Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Brazilian Opossum

Here is the directions for esbilac Directions for Mixing EsbilacŪ Powder

Gently stir or shake 1 part powdered Esbilac into 2 parts warm water (a part may be a teaspoon, tablespoon or cup). Do not mix more Esbilac than can be consumed in 24 hours. Do not use a blender. Reconstituted Esbilac should be kept refrigerated. One 12 oz. (340g) can of powder makes approximately 60 oz. (1800mL) of liquid mixed 1:2. One 28 oz. (793g) can of powder makes approximately 140 oz. (4200mL) of liquid mixed 1:2.

The Zoologic which is for wildlife recommends weighing the formula and using for example 25 grams powder and 75 grams of water to make 3:1 formula.

Pretty much all say to use the same measure and mix 1 part powder to 2 parts water for maximum strength, which should be used by all animals except possies who get 3:1.

The can doesn't actually say for wildlife, except the Fox Valley which is made specifically for certain willdife, it just gives how to mix it.

Here we have conferences where rehabbers get together and discuss what they have found that works and what they have found that doesn't and people teach classes on certain species or topics (like parasites or milk replacers). So, there isn't info. for wildlife specifically on the can, but through experimentation, rehabbers have found what works over the years.

The holes in the scoops is a good idea (other than my system wouldn't work because it wouldn't hold water) because ours are solid scoops and sometimes the powder does get stuck in it and you have to hit it on the side of the container and sometimes it makes a mess.

How is little possie today, looking any bigger?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Okay so possies are suppose to be at 66%. I will keep increasing slowly.

Miracle is still around. She is not much bigger (maybe 1/2 centimeter longer?) but her ears have developed further. They are no longer stuck to her head and you can see the ear canal forming/opening up.

Will try to get pics tomorrow
Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator

It must be so cool watching her grow and develop. I remember my first pinkie squirrel I had notes all over the place on when her ears opened, her teeth came in, her eyes opened, she got fur, all that stuff . She is probably just now to the point in development where most animals are born, maybe not even quite there yet.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 AM

I DO think she is advancing a bit quicker than nature intended but probably most rehab babies do. Something about nature pushing faster those that need it most.

Her mouth is getting wider but instead of going from
|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
.\------/
-.\--.-/
--.\.-/

to

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
.\------/
-.\--.-/

She has on one side a "hole" opening out of "order" (front to back)
:

|-------|
|-------|
--------|
.\------/
-.\--.-/

And yes, Development charts, timelines, pictures, notes, blogs, posts, etc will be saved for posterity. Too bad I didn't write down everything with dates. I remember when I saw her whiskers for the first time and a day later my mother did but because I didn't comment outloud she tried to wipe them away thinking they were dog hairs.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Possie mouths are funny how they come unsealed. I don't think the hole on the side is unusual at all. Her little hole for a mouth will gradually open up until her mouth is unsealed and she can open her mouth like a normal mammal can when they are born.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 PM

She Passed Away.

I think either the increase in food concentration may have been too fast (I didn't notice any bloating but she stopped eating and wouldn't drink any hydration fluid) or she aspirated her meal a day ago (I've been seeing some white on her left side for a day but I thought she was just getting a bigger stomach)

Pics from yesterday
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Aaaw, I'm so sorry after all that you've been through together!!! You surely did the best you could and beyond.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-17-2010, 02:37 PM

It was my fault; She was a fighter. I just got complacent.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Administrator

You also gave her a much longer time on this planet than she would have had without you. And she was here and put into your bra for reason. You learned a lot from her and I hope you don't let any guilt feelings ruin that lesson.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Awww, I am so sorry you lost the little girl. I know your feelings all to well. I blamed myself when I lost my little guy, but know you did the best you could. You, like me would have done anything for that little guy, and you did everything you could. We know so little about these tiny little tykes and so many people aren't even willing to try to help them because of all the effort and potential heartache. There will be a day when you remember her and smile, knowing what a precious gift she was, so tiny and perfect. Like Miss. Doolittle said, you gave her much more life than she would have had if you hadn't helped. Dying out in the cold (or heat) alone would have been a horrible way to go. You gave her warmth and food and love, there is nothing more you could have done.

I was really hoping she would pull through, she was a fighter and you did everything you could for her. It just wasn't meant to be .

It was no more your fault that you lost yours to increasing the concentration (which may or may not have been the cause, sometimes they go septic since their mom's milk has the antibodies they need to fight infection and our milk replacers do not) than when I fed mine too often and he bloated and died. We blame ourselves, but we did what we thought was best based on what we knew about raising them. That is all you can do.
Rest in peace little Miracle, we will miss you.