Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Default 4 cats

We lived in the country for 18 years. Always had stray cats come up and some had litters. We did not let them in these cats were mostly just cats that roamed free. So when one had a litter under our porch we just started caring and feeding them and the mom. Long story short each year we had kittens and we nursed them and got their shots when they were sick. Some stayed some left but returned on occasion Well we have 4 cats that were with us for a few years (mother had them on our porch) Anyway 1 is just not tame, 2 are very friendly and one is ok but little standoffish. We had to move into town and I called shelters too full and may put them down. Couldnt have that cause i do love the little rascals so we took them with us and they have a huge room in the basement.Well had bad fleas and i cant give them a bath as they never had one put them on advantage flea killer it helped any suggestions do they need bathing and yes they have had their shots thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 4 cats

Cats don't need bathing, they clean themselves. If you got Advantage on them, the only thing left to treat is the place where they live and sleep.

I'm using Mule Borax, a detergent booster. Sprinkle dry Borax on floors, furniture, under matrasses, sofa cushions, behind shelves and into every nook and cranny a flea can go under.

It kills the fleas, smells good and won't hurt the cats.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM

ok I will do that with the detergent. I have read about that thanks so much for your input.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Just keep in mind that it only works when it's dry. That's because the fleas like to take dust baths and bathe in the borax and the particles clog their breathing tubes and they suffocate. Once you make the borax wet, it's useless.

You also have to leave the power on the ground for a few days and repeat it every so often, ever 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
the particles clog their breathing tubes and they suffocate

I love that part. A lot.

We're dealing with a flea problems ourselves, and we were considering putting salt down everywhere. I'm guessing it would work the same way as the Borax?

It's getting better though... our parents took pity on us, being a poor young couple, and bought us a bunch of medications and a can of spray poison. We're making good progress thus far!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Aaaaw, nice parents .

I don't like to use poison really, because it only kills the hatched fleas. I don't think poison can kill eggs, not sure. The Borax is pretty affordable..2 bucks per room, if that.

I never heard of salt doing the same. I heard of putting salt on snails because it dries them out, but I found that method too cruel to use myself.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Hmm, the can says adult and pre-adult fleas, but I guess that doesn't mean eggs. Damn. Ah well, it will be worth it at least to get rid of a bunch of adults.

Putting salt on snails and slugs is just cruel.. it's like acid to them, and it burns them alive.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 PM

Okay I put down the 20 mule team left it for a couple days vacuumed it. Next day put some more down left it again just vacuumed .Treated my cats with advantage 2 weeks ago and was told to wait the 28 days before 2nd application. Problem was when i vacuumed again I saw several I mean alot of live fleas in with the borax. I will keep up with the vacuuming but is that normal? And this detergent wont hurt my cats will it?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Well not quite, I vacuum first, then I put the Borax down and take a broom and broom it deep into carpets, cracks, wherever fleas can get into..under couch cushions, mattresses etc.

Then I leave it for a week and then I vacuum again and put the stuff from the vacuum cleaner into a bag and take it outside to the trash. Don't keep it in the house!

I haven't had to do this at all this year, no fleas! I keep treating my dogs with K9 Advantix every month.

Borax has always worked for me..sometimes I had to repeat it right away and in one place I had to do this every month. But not constantly every few days.

As to the toxicity of Borax, as with everything, if consumed it's harmful, but the company told me that a dog would have to eat a big chunk of it in order to get sick and the stuff isn't really very tasty or appealing for pets to eat.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM

so I should leave the borax on the floor (which is concrete) for a few days then vacuum. I guess my question is since the infestation was so bad do I continue this until I see little or no more fleas. I did some research and read that it does take time to be rid of fleas if it was bad and it was bad. Guess I need to be patient and vigilant. I did notice that the fleas on the cats are little if none but also was told that it would take a 2nd application to diminish if it was severe. So any input you have helps me alot. do love my kitties and want the best for them