Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself This is a good place to tell a bit about yourself.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Hello from Katherine

I believe the solution to changing this is for we folks who appreciate these animals to start sharing more of them with the public. How? Not sure. yet.
Example - In caring about wildlife I had always supported wolf petitions, etc... But it wasn't until I put my hands on one and she licked my face that they became very real to me. Even great white shark advocates have learned this! Until people dove with them (no thank you) they didn't have that conservationist change of heart.
The Health Dept screams overstated risks, the media pounds it home, clueless law-trained wildlife officers enforce it... and rehabbers support it by also not wanting the public to ever see the "cute or intelligent" side of wild animals, coz then every Joe Blow will want one, they say... this is NOT true!
Improper/illegal possession always had happened, always will. The fear-based way hasn't worked either! They key is in teaching people the WHY they don't want to possess, on a personal level, not a fear-based one. That results in creating lack of respect for these animals, ie, where we are now.
PS, I did not go out and get a wolf. NO one who knew Zorra ever got a raccoon, and I doubt any of those divers who became advocates have a pet shark now.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I take people every time I have to work up a bear and I have had people change because of it. Also , Ive been on MANY cases where a person wanted to shoot the bear on "their" property only to get a brand new perspective after I spend the time to talk to them, sometimes for 3-4 hours.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Wow, exactly what a wildlife officer should do! How awesome. My hat is off to you!

So many family and friends that moaned about the 'darn varmit coons'... met Zorra and suddenly had that "live and let live" mentality that seems to have died with our grandparents...

People just do not get that a wild animal has the same ability to feel pain and suffering (not to mention a unique personailty) AND rights to humanity, that their beloved dog or cat does. With no exposure, no knowledge due to no education and mis-stated info, they have NO connection - and thus NO regard. So sad.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:10 PM

Thru the 1980's in Colorado there was a famous raccoon named Stanleigh. With his "foster parents" they attended over 300 academic assemblies and taught wildlife appreciation - how to live in harmony with the animals. There was also a film production made called "The Dream Forest", starring Stanleigh and others, including a bear, mtn lion, deer... Not only was this shown at their assemblies, it premiered at the Denver Center for Performing Arts and was standing room ONLY! Many politico's attended. Defenders of Wildlife sent someone to come see about all this and after returning their comment was "...that one raccoon is doing more for wildlife appreciation than all the national organizations combined have done"! (I am not reading the letter, so I may be off on the exact quote at moment)
We need more Stanleighs, and more "Dream Forest" films.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

I'm living for the day we can say "remember back in the days when rehabbers didn't get paid and there were actually hunters out there hunting bears and coons (and wolves and all the others of course)???" and then laugh about it.

Only thing is...I'm probably not going to get that old lol. But I will do my best to help lay down the ground for future generations of rehabbers to walk on.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog