Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Brazilian Opossum

She should be on 3:1 (3 parts water to one part powder) and that is the mix she should stay at. Opossums have sensitive digestive systems and need everything dilluted more than other mammals, so 3:1 is actually the right formula even if she wasn't bloated.

Is she still peeing? That is the key thing to watch. If she is peeing, you can continue feeding every 2-3 hours if she is hungry, if she is not peeing you cannot because she hasn't yet processed what she has. I would feed the reduced amount until the little (or big if she is bloated) pink line on her stomach starts going away between feedings. The pink line is her milk line and shows that she still has a full belly and is processing it.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Okay. I though you start at 3:1 and gradually go down to 2:1. The gas passed after 8 hours so she is back on her mix. (.4 ccs; 2:1) and she is doing fine.

She peed without any trouble through out the 8 hours, she felt a little better after she pooped and passed gas (5 hours in) and her tummy took 3 hours to shrink to normal. But all is well.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

That is great news. Are you using the puppy formula? I think 3:1 may be better than 2:1 for her on the puppy formula. Of course, you have had her for 12 days now, so you probably have a good feel for what she handles best.

Have you weighed her again? Just wondering if she has gained some weight. You can feel free to post pictures as often as you want as well , we love seeing the little girl (can you tell if she is a boy or a girl? she should be old enough to tell by now).

She has the perfect name, she certainly is a little Miracle.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM

She is a girl, I could tell when she arrived. I never knew they could be so distinct. Human male babies have nipples, so do dogs.

I've moved her to 2.5:1 and she seems to love it best.

I'll try to weigh her tomorrow. If she hasn't gained weight I'll probably add some cream to increase the fat in the formula. I'll probably get a pic next wed when I can borrow the camera again.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 PM

No weight update but PICS:

Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Looking good. She is just too cute!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Great job!!!!!!!! I'm very impressed!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks.

Here is a complete rundown of what I did for future reference.

As I recall, the first 4 died because I made several simple mistakes.

One: they started off being treated like hamsters/rats pinkies. We though they could huddle together in the hot day and be fine in a well padded/insulated small box. Only after 24 hours did we think of the bra. And even then they would only go at night the first day; they spent the day time on top a covered hot water bottom. It was only when we were down to two did they start 24 hours living in the bra.
Two: We over fed. One was bloated but we didn't know the difference so we kept feeding.
Three: We didn't have the knowledge to use antibiotics for the clicking.

Things we did right?

Found them immediately. the mother's body was still warm. (she had been dead about 10 minutes max)

After the first 24 hours (and constant aspiration due to syringe feeding) I think switching to q-tips for the 3 days helped a lot. It was major time consuming (10-15 minutes to feed each and some would be hungry after an hour) but helped transition them from nipple to licking. I also think it helped that we let her control her intake and not tube feeding a specific amount each feeding.

Being in the bra we know when they wiggled and could respond quickly. Be it bathroom or feed.

Hydrated with Coconut water (green not dry). It is the equivalent of lactate ringers here - It is sterile and has been administered in IV in battle situations and works orally.

Things still messing with - you will probably be shocked
I was wrong with her happy at 2.5. Now that she stopped taking the antibiotic she was seeking for another "nipple" during feeding. My instinct tells me she knows something isn't right with what she has.

Because the soy diet was sweetened (and we didn't mix the two to transition) and so is her antibiotic/gas drops and the coconut water is naturally so we had added a bit of sugar (~1/8 tsp) to the puppy formula (5ml mixed formula to 10ml water) due to her complete refusal of the puppy formula initially. Once the sugar was added she accepted the formula without any fuss. We had tried to gradually reduce the sugar but she wouldn't have any of it.

Also I was worried about the fat content as she has not gained any weight that I can tell (she is still ~ 5 grams according to my friends scale and she has a very bony spine)
Since SR&BT said heavy cream was okay (yes I know MD dislikes milk products but I've looked and a few other rehabber will use evaporated milk once in a while)
I'm trying condensed milk; hopefully this will add the needed fat and the calories/sugar she seems to seek. (Plus I remember a few years back getting scared one would cut themselves because it had gotten into the kitchen garbage and was licking an empty can - it just froze and stared at me until I left)

The puppy formula is 2.5 tsp powder to 20ml water according to direction

My Current mix is
1cc CM:3/4 tsp formula powder:21cc water) which I think is 1/6 parts CM:1 part mixed formula:2.5 parts water

She has had 4 feedings so far so we will see if this is our final stop.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Did you mean 3 or 4 by 3/4 or .75? Hopefully 3 or 4 because 21 ccs water with .75 tsp. powder would be way to dilluted.

Thoughts on the condensed milk... I know of someone who swears by it with baby cottontails, but the general consenses is that it isn't nutritionally good to add. The Heavy Whipping cream is something different and is recommended to boost fat by the vast majority of rehabbers. It can be used to boost fat and water content, to make a more nutritionally complete formula. For example, if you want your possie to be on the equivelant of 3:1 formula, but need higher fat content, you can do 1 part puppy formula powder, 2 parts water, and 1 and a half parts heavy whipping cream. This will make the overall formula 3:1 (since the heavy cream is liquid it will boost the water content) and is higher in fat than if you mixed the puppy formula with 3 parts water and 1 part powder.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

What about the lactose in the whipping cream? Everybody tells you not to use cow's milk because the animals can't handle the lactose, yet whipping cream is made exactly out of that. It so does contradict itself.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog