Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Default Not drinking water

I am still having problems with my three special Opossums; they are still growing like bad weeds. But they will not drink water for me. They are eating the proper mixed protean, peters food, fruit and veggies and the occasional chicken bones. They are way past the time to move outside. They had their prophylactic Amoxicillin with Nystatin and there Levaamisole shots.

I have offered water in various formsÖ water bottle, ashtray, small bowl, large bowl. They stick there feet in it bite at the bowl, and of course they occasionally poop in the bowl but thy will not drink.

I never had opossums that would not drink water! I donít want to move them outside into the heat, I am afraid they will get dehydrated in the outside pen. Anyone have any suggestions? I desperately need the cage they are in for another batch of kids so I need to move them on now. They are around 5 months old now.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Not drinking water

Hmmm, how do you know they don't drink water? Are you watching them 24/7 ? Are they dehydrated?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-17-2009, 11:32 AM

The water bowl is usually knocked over, wet blanket.. or the bowl is still full, or has poop in it. Water bottle untouched they bite at it , but do not lick it to get the water out. Usually when I clean a cage and put fresh food and water in the first thing they do is go for the water. I do not believe they are dehydrated they are still getting moisture from the yogurt and peters food. But I want to move them outside, and I canít keep a good eye of them outside, I see them a lot now because I am feeding others in the room 4 times a day plus cleaning and laundry so I am in and out a lot. My husband calls my rehab room the black hole once I go in he never sees me.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

The black hole LOL! Mine calls it the smile room, because I always come out of it with a smile on my face no matter who grumpy I went in, hehehe.

You know, I had the same problem with opossums not drinking, or so I thought, cuz I never saw them drink nor did the water appear to be touched. But they had to be drinking, I'm just not seeing it.

The 2 adults I had only drank once and that was at night. They don't care if they have pooped into the water before, they'll drink it anyhow, just like coonies.

If they aren't dehydrated, stop worrying.

I'm using a heavy clay bowl that not even a dog can turn over..do you have something like that by any chance?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM

That is the only thing I have not tried, I will look around for a heavy bowl. As usual I am probably being an over protective mom. If I could go live in the wild with my kids and teach them every thing they need to know about life I would be a happy camper. I always worry about them after I release them. Sometimes I get to release here at my home than I get to see them occasionally at least the Morning Doves and Pigeons . I have seen a few Opossums I released late at night. But they are all off being wild. ..doing what thy are suppose to do. If I donít see them that is a good thing.
I had one young Opossum come back to me once .I had let the hutch open, and just by chance looked in and saw her there with a large cut on her back so I took her back in for a while than released her again. It was so sweet she came back home when she needed me.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Aaaw, I used to do that to myself too! Worrying after release, wondering if I did the right thing, taught them everything they need to know to survive.

Let me share with you how I got over that, maybe you find something useful in it for yourself.

I started by facing the facts.

Fact: I will never find out how they will do after release.
Fact: Torturing myself over it doesn't change that. It's a waste of energy that can be used in a more constructive way.
Fact: I'm NOT their mother, nature is. I'm just a nurse on the infant ward and have no right to any of the babies that others deliver.

I know that sounds harsh, but believe me, once it has clicked, a light goes on in your head and you hit yourself with the palm of your hand on the forehead, roll your eyes, shake your head and say "Duuh, I don't HAVE to worry anymore! It's totally useless and a waste of time. Doesn't change a thing, doesn't help the babies, doesn't help me, so why am I putting myself through this again?"

And then you'll feel that big relief, the weight that's being lifted off your shoulders. And you know what happens then, right?

You actually get to enjoy the fruits of your work and proudly release the babies back to their mother (nature) where they belong, and trust that that mother will do the right thing. If you believe in God, then they even have a Father too!

You don't seriously believe that you can make better decisions than these kind of parents, do you? If so, we have to work on your lil god complex a bit .

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened!

That's what you need to remind yourself of more often..that it is a privilege to be chosen by these parents to raise their babies, not a right to motherhood.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM

I know, itís just so hard. I have learned to shake a lot of things off. I know that even if they only get one day of freedom before something happens to themÖ that is the way it is suppose to be, I am just a helping hand along the way.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Yes, I never said it's easy, but once it clicks, it'll get easier.

Hmm, the human interpretation of "freedom" at work .

Got another fact here: the animal doesn't think that way, it does not rationalize like we do. Animals do not feel sorry for themselves, you, or other people. Nor do they ever feel grateful. All those are human emotions we like to put on an animal and then drive ourselves crazy with it and probably even apply human psychology too and believe we did the animal justice.

A lot of bubbles burst when I finally realized it, but it gave me a much better understanding of the real animals.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Yes, I never said it's easy, but once it clicks, it'll get easier.

Hmm, the human interpretation of "freedom" at work .

Got another fact here: the animal doesn't think that way, it does not rationalize like we do. Animals do not feel sorry for themselves, you, or other people. Nor do they ever feel grateful. All those are human emotions we like to put on an animal and then drive ourselves crazy with it and probably even apply human psychology too and believe we did the animal justice.

A lot of bubbles burst when I finally realized it, but it gave me a much better understanding of the real animals.

Definition of Anthropomorphism, exactly, I love reading your post MissDolittle
Old 06-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Seriously? There is a word for that? Wow! And here I thought I'd discovered that all on my own, hahhaha! Now I'd wish it'd be an easier word, so I can use a lot and people would know what I mean too! Would save me a lot of convincing.