I have gotten to see more of the social behaviors since they don't run when they see me coming.
I have some little videos of them and lots of pictures that I will have to put up soon.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Lone Ranger and Grizzly Bear

Here is a picture of the boys when they were about 5-6 months old.
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_6116.jpg
And here is one of Lone Ranger (aka Bump) now.
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_6191.jpg
And then Grizzly Bear now.
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...IMG_6197_1.jpg

It has been colder the last week or so and Grizzly has been needing his arthritis meds twice a day again. I had been able to take him off of them for a little while but when it gets down into the single digit temperatures it really bothers him.

We are trying to start doing some educational programs. Does anyone have any tips on getting started?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator

They are looking very good!! Great job!

As to educational programs, go to your State's website and see if they offer educational permits. Every State has a different law about it and different hoops to jump through.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-13-2010, 02:32 PM

Yea, I already have the educational permit for Ranger. I still need to get the one for Grizzly.
Here in Indiana you have to have a wildlife possesion permit and then an educational permit for each animal. I have the possession permit for both boys but only an educational permit for Ranger so far.
I am just trying to elicit some interest in the programs. I am charging for the programs to help pay for gas, the supplies needed for the programs ( printer ink ect) and for the care of my wild animals. I don't know if that is making it more difficult or not.
I guess we'll just see how things go.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator

How about not charging anything and do it on donation basis? Depends on where and what. If it's an elementary school, it's probably useless to ask the kids for their lunch money lol.

But if it's a presentation for the Lion's club or something, heck, give out little information fliers where the bottom part is a donation thingie that people can cut off with your address and bank information too..in addition to passing a collection box around of course.

At least that's how I have planned it.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 AM

That is a good idea. Maybe we will have to try that.
Do you do any programs or just planning?