Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Default sulfatrim with squirrel w/ trouble

hey guys. i am new to this forum and have an important question. i have about a 6 week old squirrel. just got her friday night. my vet's vet tech gave me sulfatrim for possible pneumonia but did now know the dosage to give. (vet is out of town). does anyone know? i have not used this medicine before. squirrel weighs 118g. i know she had a couple sneezes with plenty of formula in it. combo of syringe that stinks (have already replaced) and the baby sucking SO hard due to being so hungry. i was hearing a click this morning, but haven't heard it since. she looks/acts pretty healthy, but does have a head tilt i'm worried about, too. she is fully hydrated now at least. wondering if head tilt could related to possible pneumonia? i always thought of it as something neurological. anyway, anyone know the dose i need to give? thanks SO much! brigette
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Default Re: sulfatrim with squirrel w/ trouble

Sulfatrim is my number one med.! It is great for pneumonia and wound infections and my main reason for loving it is it is safe for squirrels and bunnies, my two main rehab patients.

A 118 gram baby would get .06 ccs (that is like 2-3 drops) of sulfatrim twice a day.

The only way head tilt could be pneumonia related is if he is hanging his head to try to breathe easier because of the fluids in his lungs. That is quite common with pneumonia along with the clicking and loss of appetite. Babies with pneumonia are in general very weak and may have issues moving around just because they are weak. I guess it could appear to be head trauma, not usually though.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM

good, my .05 guess was close, then. i did take him to the vet yesterday and she thought it was head trauma as well. the appetite has certainly not been suppressed. ha! he is taking 7cc's and attacking the nipple! for the first time, i offered a few small pieces of monkey chow to him by hand, on floor, and in box. no interest yet. with me being paranoid about pneumonia now, i stated tube feeding the smaller squirrel i have. that worked much better for me than the syringes. i was getting very frustrated with these syringes. they have not flowed smoothly for me. it's like i have to really push down to get the formula flowing if they even stop for a minute and then too much goes in the mouth. have you had any trouble with this before?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

That's good news!

My starter food of choice is Honey Nut Cheerios, peeled grape halves and small pecan pieces.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Oh I forgot, I made a movie yesterday about feeding. Here are actually 2 movies, one with pinkies and one with a bit older squirrel:
http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...read.php?t=750
I added the 2nd movie yesterday.

I get the non-stick syringes, where the plunger is made of silicon instead of rubber, from the squirrel store: http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/cate...g-supplies.htm
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog