Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM

Default Rabies vs loss of fear of humans

I went camping this weekend for the 4th up in the White Mountains, AZ and last night we were sitting around the campfire, 5 of us, talking and laughing and drinking and had 2 lanterns around us as well and no joke a raccoon suddenly appeared within 10 feet of us....It was weird because of all the light and noise that was going on at the time. It didn't run when we became aware of it and hollered. It just somewhat hunched up and looked a bit scared and confused.....it took one of the guys throwing an empty soda can at it to get it to run off...within 15 mins it came back, a bit further away, but did the same thing when the guys approached it....does this sound more like rabies than a loss of fear? or even just another illness? my aunt who lives up in the mountains says that is not normal and something had to be wrong with it.
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Rabies vs loss of fear of humans

Its very common for raccoons to "hang out" for the possibility of food from humans, especially camping. Plenty of people feed raccoons any chance they get, then people in your situation get the trouble from them. They are opportunists getting food when and where they can. The raccoons here will be out at 7am, noon or 3 depending on what food is around. Being out in the day time does not necessarily mean they have rabies, like stated its very common.

If your raccoon had full blown rabies he would not have gone away ,he would have most likely attacked. Read Missdoolittle"s article if you haven't already ,its very good. Sounds like normal raccoon behavior especially at night, but then I wasn't there, wish I was though lol

The beaches here are full of raccoons raiding beach bags in broad daylight.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Its very common for raccoons to "hang out" for the possibility of food from humans, especially camping. Plenty of people feed raccoons any chance they get, then people in your situation get the trouble from them. They are opportunists getting food when and where they can. The raccoons here will be out at 7am, noon or 3 depending on what food is around. Being out in the day time does not necessarily mean they have rabies, like stated its very common.

If your raccoon had full blown rabies he would not have gone away ,he would have most likely attacked. Read Missdoolittle"s article if you haven't already ,its very good. Sounds like normal raccoon behavior but then I wasn't there, wish I was though lol

The beaches here are full of raccoons raiding beach bags in broad daylight.

My aunt was scared when we told her the story this morning, she has never heard of a raccoon coming that close to people being very loud. I looked up rabies in raccoons and what I read said it is common for the calm disposition of rabies in raccoons and they seem confused and dazed, which this one did. He did not look like the raccoons I am use to seeing it was really creepy and sad. He looked disoriented hopefully it wasn't rabies...
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
My aunt was scared when we told her the story this morning, she has never heard of a raccoon coming that close to people being very loud. I looked up rabies in raccoons and what I read said it is common for the calm disposition of rabies in raccoons and they seem confused and dazed, which this one did. He did not look like the raccoons I am use to seeing it was really creepy and sad. He looked disoriented hopefully it wasn't rabies...

Could have been I reckon, sounds scary
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Could have been I reckon, sounds scary

It was very sad...who knows if he was just old and ill...it was a HUGE one too. I used to live up in Heber/Overguard in the white mountains and there were raccoons that would freeze then run away when you came up on them....never seen such a disoriented one. I hope it was not a poison or anything
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was very sad...who knows if he was just old and ill...it was a HUGE one too. I used to live up in Heber/Overguard in the white mountains and there were raccoons that would freeze then run away when you came up on them....never seen such a disoriented one. I hope it was not a poison or anything

thats what people do here all the time, I had a lady ask me how to poison armadillos or could she pure gas down the hole.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
thats what people do here all the time, I had a lady ask me how to poison armadillos or could she pure gas down the hole.

Its heartless. I am not one against hunting I have to be honest because it is a helpful way to control population but I do not agree with just shooting something and leaving it, poisoning it, purposely injuring it for the heck of it, etc etc. Unfortunately uneducated people are the ones who do things in the most horrific ways. I do not know much about armadillos..what damage do these animals cause to make people want to poison them?
the joy in the heart.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Its heartless. I am not one against hunting I have to be honest because it is a helpful way to control population but I do not agree with just shooting something and leaving it, poisoning it, purposely injuring it for the heck of it, etc etc. Unfortunately uneducated people are the ones who do things in the most horrific ways. I do not know much about armadillos..what damage do these animals cause to make people want to poison them?

Me too, I eat meat but I am respectful of the animal.

The only thing armadillos do is dig little dibbits in lawns looking for food. And for some people a perfect lawn in their goal in life. The lady that called me was very wealthy and VERY scary when I talked to her lol. She reminded me of Cruela Deville=exactly. Ive seen THE most horrific things that people have done to animals, it really makes me embarrassed to be a human.

Also we have Gopher tortoises here and they are protected. They are very cool turtles and have very little fear. They have one weed in particular they love to eat. They are always on a mission to find it, they are so funny because they will walk right over your feet as if saying "pardon me ,pardon me, looking for food looking for food". But most horse people hate them because horses will fall in their holes and hurt or break thier legs. I know so many idiots that kill as many as they see.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Oh man...I have a few things to say, let me start with the last posts first.

I'm not even going to comment on the gas pouring to get rid of armadillos bit, ya'll know me good enough by now that to guess what I'd say.

Now, "'hunting in order to control population". If there indeed still is an overpopulation of any kind, then it is because we are taking their habitat away.

So because man takes the land away from the animals it's ok to shoot them because there is an overpopulation? My answer to that is NO. That reason or excuse does not fly with me anymore.

I have not not met ONE hunter that kills in order to eat or "help the overpopulation". They all do/did it because they are having FUN.

As to the coon...they only become nocturnal at the age of about 1 year old. Until then they are outside during the day, mostly with mom around too.

There's one perfectly normal reason to see adult coons outside during the day.

How many coons have you seen up close to determine if he was confused or maybe just raised by a person and wanted food? Which could be another reason why appeared tame.

If it was rabies, it had to be in the beginning stages of infecting the brain, because a thrown soda can would not have scared it off.

Yes, poison is another possibility. Lots of people put anti-freeze out to "get rid of unwanted pests".

Of course it could have been rabies. Distemper shows almost the exact same symptoms too. Here a raccoon can pretty much only get rabies when bitten by a skunk.

In any case, it was a good move to chase the animal off and not give in and encourage it stay by throwing food at it. It's never wrong to be cautious!

Just for the record, please read that rabies article Bear pointed out (thanks!) here, since you and obviously your aunt still believe in some of the most common misconceptions:

http://rainbowwildlife.com/news/rabies-article.html

and here is a shorter and a bit simpler version:

http://rainbowwildlife.com/news/shor...s-article.html

I see that I too didn't go into the "seeing a coon at daylight spells rabies" myth, grmpf. Next time!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Now, "'hunting in order to control population". If there indeed still is an overpopulation of any kind, then it is because we are taking their habitat away.

So because man takes the land away from the animals it's ok to shoot them because there is an overpopulation? My answer to that is NO. That reason or excuse does not fly with me anymore.

I have not not met ONE hunter that kills in order to eat or "help the overpopulation". They all do/did it because they are having FUN.

I dont hunt anymore I stopped at 18-19, the reason I hunted was because thats what men do ...right!?! lol. Well Im man enough to admit I dont NEED to kill. However if I needed to survive , then of course I would.

Part of my job in the winter is to work the hunting check in stations, I check for licenses and such. Some of the guys are DIRT poor and I know they are getting meat to supply them till next season.

But, ALLOT are kinda scary and are serial killer material imo. They love to kill...anything, just kill , some will not even keep the kills. Allot are very wealthy or at least well to do and have the latest greatest equipment and they are fat.

They bait the deer to come to them being the real sportsman they are.

Deer are overpopulated, yes we keep mowing down all the land...but. Another reason is...what was the biggest predator of deer?....come on...wait for it...wait for it.....mountain lion, then the wolf.

So what did they do, they had cattle drives, sheep herds, livestock, easy cougar food. So they killed them and almost all of them. In many areas deer have little or no predators to keep them in check.

Now we CWD (chronic wasting disease) killing deer