Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Bringing Home Penumbra

Famous last words on my part: "I'm going to go to the animal shelter and sign up to be an animal foster parent, but I will take just a peek at the cats up for adoption."

Well. Upon entering the SPCA Montreal, and looking at the cats, my resolve shattered into a million pieces. I immediately took a liking to two cats in particular, an older cat named Frimousse who was as fluffy as a sheep and as sweet as candy, or Kiki, a shy, sweet thing who is a year and a half old and only weighs 6 pounds.

After doing the whole thing where I tried to rationalize, tried to come up with excuses, I decided that I wanted to provide a home for an abandoned animal. After discussing the possibility of another cat with my boyfriend, we decided that Kiki would ultimately be the better choice for us if we did choose to adopt. I managed to convince my boyfriend to come with me to the SPCA and made him play with Kiki. His heart was sold.

The little gal was found abandoned in an apartment building by the previous tenants and she was pregnant. She was fostered until she gave birth and until her kittens were old enough to be adopted out (she had a litter of seven kittens!) and then was brought back to the SPCA. She was there for about six weeks. Yesterday, we made it official. She's getting fixed today and then we're bringing her home in the evening! We've also decided to re-name her to Penumbra, because she's black, and also because a penumbra is a half-shadow and she only has half of a tail! (We don't know the story behind that, apparently when she was found it was already gone)

I'm kinda proud.. this is my first shelter adoption, hehe. All of the cats I've ever had have either been strays we've saved from the street, or kittens we've taken in from friends.

Anyway, I don't have any pictures yet, except for the ones on the PetFinder website. But I can't wait to bring her home!!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Bringing Home Penumbra

Wow, congrats! What an adorable cat! I'm looking forward hearing the stories .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Well, so far she's the sweetest little thing on the earth with us, but the other cats aren't too fond of her, but she's holding her own. She actually gave Bang, the alpha, a good smack on the nose which is surprising because she just had her surgery yesterday.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Hehe, ya that's a lot of stress in one day..new home, surgery, hormones, new cats, wow. I'm surprised she only gave him one smack.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM

For the most part we've been doing cat rounds. Leaving her in a room alone with one of us for a while, while the other cats sniff her through the door, and vice versa. I slept with her last night as well, and she spent most of the night either sleeping on my feet, or cuddled up against my face. I'm just hoping it doesn't take -too- long for all of the cats to get used to each other.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Well, the new cats are starting to warm up to her quite nicely, and she is eating a LOT! I get the feeling that she didn't get to eat as much as she would have liked at her old home.. she is certainly making up for it here!