Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Baby Squirrel Present from my cat

Hi,
I'm new here and need a little help, please.
This afternoon one of my cats brought me a baby squirrel that appears to be about 4 weeks old. The baby is on heat and has eaten a little evaporated milk about an hour ago. Baby is responsive and only slightly injured. Will be going to the pet store in the morning to obtain formula and other necessities.
Have been reading on the net about how to care for this baby. Please, if anyone has any practical advice, I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you,

Nadine
Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Present from my cat

Hi Nadine,

welcome on board and thanks for taking care of the baby! I have raised numerous squirrels and they can be quite a joy.

However, drop the evaporated milk and follow these directions please:
http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/baby-squirrel.htm

Is the injury you mentioned from the cat? A bite wound? Because this can be bad, since cats have bacteria on their teeth that could have gotten into the bloodstream and poison the squirrel slowly. Starting antibiotics ASAP would be crucial.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Thank you!
Will check your link. Didn't know what to do today and have been nursing the little thing and just had time this evening to do some research.
The baby has two very tiny scratches, one on her leg and another one her tail, the scratches look like surface wounds and are not deep or bloody. Yes, the cat bit into the squirrel but Grace is never rough with the critters she brings to me, she just brings them for praise and leaves them at my feet.
What sort of antibiotics? I have some antibiotics for the other pets in the pantry and need to check to see what I have. What about dosage?
Since the wounds are light scrapes, could I just put a little hydrogen peroxide on the skin? I'm going to the pet store in Tupelo in the morning and also have a regular vet. Just tell me what to do.
Thank you so much for getting back to me, I sincerely appreciate all the help we can get.

Nadine
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator

If the scratches are as superficial as you say, then I wouldn't worry about it.
But do keep in mind that a cat's breath/saliva has bacteria that can kill a squirrel, so keep them separated!

The link I gave you should tell you everything you need to know. Sounds like you have an animal thumb, compared to the green thumb for plants some people have, hehe.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Ok, I read the link before I found this forum and just read it again.
The cat brought the baby from out in our woods and I could hear her announcing the present long before she reached the driveway and since the woods are full of nests, I didn't know where to take the baby back.
Right after I got her I held her and massaged her while I fixed her a warm bed. She's wrapped in a woven kitchen towel that is on top of a terry towel that surrounds a water bottle filled with hot water-her fingernails won't get hung in the terry towel. The bottle is down in a stainless steel kettle which is placed on top of a heating pad set on medium and all this is inside of a plastic box on the kitchen counter. I just cleaned her little scrapes with colloidial silver (anti-microbe, viral, parasitic- 20ppm). Also rubbed her to help her poop and pee. Have a thermometer in the nest to gauge the heat.
Making some Pedialite. Please advise on antibiotic. She's very responsive and comfortable.
Should I go ahead and get her a cage at the pet store tomorrow or will she be alright in the nest she has now? Will get her the proper dietary necessities.
What else should I do?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM

All the cats live in the garage and have boxes to keep warm, they don't come inside so no worry about the cats. The dogs are friendly with the birds and understand she is a squirrel-friend, and the dogs cant reach her anyway.
You are very sweet to help me out and I REALLY appreciate your help.
I'm good with animals it's just that I don't have any experience with the squirrels and I want to do right.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator

You are doing a great job, hun! Are the eyes open yet? Can she get off the heat if gets too hot? I never use heating pads on medium, only on low, but there are so many different ones out there..and if she has the eyes open, the lowest setting with a tshirt in between and enough room to crawl off, will do.
Or make a rice buddy!

She's going to need a cage eventually to keep her safe while she grows up, the biggest one you can afford..one you can put outside too, because sunlight is very important.

For antibiotics I use infant Amox (amoxicillin). Strength is 50 mg and I give 0.2 ml twice a day.

How are you feeding her? In case you decide some kitten nursing bottle or such things, don't. Use a syringe and for those, if you can get your hands on it. They do get feisty when hungry after a while and suckle too hard and it all comes out of the nose, which gives them pneumonia..and so forth.

Let me dig up a picture of the syringes..here's an older one:

This way you have the control over how fast she can drink, and do it very very slowly. Do not overfeed! Do you have a letter scale or something to weigh her?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 PM

Her eyes are closed. She looks to be maybe 4 weeks or so old.
Already turned the heating pad down to low and yes she can scoot up and around. Just put another layer between her wrap and the towel surrounding the hot water bottle since the temp creeped up after I changed the water a little while ago.
Will check to see if I have the antibiotic, if not, will get some. She doesn't seem sickly or too distressed.
Fed her with a medicine dropper but will go buy one of those little nipple syringe things. Have some tiny syringes that are sterile.
Will buy her whatever sort of cage she needs and will get a proper scale. She's about 3 inches long. She has hair all over her tail and outside of her body, underside is pink and hairless. She likes being touched in an easy way and I'm talking to her like hmmmmm and ahhhhh and I tell her I love her.
Thank you so much for the advice and help! Have a good feeling about this baby! Will take her with us tomorrow since the trip is a long one and don't want to leave her alone.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Very good job! She will need a night feeding at this age. Don't give her any antibiotics if she doesn't really need them, because it might upset her stomach and she can build up a tolerance.

Talking to her won't do any good, because her ears are still closed, she can't hear you. I try not to talk to the wildlife at all, since I want to release them and not get them used to my voice.

Remember, you are only the nurse on the infant ward right now, mother nature will want her baby back when she's old enough (in about 3 months, they take forever to mature and you have to give her even longer in the winter, but we'll get to that later).

I'm going to go to bed now..I suggest you give her some pedialyte during the night once and then again in the morning before you go to the store. See that you get Esbilac, the puppy milk replacer powder (not liquid).

As to the cage, a ferret cage would be great, where she can learn how to climb and all and that you can also put outside for a few hours every day without breaking your back carrying it. Like so..a 2 story would do too!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Thanks! Will do!
You rest easy and know I am very grateful for all the help.