Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Dog Fight!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogstar View Post
Cute vid!

I don't think it makes you a bad owner- but I will tell you, as a toy breed person, it DOES kind of make me cringe. It just doesn't take any kind of intent for dogs with that kind of size difference to accidentally injure the smaller dog seriously or fatally. I don't want to be a downer, but... it's just not a good idea- especially with baby puppies, where you can really set a baby up for a lifelong fear of bigger dogs (and since EVERYONE is going to be bigger, that's obviously a problem.) If you want to let them interact, put the puppies up on a sofa or something and just guard the edge carefully.

A friend of mine had to euthanize her (very, very tiny) rescue dachshund a few weeks ago after he got stepped on at a dog walk to raise money for her local shelter by a dane- dane wasn't even jumping- just walking through the crowd and came down on her dachshund's back and severed his spine. (I wouldn't have had that dog on the ground to begin with, but the point is, little guys are just SO fragile.

First off tinkerbell the chihuahua is the oldest dog...she has no fears of her brother....they had a tiff. I have to admit I really do not like your intent when you post. I never said she was a puppy and I do not need you to tell me how to let dogs interact...I have been a dog owner my entire life and have worked with animals for 9 years. We have 2 CHIHUAHUAS, A 70 POUND DOG, AND A 15 POUND DOG.... so where you get your facts I havent the slightest idea
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM

I'm really not at all invested in your opinion of me. I was asked, and I gave my opinion. The thing is that accidents ARE accidents- they're unpredictable freak occurances. I don't think, unlike many toy-breed folks, that giants and toys should never live in the same household- but I *do* think that their interactions need to be structured in a way to prevent anything but a really freak occurance. Most of the very serious ones that I see are not from giant breeds being too rough intentionally, but from stepping on tiny dogs- putting the dog on a sofa or loveseat or a step eliminates that possibility wihle still letting them play.

None of the people who I know who've had freak accidents all meant for anything to happen. All are good owners who only want the best for their pets. It's not something ANYONE lets happen intentionally! But it's heartbreaking when it does, and if my caution will make one person think twice about how their giant and toy breeds interact, I think it's worth it.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'm really not at all invested in your opinion of me. I was asked, and I gave my opinion. The thing is that accidents ARE accidents- they're unpredictable freak occurances. I don't think, unlike many toy-breed folks, that giants and toys should never live in the same household- but I *do* think that their interactions need to be structured in a way to prevent anything but a really freak occurance. Most of the very serious ones that I see are not from giant breeds being too rough intentionally, but from stepping on tiny dogs- putting the dog on a sofa or loveseat or a step eliminates that possibility wihle still letting them play.

None of the people who I know who've had freak accidents all meant for anything to happen. All are good owners who only want the best for their pets. It's not something ANYONE lets happen intentionally! But it's heartbreaking when it does, and if my caution will make one person think twice about how their giant and toy breeds interact, I think it's worth it.

Just my two cents.

seriously, because I never asked you for your opinion...its people like you who give bad info out to future and previous dog owners. I highly disagree that you have to monitor your dogs together 24/7. Sure monitoring should be done when first introducing, but I find all of your responses to be demeaning and it seems like you have your nose up in the air all the time I don't like it please do not respond to any of my future posts because I am extremely upset that you have such nerve. I will make sure to put in my future posts "Dogstar do not give your advice I don't want it". My chihuahuas are happy and safe and shit happens. I hope nobody listens to your advice on not to have a large and small dog together because I think it works out just fine.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM

I don't think I've said anywhere that 24/7 monitoring is the way things ought to be. If so, please point it out, because I did NOT mean that.

But during play or high arousal activities like at feeding times, during greetings, etc? taking a little care and doing a little training- by teaching your small dog to get to a spot where she or he is safe from flying feet- can save your smaller dog from serious injury or death. I don't think them living in a house together is the problem at all.

PS: I think there's an ignore function. You're welcome to use it. I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt, but I truly believe that this is NOT a safe thing to do.

Last edited by Dogstar : 06-25-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Trying to be more tactful.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I don't think I've said anywhere that 24/7 monitoring is the way things ought to be. If so, please point it out, because I did NOT mean that.

But during play or high arousal activities like at feeding times, during greetings, etc? taking a little care and doing a little training- by teaching your small dog to get to a spot where she or he is safe from flying feet- can save your smaller dog from serious injury or death. I don't think them living in a house together is the problem at all.

PS: I think there's an ignore function. You're welcome to use it. I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt, but I truly believe that this is NOT a safe thing to do.

wow again jumping to conclusions...IT WAS NOT FEEDING TIME.... see you put in your 2 cents but they arent even useful because you jump to conclusions instead of actually reading the post.... and you say its not a problem to have them live together but then "this is not a safe thing to do" you need to stop assuming I do not train my dogs...you are rude...I have trained all four of my dogs and continue to do so....get over yourself and learn to read a post and understand it... Do not post in regards to me ever again if you are going to insult me on how I TRAIN AND RAISE my dogs... Ridiculous...
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 PM

and also I wish you would stop assuming you know what happened in my home...you were not here....you did not see where everybody was and where the fight happened and what happened after and before etc etc...please STOP assuming. Yes I am pissed because you are making horrific assumptions...
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 PM

I *did* say "feeding times, during greetings, etc"- high energy times when dogs are aroused (excited) and paying more attention to you than to their surroundings or packmates.

I do not believe I am being rude. It is NOT my intent. I genuinely do not think that on the floor is a safe spot to be for small dogs during high energy times (as mentioned above) and that teaching a place behavior to get the smaller dogs out of the way is a very good way to manage it- there are several others, but that is the safest one IMO if you want to have the dogs all loose together. This constant mischaracterization of me as just being bitchy or rude is making me incredibly frustrated. I'm done with this thread, and you're on ignore.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I *did* say "feeding times, during greetings, etc"- high energy times when dogs are aroused (excited) and paying more attention to you than to their surroundings or packmates.

I do not believe I am being rude. It is NOT my intent. I genuinely do not think that on the floor is a safe spot to be for small dogs during high energy times (as mentioned above) and that teaching a place behavior to get the smaller dogs out of the way is a very good way to manage it- there are several others, but that is the safest one IMO if you want to have the dogs all loose together. This constant mischaracterization of me as just being bitchy or rude is making me incredibly frustrated. I'm done with this thread, and you're on ignore.

I am deleting my last post because it was out of pure frustration... I want you to understand this thread was not "how do I train my dogs and whats your opinion" it was in regards to my dogs getting into it and my little girls reactions immediately after the fight. I don't need advice on how to train my dogs, I got that part covered. I also just don't need your advice on how big dogs and small dogs should be monitored and handled when living together, again I got that part under control. If you cannot stick to the topic and want to post your opinions go post your own threat please and leave this one to what happened and is the reaction normal. I feel in every post toward me you have tried telling me that every step I have taken before and after does not meet your standards, and frankly I dont feel the slightest need to.... I have my dogs under control, I learned from what has happened and I will deal with it as I please. You also did not respond in regards to what I posted in the sense that it was 1. nothing was different this time than any other time, 2. my dog is not a puppy, 3. she is not the only small dog in the house. So if you have not yet ignored me please remove all your posts from my thread.
the joy in the heart.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Aiaiaiai, I better close this thread!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Closed Thread