Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Brazilian Opossum

Sorry to hear you had a scare. I lost my last tiny possie on day 5, it was so heartbreaking because I had given him my all and he seemed to be doing so good and then he bloated and died. Just watch the milk line (you will see a pink line across his belly when he is full) and you will know when he is full and hungry. He should get a milk line during the feeding and then it will go away by the next feeding.

As far as the formula, I am not sure, some of the info. seemed pretty bad for puppies, but it is probably better than what you are using. I think the fat and protein levels are the same though, so you will need to boost the fat content just slightly or he will have digestive issues. Do you have Heavy Cream or Whipping cream (it is the fat from the milk, it is a liquid like milk used in coffee I think)? If you add a tiny bit of that to the formula you mentioned, I think it will be OK.

Do you have any way of posting a picture so we can get an idea of how big your guy is? Are you sure he is as tiny as the opossums I posted pictures of before? They were only 10 grams (less than half an ounce) and only about 2 inches long with NO fur. If yours are that small they need to be fed about .5 ccs every 3 hours round the clock. If yours are licking up formula for you at all, I have a feeling they are bigger and would therefore need more formula.

Sounds like you are doing a great job, I would watch for signs of pneumonia (raspy breathing, clicking, not as active as normal) and start him on antibiotics (if you can get them) if you suspect pneumonia. Opossums get Amoxicillin, do you have access to that? If so, we can help you with dose (do you have any way of weighing your little tyke in grams?).
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 PM

Post Re: Brazilian Opossum

Quote:
Do you have Heavy Cream or Whipping cream (it is the fat from the milk, it is a liquid like milk used in coffee I think)?
I'm sure I can find some. I have access to double heavy cream in a box - it is REALLY thick. Any idea on mix amount? I make a third scoop of formula and 20ml of water right now (container calls for 1 scoop for 20ml for puppies so 1/3 scoop is the same as 1 scoop to 20+40 ml water).

I was also looking and found: http://users.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html
They recommend scalded milk and HATE formula.

The medical reasoning/research seems sound (though part of a combination of "nutballs" later in life to guarantee success) but her attitude holds the connotation that she is just bitter against your "type"? (The egg comment alone reminds me of a vegetarian or certain political-religious debate faction) It DOES seem like she releases a bit too old and criticizes release of squirrels younger than 4 months and definitely seems to have attachment issues, anthropomorphizes the animal and can't really accept nature-predator/prey dynamic - even my 9 year old kid knows the circle of life is necessary. (This "rehabber", some of her squirrels are released at 10 months because she "winter's" them inside and seems to think you are all meanies who want to "rid" yourselves of them as soon as possible)

Milk WOULD be easiest since I would pay over 25 US dollars (2 days income/2.5 months of dog food for 2 dogs) for the can of formula and I can get fresh cows milk (whole with butter cream still in it and with the butter cream skimmed off) very cheap.

I'll try to borrow a camera tomorrow and will spam you with pics as soon as I can. I will try to use a US quarter for scale if I can find one; using local currency would mean nothing to you. If I can't find it I'll use an Euro coin.

I still have to weight her but she is small (stretching her against the 1cc syringe she is 95 cc-units). she has tiny can only see if you look with closely hairs on her now.

Quote:
Opossums get Amoxicillin, do you have access to that? If so, we can help you with dose (do you have any way of weighing your little tyke in grams?).
I can easily get my hands on the pink stuff for free. The local heath office gives it out for children colds (shudder). I'm going to see if I can gets someone who weights gold to use their scale sometime this week. Where can I find the dosage chart?

Last edited by ChibiHoshi : 01-02-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Administrator

The website you posted is frowned upon by many rehabbers and so is the author of it. Do not go by that website! I don't even want to know for how many animal deaths this site is responsible for.

I also have to disagree with the heavy creme or anything cow's milk related. As long as it contains lactose it can cause the bloats, so I'm not using it.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-02-2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the warning. I had already gotten a vibe from the style of writing and you just confirmed it.

I have Amoxicillin - powder for liquid suspension - 250mg per 5 ml when reconstituted according to label. She is 5 grams, how much should I give (.5-1mg?) and is it SID or BID?

I did take a picture. She is QUICK even at her young age.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Wow, she sure is teeny tiny! Kudos for keeping her going!

As to the meds..I am not good when it comes to dosages, mathematically challenged lol. That's better left to the other members.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Post Re: Brazilian Opossum

Tehehe, People say I have a furry thumb. The only reason I'm not a Vet is I failed O-Chem twice and D-ed Biochem. I did 2.5 years with an Animal Science/Pre-Vet Major.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

No wonder!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Administrator

WOW! I am amazed that you have kept the tiny little guy alive. He is about the same size as my two were. They just had a tiny hole for a mouth, I never saw their tongue, I am amazed you have been able to hand feed the little tykes.

If you can get the meds. he would just need .01 ccs. One VERY TINY LITTLE DROP mixed in his milk once a day.

As far as formula, do NOT use anything from Clarissa's site. Scalded milk will kill your baby. He needs the formula. If money is an issue and to be honest, I am not sure what you are going to buy is the best thing for him anyways, I would recommend making a homemade formula developed on another forum I am on as a temporary formula while you wait for an order. It works well for squirrels, and opossums have the same general fat and protein needs. Here is how you make it:

1 cup goats milk- HAS TO BE GOAT it can't be cows milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

You have kept this little guy alive for 6 days on what you are feeding though, so it may not be all that bad, what is it again?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the recipe: I can easily get my hands on goats milk.

Quote:
You have kept this little guy alive for 6 days on what you are feeding though, so it may not be all that bad, what is it again?
I am feeding vanilla flavor Support Nutrison Soya Diet Multi Fiber/A Danone group product Imported from Holland. It is a human medical diet supplement for underweight or humans being tube fed. My mother was on Chem/Radiotherapy and got a few cans for free via the health care system - they are very expensive otherwise.
http://www.supportnet.com.br/produto...multifiber.htm
Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Actually, surprisingly, as long as it is already a liquid, the fat and protein levels are good on what you are using! Looks a little low in vitamins though. Do you have brewer's yeast? You could add just a pinch of that and that will bring the B vitamins up some, which should help the little guys appetite. We add brewers yeast even to the puppy formula for opossums, I think they need more B vitamin than other animals. Since he is doing well and the levels look OK on what you are using, I am not sure I would switch. A switch may cause digestive upset. It is up to you.