Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Cool first Opossums of 2009

These are the first babies of the year I had a lot of trouble with them, they have been behind in there mental development since they came in. They weighed 40 grams and still had there eyes closed. There eyes didnít open till close to 50 grams I could not get them to eat on there own till around 100 grams. Not sure if they were deprived of oxygen before they got to me or if they are mentally retarded they are slow at every thing. But they do eat there gruel have not learned to drink from the water bottle yet they are defiantly more alert now. I hope they are just late bloomers . Ever heard of anything like this before?

Pam

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: first Opossums of 2009

Baby Opossums are funny that way, Ive had a few act like that. I just attributed it to the shock of their situation. Another thought I had with a few that were found in trash bin was, opossums that eat from trash bins may be ingesting toxins in the trash, cleaners and such. So maybe the babies are getting toxic reactions from the mothers milk.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 PM

Iíve had them a month or so now, when they were still in the baby carrier I had to rub there bellies to wake them up so they would eat once they realized it was me they were fine other wise they slept like the dead, many times I thought they were dead, or maybe blind and deaf. All the other animals in the room are alerted of my presence by my pigeons announcing my arrival they coo every time they see me. Every one else wakes up and knows its feeding timeÖ not those three. Now that they have moved to a larger cage they are aware of me and spot on at feeding time waiting at the bowl.

One last strange thing about them they gain weight and grow very quickly, like some kind of jumbo possums. Fastest growers I have ever seen.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

That's a good point with the toxins! I often get entire litters in where the gene pool seems to have been out of whack. Some are so deformed, that I have to put them down. I even conjoined babies once..it's not pretty.

These are Stan and Ollie, the only un-releasables I ever kept, first and last time too, because I need every space I have for the ones I can release, since I decided that this is a rehab and not a zoo.

Stan never grew and stayed a dwarf and Ollie, his brother, had 4 feet, but only 3 legs and could not climb or walk right at all. Stan escaped at the age of 7 months and Ollie passed away at the age of 9 monhts:

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

sheesh, I used Possums for shows at Disney's Animal kingdom we only got about three years out of them, they were all rehabs.
We have a severe problem with toxins here, in one lake there are two legged gators (hatched w/o legs), many five legged frogs and A-sexual gators and frogs. Pigs have been dying of strange symptoms, this is all documented by the state. One source is toxic run off from fertilized sugar cane fields.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

This is exactly why I'm doing what I'm doing. Try to fix at least a tiny little bit that humans mess up. I've done enough harm to this planet myself the first half of my life, now I'm trying to make up for it.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Stan and Ollie are so cute, I had a dwarf once it was a little female, and I named her Polly. I released her on a friendís property. Iíve had a couple dwarf squirrels one little guy I called Tony was the cutest ever I ended up taking him to the vets they x-rayed his head and found he had a permanent soft spot. He did not live very long.
My three special kids got a taste of sardines last night and I am moving them onto the mixed protean mixture tonight, they still have not mastered drinking water from a bowl or the water bottle. I am going to weigh them later today and try to figure out how old they are from their weight and the time they came in. They are still growing so fast! I am thinking if we have dwarf babies maybe these are just jumbo babies. Just a hopeful thought.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possumsrus View Post
Stan and Ollie are so cute, I had a dwarf once it was a little female, and I named her Polly. I released her on a friendís property. Iíve had a couple dwarf squirrels one little guy I called Tony was the cutest ever I ended up taking him to the vets they x-rayed his head and found he had a permanent soft spot. He did not live very long.
My three special kids got a taste of sardines last night and I am moving them onto the mixed protean mixture tonight, they still have not mastered drinking water from a bowl or the water bottle. I am going to weigh them later today and try to figure out how old they are from their weight and the time they came in. They are still growing so fast! I am thinking if we have dwarf babies maybe these are just jumbo babies. Just a hopeful thought.

I just weighed the little darlings they weigh in at 400 grams, judging from when there eyes opened they are 4 Ĺ months old, according to the chart I have they are 100 grams over were they should be at their age. and they are not chubby I have raised some cross eyed obese guys in the past I am now very careful at the amount of food I offer them. I think I am going to have a case of the largest possums ever.

They gained 100 grams in 10 days.
I will keep you all updated on the progress of the jumbo possums.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 AM

Wow! Those are some big babies! I would be interested to see how much they weigh upon release.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

They sure can grow like crazy! Once mine are ready to be put outside and are self feeding, I leave them completely alone other than putting food in and clean the place. Sometimes I don't see them for a week, and then they come out and I wonder who those possies are LOL.

Good part is, they don't know me anymore either and are scared of me and hiss at me, just the way they are supposed to .