Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Brazilian Opossum

Yeah, I was thinking the same...why mess with something that's working? Any change in diet can backfire, so I'd do what you've been doing...a great job!

Thanks for all the input SRaBt!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

HURRAY FOR DAY NINE!

Tehehe. I have to read that now.
She transitioned over to the Pet Milk just fine; I bought it right after I posted and my mom started Miracle on it while I slept. She loves it (The vanilla was a bit off putting and she would only eat .2 ccs of food with minor bloating even at 1:3). Now she is eating better (.4 ccs of food at 1:3 every 2.5 hours and hasn't bloated at all).

The clicking is starting to go away and she never lost her energy so I guess the antibiotics are working.

I think the one thing I'm really doing that helps is touch. She lives in the bra, when it is time to feed we stroke her head, back, butt, etc to simulate the mother's tongue bath motions. It is like humans that die in incubators unless touched and rocked. I remember volunteering at a clinic that had a preemie goat that had to be held because of the same thing.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Glad she is transitioning well. Watch the bloat carefully and good thinking cutting back when she bloated! Bloat is what killed my little guy. He died on day 5 despite being in an incubator, on the right formulas, being fed every 2 hours round the clock, and being in my care (I have raised at least 30 opossums and tons of pinkie squirrels and tiny bunnies). I think my guy was too cold and the damage had already been done because I never got a good feeling that he was doing well like I usually do by day 5 with the creatures in my care. Your little one seems to be quite the fighter and you are doing great with him. I think the bra thing may be the key! Opossums actually do not spend time cuddling with their little ones and licking them like most mammals, the babies just stay in the pouch until they are old enough then they climb up onto her back. If one gets lost, the mom doesn't look for him/her like other mammals would . The attention probably is helping wake him up and get him ready to eat though.

Keep up the good work. I hope he makes it. If so, I am printing this out and taking it to the wildlife center where I volunteer. They have told me that they will not give me the tiny tiny babies that come in under 20 grams and will euthanize them because they believe it is impossible to save them. Other rehabbers have saved them, but no one has pictures or can verify exactly the size of their smallest (most rehabbers take in HUNDREDS of babies a year and all the babies get mixed and some don't make it but when you have 30-50 babies in your care at once, you can't exactly remember who is who all the time, if you know what I mean, so your little ones story will be great).

You do know if he does make it how long the road ahead is, right? They do not open their eyes until they are 2-3 months old! So you are going to be carrying the tiny little one around for quite some time. They aren't ready to go free until they are about 5 months old. If I were you, I would be loving every minute though . It is middle of winter here with about a foot of snow and absolutely no babies out there . I am anxious for spring babies already, it is going to be a long winter .
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo View Post
Opossums actually do not spend time cuddling with their little ones and licking them like most mammals, the babies just stay in the pouch until they are old enough then they climb up onto her back.
Don't mommas mess in their pouch to stimulate urination/defecation and to clean their pouch? Plus With so many siblings in there, I'm sure they aren't just touched in their genital area. I've only ever raised mice, rats, and hamsters as a teen so I was basing my assumption of those experiences and my above weirdo logic.

Quote:
Keep up the good work. I hope he makes it. If so, I am printing this out and taking it to the wildlife center where I volunteer.
Feel free. I will be glad that her story can give other's hope too.

Quote:
You do know if he does make it how long the road ahead is, right? They do not open their eyes until they are 2-3 months old! So you are going to be carrying the tiny little one around for quite some time. They aren't ready to go free until they are about 5 months old. If I were you, I would be loving every minute though . It is middle of winter here with about a foot of snow and absolutely no babies out there . I am anxious for spring babies already, it is going to be a long winter .
No real winter here (rainy season is our winter)

Is there an online chart of their life cycle? (Pinkies/fuzzies/pup/juvenile/adult)
How long before fur starts to grow prominent? To darken? I would like to figure out how old she is now too if that is possible. I know rats are pinkies for a few days only then darken, within a week fur, 10 days eyes open.

Are opossums pinkies for a long time then once they darken follow a similar time table or is everything prolonged?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Administrator

I am pretty sure that possies and other marsupials do not clean out their pouch at least not well. When you get older babies in they are often yellowish from being covered in poop (gross I know, but I guess it doesn't hurt them) and they usually will pee on their own, even at a young age.

As for an age chart, I can type it up after I get home from work, I have it in a rehab book of mine. I remember mapping it all out for my litte guy. They do not open their eyes until they are 2-3 months (can't remember which) old, and it isn't until that point that they are like most newborn animals as far as thermoregulation, etc. They start to get their fur in probably about a week before their eyes open. At that point they only weigh about 30 grams (some are as big as 60, but they are usually quite furry when their eyes open, like they just didn't open them til late or something). Here is a picture of an eyes just about to open Ohio possie(yours will look similar I imagine, just more Brazillian lol)

Another eyes just about to open picture.

A couple weeks after their eyes open (they start lapping the milk from a bowl )
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Releaseable size

Another release picture

One more cute one

About a month after opening their eyes (once you get to this stage, life is much much easier for you!)
Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Opossum development chart:

birth- 1 week: about the size of a bumblebee. Teir hind legs are not developed but they have a special claw on their front legs for climbing into the pouch. I have only ever seen one litter this tiny and they are under 1 gram and fit on a penny. There is absolutely nothing you can do for them.

2 weeks: Still tiny, almost embryonic, eyes and mouth closed. Sexes can be distinguished

3 weeks: Their hind legs and ail are becoming functional The babies make a sneezing sound when they are hungry or looking for mom.

4 weeks: They weigh about 25 grams. They are beginning to show the first signs o skin pigmentation and fur growth. They will cry aloud when upset.

5 weeks: Whiskers begin to grow around the mouth

6 weeks: The fur begins to grow on the neck and back- You can now formula feed every 3 hours

9 weeks: They should weigh about 30 grams. Their eyes and mouth are beginning to open. They start to become more active and explorative.

10 weeks. They begin to thermoregulate, but still need a heating pad (he can come out of your bra now Should start taking to a lap bowl. Give formula 4 times a day

11 weeks: They can start to wean onto bits of soft food and yogurt

12 weeks: Need to move to a larger cage and begin climbing and making the clicking possie communication noise.

13-14 weeks: They have all their teeth and should be weaned. Can thermoregulate well.

15 weeks: They start growing fast (like most baby mammals) and are ready to start spending time outdoors in a cage.

To be quite honest, I think that the beginning stages are even slower than this chart shows. So many people just euthanize the tiny ones due to lack of time, money, or success and I don't know how many people have actually kept track of their development. I had my little one for a week and he still seemed to fit the two week old description. It may have been that he had issues or they could grow up slower. This chart is a good guideline though.

I think your guy is probably 3 weeks now because he had hind legs the whole time .
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM

That is perfect. What I've been trying to find all week. THANK A BUNCH.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Your welcome, how is the little one?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Tickling up a storm. She wiggles while she sleeps.

ETA:
She is suffering a bout of bloating so I gave some gas drops. Hopefully the bloating will pass. I tried to increase her food from .4 to .5ccs (1 part formula:2.5 parts water); she greedily ate it so I though it was okay/she needed it. Guess listening to her "tummy" is NOT the best thing.

Should I continue to feed her? Go back to 1:3? I'm currently fallen back to .2 ccs hydration liquid and abstaining from formula mix until the bloating passes cause I'm so afraid her tummy will explode