Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 AM

Default Orphaned Kitten, Dying I think

You probably recognize my screen name from last week with the baby raccoon.. We were given 2 orphaned kittens the day before we found a rehabber for the raccoon. The emergency is this: they are 4 days old and one of them hasn't gone poop at all. The other goes every day, at least. The one who is constipateds' abdomen appears quite swollen (although I've no experience with newborn kittens, just comparing her to the other).
Miss Dollitle, could you come to the rescue again? I will take her to the vet if she survives the day, tomorrow it will be open, but right now nothing is open. (although I am going to check further for emergency vets). Neither one are eating much at all, maybe 3ml's at a time, including what drips out of their mouths. I can't believe the coincidence that we would go from never having an orphaned animal to becoming full-time orphan raisers. I don't think I'm going to be able to save these babies, though, they are just too tiny, I'm too afraid of hurting them.. wish I could just pass them to someone else, as selfish as that sounds, but no one I know would take them.
Thanks..
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Orphaned Kitten, Dying I think

You got the vibes, I tell ya! lol

Do you know if the kittens got to suckle off the mother at least once? That would make all the difference. If they haven't, they didn't get the colostrum which is what kinda jump-starts their immune system.

Don't worry about the pooping...just about every kitten I get starts to poop on the 3rd or 4th day. As long as they pee ok, I wouldn't worry about it yet.

As to the feeding...picture momma cat. She's with these babies 24/7 and they are always suckling the first week. So they are not used to drink a lot at once. Kittens at that age I try to feed every 2 hours during the day and at least twice at night.

Are they dehydrated? Can you tell? Do you know how to do the tent test with the skin?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Sorry to hear your little kitten isn't doing well. Are these babies you found that were strays or are they ones that are little ones of a cat you have that the mom is rejecting? Are you feeding KMR?

Miss. Doolittle is in Texas so she probably can't help . I am the rehabber in Ohio and I have never raised a kitten before. I currently have 33 babies too, so I really don't have any time. I do know how to tube feed though, so if the babies get really weak and you think they need a boost, I could tube them for you if you are willing to bring them over (I think I am a couple hours from you, in Lake county (northeast Ohio). I have 2 dogs and a cat with feline leukemia though, and really can't take on anymore pets. I am actually looking for a home for the cat with feline leukemia. You wouldn't happen to be interested would you? He seems healthy but can't be around other cats because he could spread it to them. He was a stray, but is the nicest cat in the world and he is already neutered. I have had him for a year and a half and he is a very happy healthy cat, so I think he is just a carrier of feline leukemia.

I may be willing to trade you the cat for the 2 kittens, provided you would also take the kittens back (if they make it) once weaned to find them homes. Oh, and Rumble (that is the name of my cat with feline leukemia) comes with an automatic litter box and his toys . I just want to find a good home for him.

I will have to see how all the feedings go today, though, because tomorrow it is back to work and I have 9 eyes just opened tiny little opossums, 3 eyes just opened grey squirrels, 4 flying squirrels that are older but 2 are still on milk, 5 bunnies that just went off milk in the rabbit room cages, 7 older rabbits in the outside cage off milk and will go free Tuesday (it is supossed to rain the next 2 days ), and 4 older grey squirrels in the other outside cage. Oh, and a song sparrow fledgling. So, I am swamped, but would REALLY REALLY like to find Rumble a home, so I may be willing to take on more babies if you could help me out with taking him in. Even if you take him in and then find him a home with someone that doesn't have cats, that would be fine (good luck finding someone though, everyone that likes cats seems to already have one ). I wouldn't want him to end up at the pound or humane society or anything like that though.

Sorry to ramble.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Oh, can you post a picture or video of the kittens. Maybe if we see them, we can tell what is wrong and what you should do.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
You got the vibes, I tell ya! lol

Do you know if the kittens got to suckle off the mother at least once? That would make all the difference. If they haven't, they didn't get the colostrum which is what kinda jump-starts their immune system.

Don't worry about the pooping...just about every kitten I get starts to poop on the 3rd or 4th day. As long as they pee ok, I wouldn't worry about it yet.

As to the feeding...picture momma cat. She's with these babies 24/7 and they are always suckling the first week. So they are not used to drink a lot at once. Kittens at that age I try to feed every 2 hours during the day and at least twice at night.

