Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Brazilian Opossum

I have been told that the heavy cream doesn't contain lactose. It is the fat from the milk. That is why it is important to make sure it is just cream and not skim milk then cream (some heavy cream contains skim milk and is not OK).
Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I have been told the same thing but decided to do my own research before I give that to my animals. And I'm glad I did, because heavy cream DOES contain lactose. Whereas it is true that heavy cream contains less lactose than light cream, it still has it and it's not going to come near any of babies.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Did you mean 3 or 4 by 3/4 or .75? Hopefully 3 or 4 because 21 ccs water with .75 tsp. powder would be way to dilluted.
I mean .75 tsp. The can says 1 scoop (which is 2.5 tsp) to 20cc is full strength for puppies up to 10 days old.
aka
2.5 tsp/20ml = 1 part but you have to ADD 20+20+20 = 60ml of water to equal 3 parts water (or 20+20+10=50 ml to equal 2.5 parts water) for a total of 80/70ml water (the water part plus the original formula part)
I calculated 5ml formula = 1 part instead and 15ml = 3 parts water
Aka a quarter of the original formula across the board
2.5/4=.624 tsp
I can't measure that accurately so I then did:
2.5/20 = .5tsp to 4ml of water = 1 part formula
Same with .75 tsp to 6 tsp water = 1 part formula

.5 tsp formula plus 4 ml water plus 2.5 times 4 = 14 ml water required to get 2.5:1 dilution.
Same with .75 tsp formula plus 6 ml water plus 2.5 times 6 = 21 ml
Add 1 ml of Condensed Milk to sweeten rises the dilution to 2.66 parts water to 1 part formula which is still under the 3:1

She seems happy with it.

I have not noticed any weird bowel movements; it is not runny. It is a little thicker than toothpaste. Since she was on antibiotics until three days ago it is still slightly green but it is gradually changing so I am not worried.

I was thinking of moving to the over 10 day old concentration of 1 scoop to 15ml of water after her eyes open. (Puppies open their eyes at around 8-10 days and some can also self-regulate their body heat)
At this concentration:
1 tsp powder to 21ml liquid = 1:2.5
1 tsp powder to 18ml liquid = 1:2
1 tsp powder to 24ml liquid = 1:3

For any lurkers reading this: ONLY use these final calculations yourself IF the package reads 1 scoop to 20ml or water = formula AND 1 scoop = 2.5 tsp. I'll be happy to create a chart for you, just PM me with your package instructions
Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

The easiest way I have found to measure the amounts and avoid the confusing conversions (not sure if your conversions were right or not, didn't really figure it out) is to use 2 of the same size scoops (I buy tons of formula so I have tons of the extra scoops that come with it but you could use two of the same measuring spoons, like two half teaspoons) and then use one to measure out the powder and keep it in the container dry and use the other each time to measure out the water and let it just be for wet stuff. Then you don't have to do any math, just do one scoop powder and 3 scoop fulls of water, or 2 scoops water plus heavy cream.

As far as the heavy cream debate.... I have used it on squirrels and possies with no issues and have heard it is OK for bunnies, although I am leary about using it on them. The squirrels and possies don't tend to be lactose intolerant. Even the milk replacers contain lactose (some bunnies will get white poop because they aren't digesting the formula because of the lactose and have issues gaining weight until they get on regular food then they catch back up). The problem with feeding cow's milk is that it is too low in protein and fat. Same with goats milk even though it is low lactose or lactose free (can't remember, but know it is lower than cow's milk) you creature will have developmental issues if fed just goat's milk. Lactose is just a sugar. I am pretty sure yogurt has low levels of lactose as well and it is one of possums favorite foods and I haven't ever had any have any issues from it.

I would go with what works best for your little one. You seem to be very attentive to her digestion and I am sure you will be able to tell what is working and what she is having issues with. Just keep in mind that you want to have as few changes in formula as you can because each change is a new thing that could disrupt her digestive system.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Now see, there's a lot of info I didn't know! Thanks! I have to re-evaluate everything now lol!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Isn't 1 part formula the mixed formula? or just the powder?
I thought is was volume of mixed formula and not dry since each manufacture has different concentrations
Each brand has a particular scoop/water combo. One scoop of water for one scoop of powder sometimes can be TOO concentrated. Even if one scoop of water + one scoop of Formula = normal concentration, 1 scoop of powder to 2 scoops of water and one scoop of cream is 1: 1: 1. (one scoop of water must be subtracted to take into account the water in the initial formula part)

My package says 1 scoop of powder + 20ml of water = normal/undiluted concentration formula for a puppy 10 days or younger.
1 scoop to 15 ml of water for older than 10 days (This would be 1 scoop of powder to one large scoop of water - allowing the water tension to create a dome/bubble)

What does your package say? How many tsp's are in the scoop?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator

The ratios to use are powder to water, not mixed formula to water. So you would start your little one off on 4:1 (4 parts water to one part powder) then you move to 3:1 after they have adjusted to digesting the formula. Then for other mammals you go to 2:1 (2 parts water (ex. 10 cc) to 1 part powder (in this example 1 tsp)), but with possies, we stay at 3:1 because they need things dilluted. It sounds to me like your little one is getting formula that is too dilluted.

