Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Pounds/Shelters

Wow, good deal with the 2 vets! Lucky you!

I'd give a lot to have a petsmart or petco around here, but one has to drive an hour to get to one. We have local feedstores, sure, but low cost rabies shots? No.

I can buy the 8 in 1 for dogs at the feedstore though and give them all the shots myself. I have been doing this for years now and even vaccinate as many dogs as I can get my hands on, if the owner provides the 7 Dollars the vaccines cost.

However, most vets now do not accept these kind of vaccines anymore and if they accept an animal for treatment, they insist of doing the entire series of shots again, for THEIR prices. That means a 30 dollar test here, a 10 dollar test there and before you know it, you pay 200 dollars just for shots, deworming and heartworm preventions.

And if you don't do all of this, they make you feel guilty and bad for being a "bad" pet owner.

So of course people think three times before they go to a vet and have their pets spayed or neutered. Not if they have to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars before they even get to that point.

And THAT is the biggest cause of pet overpopulation around here, if you ask me.

I have tried to get the vets together to do something low cost, they just laughed at me. One said it's never going to happen, because once one goes down with the price, the others would run him out of town for ruining their businesses.

So a mobile vet that is not bound to one place would be perfect.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

I have friends in Germany who raise Boston Bull terriers and Boxers. They tell me it now costs 3000-5000 thousand for the whole pakage to have a dog. I never saw a stray there, ever.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

I never even saw a stray back in the sixties when I was a kid!

Where were you at in Germany?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
I never even saw a stray back in the sixties when I was a kid!

Where were you at in Germany?

My friends live in Glashutte, near Zweibrücken, i worked on his (Im also an aircraft mechanic)plane at Zweibrücken. I have been all over Germany though, I love Bavaria and Muchen. My fathers side comes from Metz.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Wow, good deal with the 2 vets! Lucky you!

I'd give a lot to have a petsmart or petco around here, but one has to drive an hour to get to one. We have local feedstores, sure, but low cost rabies shots? No.

I can buy the 8 in 1 for dogs at the feedstore though and give them all the shots myself. I have been doing this for years now and even vaccinate as many dogs as I can get my hands on, if the owner provides the 7 Dollars the vaccines cost.

However, most vets now do not accept these kind of vaccines anymore and if they accept an animal for treatment, they insist of doing the entire series of shots again, for THEIR prices. That means a 30 dollar test here, a 10 dollar test there and before you know it, you pay 200 dollars just for shots, deworming and heartworm preventions.

And if you don't do all of this, they make you feel guilty and bad for being a "bad" pet owner.

So of course people think three times before they go to a vet and have their pets spayed or neutered. Not if they have to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars before they even get to that point.

And THAT is the biggest cause of pet overpopulation around here, if you ask me.

I have tried to get the vets together to do something low cost, they just laughed at me. One said it's never going to happen, because once one goes down with the price, the others would run him out of town for ruining their businesses.

So a mobile vet that is not bound to one place would be perfect.

this is a big issue...I can understand boarding facilities cannot take home vaccines for the sake of others pets...because you just never know if someone is being honest, but it sucks.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:37 PM

I'm sorry, but NO.

We do NOT need more laws. We need more dollars for Animal Control. PERIOD. We need enforcement of the existing cruelty and neglect laws. If that doesn't work, sure, make more- but making more unfunded mandates doesn't help anything, and it just criminalizes GOOD breeders- and we need them too.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

We sure do need to put more effort into enforcing the current laws, but many of these laws need some serious adjustments! Most of them were made by people who have no clue about animals.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
We sure do need to put more effort into enforcing the current laws, but many of these laws need some serious adjustments! Most of them were made by people who have no clue about animals.

Excellent point, as I have personally re-written ordinances produced by ignorant councilmen. Whats needed is a person with astute intellect on animals in a legislative position. A friend of mine is actually working on this at a university, incorporating "animal law" into municipal ordinances as well as federal law. Which is not to be confused with radical animal rights organization theory. Its more of a common sense approach legislative law if that makes sense. Anyway its for the benefit of animals.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM

I believe if we were able to have more strict laws, like similar ones that Germany has, it will reduce the NEED of animal control. And I am sorry but I do not like the animal control here in AZ...everybody has their own opinions tho. And good breeders wouldnt be criminalized if they followed the law...current animal abuse and neglect laws in AZ sucks...I also cannot stand seeing all of these BYB selling dogs for hundreds and even thousands of dollars right now in this economy so I just meant I wish there were some restrictions BY LAW for this crap to be restricted because my heart is bigger than my paycheck.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Heart is bigger than the paycheck!! I have to keep that phrase in mind, because it describes a lot of people, including myself!