Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Default Orphaned Raccoon

This little girl's mom was shot, then her siblings were drowned.. My husband saved this one. We're afraid the Ohio Wildlife Center will euthanize her, we were told they DID euthanize single babies, although someone else told us they didn't. We've had her 6 days and are completely head over heels in love with her. I know it's a bad idea to keep her, but the thought of her being killed breaks my heart. I keep saying "tomorrow, we'll take her in tomorrow". I'm so sad but at the same time feel so blessed at being able to experience her at all. From reading your posts I can see that you guys probably understand what I mean.
I can't seem to find a way to insert a picture, so here's a video I made of her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHUauwtroY
Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Orphaned Raccoon

Hi there. I am a licensed rehabber in Ohio. What county are you in? Some counties are legal and others aren't so you want to be very careful of taking her into a center. If you are in a legal county, they would take the baby in, but if you are in an illegal county they must euthanize her. If you end up in being in an illegal county, I can PM you with some names of people you can call.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Welcome on board, Lorithehun! You bet I understand where you are coming from and I so appreciate you caring for the little girl. Just make sure you familiarize yourself with the health risks raccoon poo (click HERE for more info) and saliva poses and protect yourself, your family, and your pets from it.

If you can't find a licensed rehabber to take the baby, please join the Yahoo Raccoon group. For some there are only raccoons found in Ohio the past few days it seems and there are a few rehabbers that can probably help you out.

You can find the group here: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RR6PUBLIC/

Lots of good information on there too!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks squirrelsrule&bunniestoo!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo View Post
Hi there. I am a licensed rehabber in Ohio. What county are you in? Some counties are legal and others aren't so you want to be very careful of taking her into a center. If you are in a legal county, they would take the baby in, but if you are in an illegal county they must euthanize her. If you end up in being in an illegal county, I can PM you with some names of people you can call.

Hi, squirrelsrule&bunniestoo, and thanks for responding! I'm in Franklin County. The information we've received has been SO contradictory that I don't know what to believe anymore. I almost think, paranoid as it sounds, that the Ohio Wildlife Center (located at 2665 Billingsly Rd.) might be misleading us in order to get us to surrender the raccoon. I KNOW that sounds incredibly paranoid, but I've talked to 2 different women there and received 2 different stories; one said they HAD to euthanize her, the other said that that is nonsense, they never euthanize.

Trying to obtain information off the internet is, as always, like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hydrant. I've read & read & followed link after link, and no 2 web sites say the same thing. This forum seems to be the most logical, I'm glad I stumbled upon it

My email address is crazynafz@live.com, and thanks again
I posted a new video if anyone is interested, it's of the baby chasing my little girl. I'm not sure if the raccoon (Annabelle) is playing or just REALLY wants my daughter to hold her.. I won't let my daughter hold her, though.. I'm afraid my daughter might contract disease or worms.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Welcome on board, Lorithehun! You bet I understand where you are coming from and I so appreciate you caring for the little girl. Just make sure you familiarize yourself with the health risks raccoon poo (click HERE for more info) and saliva poses and protect yourself, your family, and your pets from it.

If you can't find a licensed rehabber to take the baby, please join the Yahoo Raccoon group. For some there are only raccoons found in Ohio the past few days it seems and there are a few rehabbers that can probably help you out.

You can find the group here: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RR6PUBLIC/

Lots of good information on there too!

Thanks so much, MissDollittle, you're the person who led me to this forum, through your YouTube video... if I'm remembering correctly.. Thank you for the links, too, I'll go to them after I'm done making dinner. This is all a little overwhelming, I had no IDEA that finding an orphan was so complicated, nor did I know how absolutely prejudiced people are against them. I've always found them adorable, I've only found out in the past few days that many people view them as pests, on par with sewer rats and cockroaches. It makes me sad and angry, too.

Thanks again
Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Franklin County is a LEGAL county. So, they SHOULD take the baby in and care for it and release it. Should is the key word though. I don't know that that is what they will actually do. Lisa Fosco is the name listed under the Ohio Wildlife Center and I am not a huge fan of hers. She has taught a few classes and she has a big attitude and not a lot of knowledge from what I have gathered in her classes.

The law in Ohio on coons in the legal counties is that they must be released within I think 10 miles (could be wrong on the miles) or the same township as they were found. So, that may be there issue with a single coon. My guess is they are getting more calls than they can handle on coons and so they have decided to only take in litters of coon babies that can be raised together and released where they came from. Your single coon would have to go with another coon and then be split back up for release back where it came from, which is a lot more work on the rehabber and harder on the coons.

My guess is that if you take her in, they will euthanize. That is just my gut feeling.

I would suggesst calling Nonda Surratt in Licking County, which is near you. She may or may not be able to take the coon, but she can give you straight up answers on what is going on with her. She is an excellent rehabber and very straight up with people. I have taken one of her classes on bunnies and I learned soooooooooooooooooo much. She is very experienced but doesn't have a know-it-all attitude. Her phone number is (740) 928-8331. That is for Cedar Hill Wildlife Care, her name is the name on the permit, but it could be a bigger center and you may not get her when you call, I am not sure.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Administrator

That all sounds very complicated but logical. Thanks for the good info!