Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Present from my cat

Hi,just thought I would add my two cents worth I used a medicine dropper for most of my squirrels and I thought that was actually easier to use than a syringe. I felt I had more control over the food with the dropper.
I know that cats saliva can kill baby squirrels if they get bit or something but I don't think just their breath can kill them. We have cats and squirrels and the cats actually slept on top of the squirrels cage and the squirrels are just fine.
I think MissDoolittle has raised more squirrels than I have so she is just the person to help you I just thought I would add a bit. I hope your little guy does very well.
Oh, by the way do you know if it is a boy or a girl?
We have a little female squirrel that is about 2.5 months old now. She is totally blind in one eye and has limited sight in the other.
Well, keep us posted on your babies progress.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Thanks Fluffytail .

Cats carry a bunch of different bacteria that are lethal to small animals and birds. Here are some facts:

The most common are Pasteurella, Actinomyces, Propionibacterium, Bacteroides, Fusobacterium, Clostridium, Wolinella, Peptostreptococcus, Staphylococcus, and Streptococcus species.

Most will attack a rodents lungs or nervous system and are lethal within 12-24 hours. Most are gram negative, but you need a wide spectrum antibiotic and really treat aggressively.

Tularemia, also known as "rabbit fever" is an acute febrile illness caused by Francisella tularensis. Rodents are very susceptible to the disease that usually causes a fatal septicemia within hours.

Like all the other bacteria that cats carry in their saliva, it can be transmitted by breathing on them, licking, sharing food dishes - anything that would transmit saliva.

Cats really don't mix well with any other small pets, if you ask me, no matter how cute it might look to the human eye.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-11-2007, 02:06 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the advice on the dropper. We have been using an eyedropper and it's working fine and today we went to the pet store and found two other types of feeder things to try. Whatever the baby likes the best is what we will use.
She's a little girl and we named her Sheila. Sheila is doing so well and we are very pleased.
Miss Dolittle, I tried to write you a little while ago and after I got the letter written I somehow got logged out and the letter didn't send so I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice. I will keep in touch on Sheila's progress and will ask my daughter to help me get some pictures of Sheila to share with everyone, I don't know much about computer things like that.
Thank you,
Nadine
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

That's good news! I was afraid she didn't make it through the night and that's why you didn't write again..hapheeeeeeeeeeew!!

My personal experience with eyedroppers has been a negative one. I found it such a hassle to refill the thing every few swallows (once the squirrel eats more and more) and it made no difference from the bottle. Once the squirrel starts suckling on it, it has even a bigger hole than the nipple on the bottle and they usually aspirate on it as well.

I tried everything I could find and found that syringes are the best. I order mine from the Squirrel Store here: http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/
Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Here are pictures of Sheila that Nadine sent to me via email:

Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the help posting the photos of Sheila! As she grows I'll send in more and hopefully soon I'll learn how to get them here myself.
Went and got the goodies to build her a nice indoor cage, wish us luck getting it made!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Sheila is so cute! What a fat little thing.
Good luck on building your cage!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Awwww What a cutie she is.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Update on Sheila.
Sheila's eyes opened yesterday! She comes out of the nest in her cage when we call to her to come eat and steps up into our hands. We found her a couple of nice bottles at the vet clinic and she is liking them much better than the dropper. As soon as I can I will get some current pictures and send them in, she's getting so big! I still don't know how to put the pictures up here directly so if it's alright with you Miss D, I will send them to you?
We are having a wonderful time with Sheila and she seems to really like us.
Happy face smiley!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Send away, hun! What good news!

Now that the eyes are open, it's time to start her on solid foods already! Start with Cheerios. Just leave a few in the cage with her, offer her some. In a few days she might start showing interest and nibbles a bit on it.

Next time you go to the store, stop at the baby food section and get a few glasses with apple sauce (do not use the non-baby kind, too many preservatives toxic to squirrels), some with veggies and other fruits...skip the meaty kinds.

A small piece of apple, half a grape, piece of banana, broccoli, califlower, all the good stuff give only as treats...except broccoli because that's high in calcium. I had one squirrel eating that stuff up, he looooved his broccoli! lol

How much direct sunllight/hours outside is she getting a day?