Our scoops come with two ends with two different sized scoops. The big end is 1 tbsp. (15 ml) and the small end is 1 tsp. (5 ml).

If I were you making the formula for the little possie, I would mix it as follows:

I would use 1 teaspoon as my measurer since you just have one little tyke. So, I would have two teaspoon measurers, one at the sink for the wet stuff and one in the container of powder for the dry measure.

I would add 1 tsp. of the powder, 2 tsp. water, then 1 and a half (I just approximate the half) tsp. heavy cream.

You can keep this mixture in the fridge for up to 24 hours and it keeps just fine. Then at feeding time, microwave (or boil water and put the formula cup for the feeding floating in the hot water to warm it) what you need for the feeding. Do NOT microwave or heat formula and then put it in the fridge to use later though, you can only heat it once and toss what isn't used. So, keep the little container with all the formula for the day in the fridge and poor out just a tiny bit for the feeding into another container and keep the rest in the fridge.

If you have to choose on formula, I would go on the more dilluted side instead of more concentrated with opossums. The downside is not as good of weight gain, but the positive side is that it is easier to digest and they have less bloat.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 AM

I thought formula part was calculated in liquid form because not all formula's are universal. I've seen other formulas that are more concentrated (1 tsp for 10 ml of water is to feed puppies from this other brand that would mean a proportion ratio of 1:2 is NOT diluted but normal concentration). I can't see how you can across the board calculate powder to water volume

(Like comparing Children's Tylenol and infant drops - Giving a 10 year old 10 ml of infant drops will kill them and giving one dropper of the child's meds won't do much to an infant as the concentration are not across the board - you would give a 10 year old child only 3.2ml of infant drops and would have to give a newborn 1.25ml of Children's Tylenol to be effective)

Anyways:
So in 1:3 the goal is a 33% solution?

In my case 1:1 is is 133% super saturated solution and 1:3 is 45% solution, 1:2 would mean 66%)

On a side note; Though there was no bloating, I did find that the condensed milk was making her tired and dehydrated so I've gone back to sugar.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Administrator

I am not sure about the milk replacers you have there, but ours in the states all (at least the ones I have seen) have the directions to mix 2 parts water to 1 part powder for the end mixture. No matter what powder you use, the dillutions are the same if you mix the same. Only difference would be the density of the powder, which should be very close between all the powder formulas. Here we have Multi-milk, esbilac, zoologic formulas, KMR, and Fox Valley that all have the directions to mix 2 parts water to 1 part powder.

I know what you mean about the meds. that can be very dangerous, but that is because of the strength of the med. inside. With formula, all directions should say to mix to the same consistency, so you would think all should have the same concentration of nutrients.

I think it is a good idea to take out the condensed milk. If you have heavy cream there, I would try that, but that is the only milk product I would recommend.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo View Post
I am not sure about the milk replacers you have there, but ours in the states all (at least the ones I have seen) have the directions to mix 2 parts water to 1 part powder for the end mixture. No matter what powder you use, the dillutions are the same if you mix the same. Only difference would be the density of the powder, which should be very close between all the powder formulas. Here we have Multi-milk, esbilac, zoologic formulas, KMR, and Fox Valley that all have the directions to mix 2 parts water to 1 part powder.

What does the instructions say? Does the can gives 2 parts water to 1 part powder to feed a puppy or does the can give those instructions to feed wildlife?
Are we suppose to feed full strength undiluted formula? 100%?
By maintaining the ration given on the can for puppies you are keeping the concentration and not diluting it.
I thought squirrels, bunnies and opossums need to dilute the puppy mix because it is too strong as is.

Here the powder comes with a scooper that has tiny holes at the bottom (makes it easier to dump as the holes allows air to enter - without the holes you would have air pressure to hold the powder into the cup when flipped and could make a mess banging it out)

They also give instructions for two concentrations one for puppies 10 days old and under and one for over 10 days. There is no across the board full strength even within the puppies.

Oh well, I'm working my way to a 50% diluted solution. 1:2 dilution ratio not proportion ration instead of the 1:2.5.