Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Default abandoned kitties

I have a friend with 4 cats of her own plus she is now taking care of 3 abandoned cats outside her home (she is worried her cats would not get along) one of the abandoned cats is due any day now and she is very concerned now that it is colder outside. Problem is no pet shelter here has room for them. She has a cage outside with bedding and food she wants to know how to care and help the pregnant one. Wants to take her upstairs but is afraid one of her cats would hurt the newborns any ideas or places in Illinois that could help in any way for the cats.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Default Re: abandoned kitties

There are few other concerns I would have...getting along would be the least.

My first concern would be health issues. Abandoned cats are usually not vaccinated, have roamed around, and had contact to god knows what. I would not mix them with my own cats (which are hopefully vaccinated) at all.

This is how all my own cats ended up with feline leukemia, so I had to learn that the hard way. And my cats were vaccinated.

The next concern would be overpopulation. It always starts with one abandoned pregnant cat. What is she gonna do with all the babies? Does she have enough money to get them all spayed, neutered and vaccinated?

About taking mom in for giving birth...she needs to be separated from the other cats...you can't introduce a stranger into an established group of cats especially when it's a protective mother or mother to be.

Keep them apart at all costs to protect all sides unless they are all vaccinated and healthy without a doubt (feline leukemia is not visible!). Even then I would keep mom and babies away from other animals until mom is ready to introduce them to the world.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-03-2009, 09:18 PM

She doesnt want to keep the cats but yet she doesnt want them to starve. So far she has fed them outside making a cage she has into a feeding unit and to keep them warm when they need it. She wants the cats to be safe yet doesnt intend to keep them inside the question is where can she find a good shelter that would take them in. Do you know of any in the Illinois area?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

I understand..but I don't know of any shelters in Illinois. Looks like she needs to do some research.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM

I too rescued an orphaned kitten. I too was concerned if the mother of the kitten I rescued had rabies because we have had a rabies's scare with our demestic cats in our county having many wild farm cats. So I call the animal shelter to ask if kitten can get rabies from it's mother. Their answer was, "no, kittens can not get rabies from their mother thru birth".
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

It's not very common, but kittens born to a rabid mother (meaning the mother has to be sick with rabies and showing symptoms, not just infected) will most likely be infected too, since there's lots of saliva involved after the kittens are born. However, the babies won't survive for very long, maybe a week if that before they will show symptoms and die.

For more information on rabies please read my published article here: http://rainbowwildlife.com/news/rabies-article.html
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM

Default Re: abandoned kitties Now OK

I don't understand why the person at the animal shelter said that QUOTE "kittens are not born with rabies even if its mother has rabies" QUOTE.
She apparentently did not say further. Well my only kitten Lucky did not show signs of rabies and is now doing very well, bouncing around and chasing my other cat, RV. She took to potty trainning very well at about 6 weeks. She will not drink water so I have to water down her KMR formula. I was told not to give her too much formula because it will make her bloated. I do put some yougart in it. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

You'll be surprised how many people, even vets, are misinformed about rabies. Lots of myths and old wife's tales out there. That's why I wrote the article to clarify things.

Looks like you are doing all the right things for your kitty. Good job!