Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Dog Fight!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
I think the key to every misunderstanding here is the difference between yelling to get their attention and screaming at them driven by whatever emotion.

I'm glad we could clarify it though. It's hard to do that when you just see words and not the faces, isn't it?

Most definitely. I guess people thought I was just so freaked out that I started yelling and screaming when i was yelling HEY because thats something we use if we arent close enough to get there in time. Luckily we have used this because he broke away instantly.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 PM

sorry, i was using the word "yelling" instead of "correction" or "command"...sorry for the misunderstanding...and by no means was i trying to imply anything...that's the one thing i hate about text...words have feelings that only acual speech can deliver....speech and CAPLOCKS. anyways...sorry about that pawzaddict, you definately seem like a more than quilified trainer, let alone owner/packleader...thanks for the clarification MissDolittle.

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaff View Post
sorry, i was using the word "yelling" instead of "correction" or "command"...sorry for the misunderstanding...and by no means was i trying to imply anything...that's the one thing i hate about text...words have feelings that only acual speech can deliver....speech and CAPLOCKS. anyways...sorry about that pawzaddict, you definately seem like a more than quilified trainer, let alone owner/packleader...thanks for the clarification MissDolittle.

Oh no no please dont apologize I am the one who needs to apologize I got defensive...someone on another msg board called me a horrible person for yelling at my dog and allowing a 70 pound dog to be around a less than 7 pound chihuahua. I am by no means a qualified trainer LOL I wish. Harvick (the big boy with "issues") is only teaching ME how to handle things differently and has made me grow as an owner. I have been through advanced training classes with him, but before that I just had to be stern and demanding to get the dogs to do what I wanted...now I have to be more focused and really make my point clear. He is a handful but he is not a bad dog and it felt like other people were saying so LOL. I got defensive...quite like a mom with her child
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM

no worries...i totally understand! any dog i had before anabell was a piece of cake...no problems.....read the thread "great news" it's pretty much a week by week of the trials and tibulations we went through...and the transformation my wife and i made in not only being dog owners...but pack leaders...and those other people are wrong about the two dogs together...look at any pack ceasar has...it's not size, it's "energy" level (again for lack of a better word)

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hehehe, horrible person..what does that make me having 2 Danes (120 and 140 lbs) around a 4 lbs Chihuahua?

Reminds me, why don't you show them this movie?

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

we luuuv your vids lol
Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Cute vid!

I don't think it makes you a bad owner- but I will tell you, as a toy breed person, it DOES kind of make me cringe. It just doesn't take any kind of intent for dogs with that kind of size difference to accidentally injure the smaller dog seriously or fatally. I don't want to be a downer, but... it's just not a good idea- especially with baby puppies, where you can really set a baby up for a lifelong fear of bigger dogs (and since EVERYONE is going to be bigger, that's obviously a problem.) If you want to let them interact, put the puppies up on a sofa or something and just guard the edge carefully.

A friend of mine had to euthanize her (very, very tiny) rescue dachshund a few weeks ago after he got stepped on at a dog walk to raise money for her local shelter by a dane- dane wasn't even jumping- just walking through the crowd and came down on her dachshund's back and severed his spine. (I wouldn't have had that dog on the ground to begin with, but the point is, little guys are just SO fragile.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Sure the little ones are more fragile than the biggens. But having had big ones and small ones for decades and nothing ever happened, I can't agree.

The only one that has ever done harm to a small one, unintentionally that is, was me. By stepping on her foot and breaking it. Does that mean I can't have small dogs now either?

Accidents happen, that's all I can say.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

My Dane and Cairn rough play constantly= no harm yet lol
Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 PM

i have a big and a small...not to such a degree (50 lb adn 20lb) but still they're fine.

Closed Thread