Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Default sick squirre baby

I recieved a baby squirrel three days ago. From everything I looked up on the internet I think he is about 10 days to 2 weeks old. For the past two days he has been doing really well. I used pedialyte for about 20 hours to make sure he was hydrated and then slowly converted over to Esbilac powder formula. He also has a pretty bad cut on one back leg and i have been cleaning it with antibacterial soap and betadine. Today he is sneezing and doesn't want to eat at all. I have some amoxicillin 125 mg/5ml liquid. I don't know how much he weighs but he is very small. Should I use it and how much. Also he seems to be dehydrated again. What should I do?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Default Re: sick squirre baby

Welcome on board, sqbaby1!

As a first question I have to ask if you have tried to reach a licensed rehabilitator and point out that it is illegal in most US States to possess a squirrel.

Having said that, sneezing is usually a sign of pneumonia. Did any of the formula come out of his nose when you fed him? That is the most common cause for that.

Amoxicillin is the way to go, but the dosage...we had been discussing it here: http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...highlight=amox

As to the dehydration, stick with the pedialyte in between normal feeding and dilute the Esbilac a little too.

With what do you feed him? Syringe? Bottle? Eyedropper?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Yes I have tried to reach a rehabilitator but they have not found someone to take him yet. They are still trying but I want to do my best to save him while he is here. Some formula did come out his nose a couple times and i turned him over and wiped him off but it must have been more than I thought. I am using a syringe to feed him with. I still don't understand how much amox to give him ans how often. Thank You for your help!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Bless your heart! Lets see if we can figure this out.

The baby has the eyes still closed right? Is there any way you can post a picture?

Usually babies of 2 weeks weigh around a 100 grams, so you would have to give .05 cc's. If you have a 1 cc syringe, the medication should just about cover the bottom of it...it's really a tiny tiny amount. He would need that twice a day for a week.

Do you have a nipple on the syringe? What size of syringe do you use? Does he suckle on it?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

What state are you in? Maybe we can help you find a rehabber. I know a lot of rehabbers in a lot of different states from another forum I am on.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 PM

I don't get how squirrels are illegal to own when there are so many! Why does an animal become illegal to own? I'm confused.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I think that mostly, reason number one for making an animal illegal is to protect humans, not the animal, from dangers such as parasites, diseases, etc.

Second reason is that it's somewhat an international thing by now, that all native wildlife is illegal to own. In a place where squirrels don't live, it's probably legal to own them as exotics, like it's legal here to own hedgehogs, which upsets me a lot, having grown up in Germany witnessing them growing up wild and free.

Does that shed a bit more light on it?

P.S (edit to add): I was told that the entire wildlife made illegal deal was started back in the 70ies to stop the spread of rabies and diseases in roadside parks and petting zoos.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 PM

ahhh that makes sense. But what about protecting the animals? That should be taken into consideration, too.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

They usually have to end up on the endangered species list first before they get any kind of protection, I suppose.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuggie View Post
I don't get how squirrels are illegal to own when there are so many! Why does an animal become illegal to own? I'm confused.

I know it's crazy isn't it?!!! I am very lucky though, the rehabber I found talked me in to taking classes and becoming a rehabber myself. They want you to volunteer with a local rehabber to make sure you really want to take on that kind of responsibility so I am helping rehab my baby squirre. I love it!!
I can't wait until I get my license so I can do it by myself.