Are they dehydrated? Can you tell? Do you know how to do the tent test with the skin?

No, the babies never got to suckle, in fact one was still in it's sac... the mother birthed them all at different places, over a span of 5 houses, and never looked back. They weren't cleaned or anything. The mom simply wasn't interested. I have given them to the woman who found them, there were a total of 4 found, and one of the two she was caring for died, so she had a single kitten and said that was a bad thing, they needed to be with their litter mates.

THANK GOODNESS you told me that it's not unusual to not have a poop for 3 -4 days, although the woman I gave them to was able to get her to go poop a little this morning. She is more persistent than I am, I was afraid of over-stimulating them, so would stop after 15 minutes or so.

Tent test with the skin... no... I will google it. For now I have a sick child and my oldest sons graduation party I have to deal with, so I have to let this go for a few hous this afternoon.

Thanks so much. You guys rock.
SquirrelsandMonkeys,too, I will respond to your message soon... gotta run for now, actually sort of copping out for now... I'll be back when I have regenerated
Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

That is so sweet of you to offer a trade, srabto (I tried to shorten your nick...sounds funny if you say it out loud rofl)! Yep, you sure got your hands full.

That is a sad story though. I am afraid that without colostrum, even if the kittens make it, they usually will be sickly all their lifes, because their immune system never really fully develops.

But that doesn't mean I am trying to talk you out of trying to save them, just don't feel bad if they don't make it.

The momma giving birth all over the place isn't really normal behavior either, so you have to assume that the mother had something going on with her health as well.

Overstimulating is easily done..even they get sore down there. Use a moist q-tip and gently rub the genital area for 3 minutes. If nothing comes out, nothing will that won't come later.

Tent test: take a piece of kitten skin on end of the back (that's my favorite place, not neck) between thumb and index finger and carefully lift it up a little bit so it looks like a little tent, and then let go.

If the skin pops back to it's original shape, the kitten is hydrated. If the skin stays that way or takes longer than 3 seconds to go back to normal, the kittens are dehydrated.

Pinch/lift the skin on the back of your hand to test it, so you get the feel for it.

How's the coonie doing? I didn't catch any updates in the group. Did you find somebody?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

With kittens, can't you get colostrum in a bag to give to them if they never got it? I think it is called the missing link or something and they sell it at the squirrel store.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, there is, but from experience it hasn't made a difference. It's just not the real thing. And being 4 days old already and having other liquids in the system and getting used to them, I'm not sure.

I think the point of the colostrum is to be the very first stuff that enters their little systems after birth to get everything started and protected. Once they have drank something else and have been exposed to the contaminants, it's too late. Of course I don't know that, it's just guessing cuz it makes sense. Maybe I need to read up on it to verify or correct that assumption. I just have noooo time! LOL

Even in case it would still do some good, now that the kittens are getting used to KMR, switching them again would upset the system and little balance they have established and could push them over the edge...any way it's risky.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:57 PM

She just died, as did another of her siblings that my neighbor had (died during the night), and one more is taking his final breaths right now
One left that seems to be thriving, but I don't think he'll make it either.
I'm so sad.
Thanks again, guys. Thanks for the offer of a trade, Squirrelstoo.. If I hear of someone wanting a great cat, I'll let you know. I have 3 of my own right now, and wouldn't mind getting rid of 2. A few years ago my neighbor & I were involved in a trap, neuter/spay and release of neighborhood feral cats, and I couldn't get rid of several that we trapped. Not that I don't adore cats, I just don't want that many. I'm not as much of an animal person as you guys are. I don't want to see them die, but also don't invite them in.
Unless it's a raccoon. Something happened to me with that baby raccoon. Can't tell you how much I miss her. There's just something about them, I fell in love with her the first day I met her.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM

About the raccoon.. yes, we found a rehabber for her through Ryan on the yahoo group, a wonderful woman who is a few counties from us. I'm afraid I had to fib a bit about where she was found (damn ridiculous laws & regulations *shaking fist at bureaucracy*) in order for her to agree to take the baby. She could lose her license if she doesn't follow the rules.
I MISS HER!!!!!!!!!!!
A relative of mine just called me an hour ago saying that they had found an orphaned raccoon and asking what they could do with it.
So here we go again..................... I don't know any details yet.. funny how this sort of thing just snowballs, huh?