Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default Pinkie possums

I found two tiny pinkie possums on Sunday on my way to the wildlife center. The mom was dead in the road and I went by and then thought I better stop just to make sure there weren't babies. So I run over and there is one dead on the pavement . So, I quickly got mom off the road (no gloves , but grabbed her by the tail) and checked her pouch. There was another baby dead, it looked like he had tried to come out of the pouch and got too cold and died.

Then there were the two tiny little ones way down in there, cold, but alive and squirming. So, I scooped them up and headed for the center. They weigh in at 9 grams a piece . Probably not saveable, but the tube goes down so I am going to give it a shot. The head of the center was there and was like what are those doing in the incubator. I said they were mine and I was taking them home, and to my surprise she just said good luck with them and left it at that. She didn't even say it in a smart way. So, they warmed up there and I brought them home and now have them in the incubator.

My mom is the best and volunteered to bring them up to my work at 9:00 and 12:00 so I could feed them so they wouldn't have to go more than 3 hours at a time without eating. Well, I didn't give her very good instructions and we lost one of the babies 2 days ago. Everything went well at 9:00 and the babies were still looking great at 12:00. Then I got home from work at 2:30 and go straight down to feed them and the little girl was right on the bottom of the tank, not in the blankie or anything and the boy was up on top of the blanket cold . I got the boy tucked in real fast and grabbed the girl to get her off the heat. She was BRIGHT RED from being so hot and then when I took her out she went from being super hot to ice cold in about 30 seconds and went from bright red to grey colored. Then she started to struggle to breathe . She died while I went to pick up the pinkie squirrels. They are so incredibly fragile!

I have given my mom better instructions and the boy seems to be doing OK. It is now day 4 and he is still 9 grams, but looks OK.

The smallest one I have ever heard surviving weighed 12 grams. I am determined to give this little boy my all though and won't give up on him. I am so exhausted from feeding every 2 hours round the clock, but will do whatever it takes.

I am really really hoping that against all odds, this little guy survives. I have named him Fang . His sister was Jaws . Here are a couple pictures of them from when I first got them:

The boy

The boy again

The girl

The girl again
Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Pinkie possums

Good luck with them! I never had them this little! Holy cow!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Here are some pictures of the little guy with his sister from a few days ago:

This picture is from last night. It is Fang with a pinkie squirrel. You can see how much bigger the pinkie squirrel is than the opossum, and squirrels are MUCH smaller creatures when they are full grown than a squirrel.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sheesh, now that is tiny
Old 07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Makes me grateful I am not a rehabilitator in Australia! All their animals are marsupials, so they get super tiny babies all the time.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Right, a pinky roo is about the size of a pinky possum lol
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Fang died yesterday . I think I was feeding too often because his digestion slowed down and he got bloated and died . I was really really hoping he would beat the odds and survive. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Rest in peace little man, I will always remember you and your sister.

Those two were truly amazing little tykes. I have never seen such a tiny, yet oh so tough creature with such a deep love for a sibling as these two. When I had both of them, they were always together, they would put their paws together like they were holding hands and would cuddle. It was like they knew that all that was left of their family was the two of them and they were going to stick it out to the end.

I loved those little tykes so much and gave them my all. I just feel like it wasn't good enough and I let them down .
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

And I thought I was the only one who is guilty of self denigration. You admirably made the grand attempt, something only a hand full of people would do. You did all you could with the situation, opossum babies often die for unknown reasons let alone the situation yours were from.

Dont beat your self up anymore

Last edited by Bear : 07-17-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Administrator

What Bear said!

Sorry hun, I know how much heart and soul you put into the little ones. I lost one of my 4 to bloat too, and I didn't feed too often.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog