Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself This is a good place to tell a bit about yourself.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Hello from Katherine

Hello All
Great site and forum, Birgit! Thank you

My name is Katherine. I am in the process of (again) moving back to FL from CO. My childhood dream was to be a horse trainer, which I did for nearly 30 years. I walked away from it all in 2003.

Zorra is the name of a raccoon who was incredibly special and who changed my life forever. She came into my life in 2003, and was cruelly taken away in 2008 by the state of CO. This resulted in accelerating my passion to fight for this maligned species, and for renewing appreciation of all urban wildlife.

I am no longer actively doing wildlife/raccoon rehab. I found it is very hard to be licensed by a state to do something that needs fighting them about the issues involved in doing it! We need people - Society! - to stand up to our states and demand they encourage and support rehab. Not just allow it to exist because it has to.

Ok, sorry. My soapbox was showing, huh?! Glad to be here, hope to make new friends and look forward to it
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hello from Katherine

Welcome to the forum Zorra, glad your here.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Oh, and I have two books close to publishing. One is SunChaser - For the love of a horse...and a raccoon. The other is a Children's book called Heavenly Animals being professionally illustrated right now.
My next project, and reason for mentioning this, is a collection of short stories submitted from others about wild animals that changed their life. The title at this time is TBD... but if YOU have such a story, please join in! I will help anyone in the writing, and will either protect their anonymity, or give them full PR.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Humm sounds interesting, I may have some stories for ya. I have a childrens book series as well ready to print.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks, Bear! And don't take what I said about "states" lack of caring personally! I should clarify that there are still officers who do care about wildlife out there, and I believe you are certainly one of them.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorra View Post
Thanks, Bear! And don't take what I said about "states" lack of caring personally! I should clarify that there are still officers who do care about wildlife out there, and I believe you are certainly one of them.

lol, I will be the first to tell you this.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Cool! What are your books about? And who is publishing? One of mine is already contracted with AuthorHouse, but haven't decided who to go with for the other ones.
Be sure to keep me posted on them, and I will post them on my site also!
And DEFINATELY want your stories included!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

i do not have a publisher yet, I have an author that gave me some tips so Im still working on which way to go. . I am real green when it comes to the process. They are animal adventure stories for children accompanied with a CD where I am the voice for the main character. I dont want to release too much yet, nothing against you, Im just not that up to speed on my next step if that makes sense.

Its a money thing right now as well

http://www.wildlife-education.com/
Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 AM

In fact, in my book I noted a personal thank you to the state of FL; to two individuals who were so kind in helping Zorra and me. One would think, in comparing wildlife concerns between CO and FL, that CO would be all about wildlife? Nope. There is a HUGE gap between catering to the sportsmen who fund the Division and any concern for the non-consumptive animals. For the latter there is one atrocious killing program, and none are allowed sanctuary if they were born in CO. They own, they kill it.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorra View Post
In fact, in my book I noted a personal thank you to the state of FL; to two individuals who were so kind in helping Zorra and me. One would think, in comparing wildlife concerns between CO and FL, that CO would be all about wildlife? Nope. There is a HUGE gap between catering to the sportsmen who fund the Division and any concern for the non-consumptive animals. For the latter there is one atrocious killing program, and none are allowed sanctuary if they were born in CO. They own, they kill it.

The law here now is, ALL "nusiance" ( people are the effin nusiance imo) wildlife companies HAVE to kill everything ,no more release, even on your own property. But most companies dont have a problem with that anyway when it means money.